Autoflight Redrive on 2.5 Subaru

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Does anyone see any problems with venting my redrive out of the top plug ?

Attachments

• IM000346.jpg
    IM000346.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 11
On my Hirth G-40 Gearbox; the vent was located on the top. I was constantly getting residual oil on my prop and tail. While at Bensen Days; I saw Dave Seace machine had a Banjo Bolt in that location with a piece of hose running up to the mast.
There was not enough room to mount that way on mine (because of the pre-rotor); so I put the banjo bolt into the top/upper oriented plug hole and routed the hose to a location up on the mast. Works great. Any oils which get splashed out the hole and travel up into the tube, just condense and drain back down into the gearbox.
Here is a photo I took during Mentone 2015. I had a clutch issue and had to remove the gearbox. On the left side of the gearbox, you can see the Banjo Bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_4655.jpg
    IMG_4655.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The tube works but in mome cases you need to put a chamber on the end of the line to capture and hold the oil, sometimes filling this chamber with pot scrubber material helps if you are still loosing a little oil.
Norm.

Thanks guys ! I figure that will do it, but I want to see what Neil has to say about his very specific venting.

There are three of the same type & thread plugs on it (top, side,bottom) 2 machine shops today could not identify the plug & thread. I might have them retapped for the smallest pipe thread I can do.

While were on the subject of Autoflight Redrives. How much gear oil and what weight do they recommend?

I have that & will post it later.

Bobby, here it is.....

Castrol Syntrax 75W/90 synthetic Manual transmission oil.

Weather is beautiful......took the bike to AutoZone & earned another point.

I think this is the stuff that Neil specs in his instructions. (not trans fluid )

Larry B. suggested the speed wax for my rotor blades.....thought I would give it a try.

Attachments

• IM000351.jpg
    IM000351.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 5
Well, it seems 3/8" pipe fittings fit the threaded plug holes pretty well, so I will try using them. If they leak, I will remove gearbox cover & tap them for that thread.

British pipe parallel thread........anyone know this ?

New fuel lines , leaky bushings, installed new viton bushings, powered panel. primed fuel pump(aux) think I need checks. Next power computer & see what happens.

Won't be long till I fire her up !!!

IM000360.JPG

Attachments

• IM000360.JPG
    IM000360.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 12
NO Way !!! Someone even cares ! I have not been in much of a hurry sooo...... Tomorrow we will be wrenching on Andy's SH again but I am totally ready to fire her up. I will let you all know ! I am excited & thrilled but I give away so much of my time that I don't get my own stuff done.

BTW.....I did bump the key to try out the starter without the prop on & she fired instantly...woops. I know she will start & the prop is all torqued down.....what a beast she is !

Next.... run it , adjust the prop pitch, & check gauges & look for Check engine codes !

Last edited:
Bobby, here it is.....

Castrol Syntrax 75W/90 synthetic Manual transmission oil.
Does this old post still seem accurate for the Autoflight gearbox? New lubricants are out there and want to verify.

If I had an Autoflight PSRU I would contact Neil at Autoflight if I wanted the latest information about it.

If I had an Autoflight PSRU I would contact Neil at Autoflight if I wanted the latest information about it.
Thx Vance, but apparently easier said than done. I have an email address I will try but from posts I've seen on the forum he is hard to contact. Hope all is well with you. Hope to get the Shredo going soon.

85W/140 is the oil recommended for my Hirth box with a BMW K1200RS engine

Hi David, I have three photos that show the breather system on my autoflight re-drive and the white reservoir bottle is mounted higher for breathing purposes. I found it important to have as big a fitting attached to the top plug which acts as a chamber which allows air to seperate from any oil pushed out. You'll find that this backs off as the oil temperature rises and the oil will drain back via gravity. Hope this will help!

IMG_0788.jpg IMG_0789.jpg IMG_0790.jpg

Mark, that is the first SUB4 redrive picture that I have seen. It looks quite well gusseted.
Did anyone pick up the ball and are they still being cast ?
Brian