Autoflight Redrive on 2.5 Subaru

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autoflight Redrive on 2.5 Subaru

Does anyone see any problems with venting my redrive out of the top plug ?
    Attached Files
    Happy Flying, Chris S.

On my Hirth G-40 Gearbox; the vent was located on the top. I was constantly getting residual oil on my prop and tail. While at Bensen Days; I saw Dave Seace machine had a Banjo Bolt in that location with a piece of hose running up to the mast.
    There was not enough room to mount that way on mine (because of the pre-rotor); so I put the banjo bolt into the top/upper oriented plug hole and routed the hose to a location up on the mast. Works great. Any oils which get splashed out the hole and travel up into the tube, just condense and drain back down into the gearbox.
    Here is a photo I took during Mentone 2015. I had a clutch issue and had to remove the gearbox. On the left side of the gearbox, you can see the Banjo Bolt.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gyro28866; 02-15-2017, 05:15 AM.
    David McCutchen
    615-390-2228
    Bensen B7m, 90 hp Mac
    Dominator Tandem, 100 hp Hirth
    Kolb Mark III Classic, 80 hp Verner
    Certified - Advanced Master Beef Producer
    EAA Member #0511805
    PRA Member #28866
    PRA Chapter 16 Member
    Secretary & Treasure - PRA Chapter 16
    President / Sylvia - Yellow Creek Volunteer Fire Dept.
    Chairmen - Dickson County Veteran's Day Committee
    Volunteer - Dickson County Airport Aviation Day Committee
    2 busy 2 No!

Comment

The tube works but in mome cases you need to put a chamber on the end of the line to capture and hold the oil, sometimes filling this chamber with pot scrubber material helps if you are still loosing a little oil.
      Norm.

Comment

Thanks guys ! I figure that will do it, but I want to see what Neil has to say about his very specific venting.

There are three of the same type & thread plugs on it (top, side,bottom) 2 machine shops today could not identify the plug & thread. I might have them retapped for the smallest pipe thread I can do.
        Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

While were on the subject of Autoflight Redrives. How much gear oil and what weight do they recommend?
          Bobby Munroe
          Private Pilot (SEL)
          PRA Chapter 62 #42748
          EAA #1160523

Comment

I have that & will post it later.
            Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

Bobby, here it is.....

Castrol Syntrax 75W/90 synthetic Manual transmission oil.
              Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

Weather is beautiful......took the bike to AutoZone & earned another point.

I think this is the stuff that Neil specs in his instructions. (not trans fluid )

Larry B. suggested the speed wax for my rotor blades.....thought I would give it a try.
                Attached Files
                Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

Well, it seems 3/8" pipe fittings fit the threaded plug holes pretty well, so I will try using them. If they leak, I will remove gearbox cover & tap them for that thread.
                  Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

British pipe parallel thread........anyone know this ?
                    Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

New fuel lines , leaky bushings, installed new viton bushings, powered panel. primed fuel pump(aux) think I need checks. Next power computer & see what happens.

Won't be long till I fire her up !!!
                      Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000360.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1118885 trying to post some bigger pics
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IM000360.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.3 KB ID:	1118884

Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

How goes the battle? You fire the engine yet?
                          Jerry
                          435-201-9888

Comment

NO Way !!! Someone even cares ! I have not been in much of a hurry sooo...... Tomorrow we will be wrenching on Andy's SH again but I am totally ready to fire her up. I will let you all know ! I am excited & thrilled but I give away so much of my time that I don't get my own stuff done.

BTW.....I did bump the key to try out the starter without the prop on & she fired instantly...woops. I know she will start & the prop is all torqued down.....what a beast she is !

Next.... run it , adjust the prop pitch, & check gauges & look for Check engine codes !
                            Last edited by CLS447; 07-14-2017, 11:21 AM.
                            Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

Working...
                            X