Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrowcopter in the UK

Last autumn or a few days.
    Last edited by Steve_UK; 06-28-2015, 11:41 PM.

Correct, awaiting final section T certification. The CAA is understaffed and has had many delays, but soon hopefully!

Comment

Any news yet?

The CAA can work pretty slowly at times.
      Leigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_UK
        I have no more news on this - as at this moment G-SKNY does not appear on the official UK aircraft register.

I assume the process is still in progress - maybe slowness with the CAA - maybe slowness with Arrowcopter.

On a related tangent I note that Jason appears ( I may be wrong ) to have a "N" number reserved that *might* relate to the Arrowcopter he has on order - hopefully not long till that arrives in the US.

Any Arrowcopter production news would be welcome.
        Steve, yes, it's still in progress. There were delays with the CAA, but it's back on track finally.

As to the reserved N number, yes that's for my AC-20. I fly out to Austria in a few weeks to complete the assembly. Looking to have it here in mid December. It'll be N713TX. It'll be fully loaded, so should be a great example!

Comment

I can confirm this.

-- Chris.
          Read about my trip across the USA in an MT03 gyro here.

Comment

Well done to all involved. Met Chris/John very briefly at Chiltern Park earlier this year while he was still waiting. Glad to see that patience rewarded.
            Leigh.

Comment

Before you get too excited, registering an aircraft doesn't mean much. The entry on G-INFO makes no reference to a permit to fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_UK
                Arrowcopter now join the short approved list - Auto-Gyro, Magni and Arrowcopter. Raising standards.
                Gary Layzell was the first to achieve it, all on his own.
                Unfortunately standards (debatable in some cases) are now raised so high that gyros are no longer affordable flying for many a wannabe.
                While the Arrowcopter is undoubtedly gorgeous, and the pinnacle of current development, in reality it'll never be anything more than a fantasy for most of us.

Is that the same T. Terbolt of the old BRA newsletters of the 90's? :)

Comment

"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it"

Comment

It was perhaps premature excitement. I should know these things, but then we are all dreamers to various extents.
                    Leigh.

Comment

Are you saying it's UK registered with a G yet without permit so cant fly ?
                      in the same way a PFA project build gets a reg when you are building ?.
                      so Am I right that it still has to go through section T or is that aready done ?
                      any price yet ?
                      looks georgous !

Comment

Hi Steve, I don't know the story in any detail. Just that the interaction between the company and the CAA took much longer than anticipated. In the meanwhile the owner of the machine, understandably, lost patience and didn't want to wait any longer. That's why the ArrowCopter is up for sale. Don't know about modifications, but meanwhile this ArrowCopter has been standing around, the type has evolved further. I assume that it is the last model revisions which is about to be certified by the CAA.

-- Chris.
                        Read about my trip across the USA in an MT03 gyro here.

Comment

A long wait is a familiar story in the gyro world.
                          Leigh.

Comment

Have heard a new avenue is now being pursued to get this machine at least into the air. Single seat certification and an airspeed limitation.

A huge reduction from what could have been anticipated from a machine of this calibre but if it get’s her off the ground a bitterweet victory of sorts.

70 is a figure I heard, but no confirmation over Kts or mph. This apparently to avoid the ‘phugoid oscillation’ that was apparently discovered on the test flying conducted by Chris taylor for the CAA, for the section T certification.
                            Leigh.

Comment

Phugoid oscillations are normal. They simply have to be reducing in amplitude over time going back towards close to (usually within 10% of starting airspeed) original condition.
                              So I guess what this tells me is that past close to 77 knots, they found the Arrowcopter tail to not dampen enough so they set the speed to 90% of it. A tail like 3 vert bottom can be adjusted in its negative incidence a little to get adjustment on this but a tail like that of Arrowcopter would be harder to adjust this angle on. This could be fixed rather simply but not at this stage on that machine

Comment

Working...
                              X