No announcement yet.

Buying an ArrowCopter second hand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is the head room for a 6ft tall pilot in the Arrowcopter? I heard the Calidus doesn't have enough head room.

Comment

I am 6'4" and I have no problem.
      Read about my trip across the USA in an MT03 gyro here.

Comment

Delighted to hear that it is still up and running. Though beyond my means, though a serious intention at one time, I was hugely grateful to Chris for my visit to the factory and chance to experience this machine.

It remains as the 'supercar' of the gyro world, and Chris as probably one of the best placed people to offer any advice or insight to this particular gyro.
        Leigh.

Comment

Originally posted by ckurz7000 View Post
          On my machine I run out of nose down trim at around 170-180 km/h. That means that I have to apply gentle forward pressure to fly faster than that. That's all. It is not a sudden pitching up or anything. Just that the trim maxes out at around that speed and so you need to maintain a bit of forward pressure.

I have consulted with the company on the matter of developing a v2 of the ArrowCopter. On the top of my list is a differential incidence horizontal stabilizer which would make it the first gyro certified with this feature after Cierva's, I believe. This would obviate the need of a laterally offset rotorhead while at the same time providing improved stability in the case of loss of rotor thrust. A few improvements could be made to further streamline the fuselage, particularly in the rear section. This would make an already slick gyro even slicker. Depending on funds available, I would also look into a new rotor design with a new airfoil because the trusted old NACA8H12 isn't the best one out there. I would also increase cabin space to accommodate more stow room. That's about it.

I am also sure that, as the Rotax 915 iS becomes available, that it will become an option for the ArrowCopter. This requires some amendement to the certification, though.

I have no idea how one could scrape the rudder with either the spur or the tailwheel installed. I certainly haven't managed and I make a point of landing touching the spur first.

Greetings, -- Chris.
          Chris: Have you tried using some gurney flaps tabs on your gyroplane tail instead of a full differential incidence tail? Try them not only can you mess with them and adjust their angle but they work to take torque away. Sikorsky and Bell use them on helicopter HS as well.

Comment

I have thought about using full length trim tabs to experiment. Will get around to doimg that one day.

Comment

I have thought about using full length trim tabs to experiment. Will get around to doimg that one day.

Comment

Originally posted by ckurz7000 View Post
                Try it. They can in essence have the same effect as differential lift and they work. Unlike the popular conception here that they won't be effective on tails that are at the bottom of propeller arc, I am here to tell you, they are most effective on that style tail. They in fact may be less effective on a centered tail comparatively but you'll have to check it out. Let me know what you find. It would be very interesting to know

Comment

Originally posted by fara View Post

Try it. They can in essence have the same effect as differential lift and they work. Unlike the popular conception here that they won't be effective on tails that are at the bottom of propeller arc, I am here to tell you, they are most effective on that style tail. They in fact may be less effective on a centered tail comparatively but you'll have to check it out. Let me know what you find. It would be very interesting to know
                  YES Abid ...... I can attest to the dramatic influence of a full / long trim tab on the tail rudder of new-generation tandem gyro! Those who know the story behind my wild first flight at Mentone this year ...after my TE tail trimtab had been deliberately & artfully totally reversed ( & to my shame not noticed!) ....during the week on display at Airventure! ....... That little bit of bent metal on the tail ...REALLY is effective!!!!
                  Chris T.
                  3Rs - Rotors rock & rule!

"Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape." Buck B.

Time flies if you can but only the slowest.

PRA# 4212
                  EAA# 1126845
                  AOPA#08888697

Comment

Working...
                  X