Rebuilt

Txgyropilot

Tom Duncan
Aircraft
Aviomania G2sB Genesis Duo
Total Flight Time
170 Ultralight FW, 500 Gyro, 15 GA
Getting ready to fly. I started the rebuild last July and would have finished last Fall, but, we decided that the MZ 202 with the 3.11 to 1 redrive was not going to be enough.

Scott Essex sold me a rebuilt zero time grey head 582 and I finished the installation recently. We had an issue with the water temperature and I was encouraged to move the radiator to its location in the picture. This winter I will lay it back down where I originally had it to get it out of in front the rudder in case of an engine out.

Jon Carleton has flown it twice with a few recommended adjustments and it is now ready. I will be balancing on the mains this weekend with hopes to solo prior to Wrens.

More details are on the peachstaterotorcraft.org site under my build thread titled "One More Air Command" (it is the third one in our hanger in Cedartown).

Attachments

• Air Command Taxi Training.jpg
    Air Command Taxi Training.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 3
Help

Help

Congratulations Tom.

Thanks Jeff, you David and all the guys in our club helped me make this dream come true with quality advice and actual helping hands each step of the way.

Peach State Rotorcraft Club has been a real blessing. I had help from most of the membership in our club. The advice, help and encouragement from each of you was greatly appreciated!

Jon Carleton has been the job foreman so to speak for the rebuild and now as a CFI is providing me with the needed final steps for my training that started with Craig McPherson while I was in Texas and recently with Greg Spicola in Florida.

According to Jon my machine ,that he labeled as "The Beast" last year with MZ on it, flies great. I am patiently training to get her in the air to find out for myself!

Way to go Tom!!
Way to enjoy life to the fullest!!

Awesome news Tom

Awesome news Tom

remembering ... the start of your journey ... looking @ a UL butterfly - wayback when! ...... SO much water under the bridges since then!
Wishing you all success in this exciting stage ... sounds like you are doing it slow, patient & right! ... with guidance from great experienced guys & CFI Greg S!:yo:
Enjoy! :whoo:

remembering ... the start of your journey ... looking @ a UL butterfly - wayback when! ...... SO much water under the bridges since then!
Wishing you all success in this exciting stage ... sounds like you are doing it slow, patient & right! ... with guidance from great experienced guys & CFI Greg S!:yo:
Enjoy! :whoo:
Thanks Chris!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My training in gyroplanes has taken a number of years. It started over 10 years ago with 2 intro flights with Steve McGowan, then I had over 10 hours dual in Texas with Craig McPherson and I took it back up last month with Greg Spicola for another 2.5 hours.

I learned from all three of those instructors along with a number of fixed wing GA and UL instructors, all in 2 place machines.

Now I am experiencing training in my own single place gyro with Jon Carleton. It has been phenomenonal. Jon uses a crawl, walk, run strategy for the student to get to know their machine.

The first step was for me to taxi with the blades tied. This taught me how to keep the machine under control with terrible brakes.

The next exercise was getting on the runway, spinning the blades up and running down the runway up to 20 mph IAS. This helped me get familiar with blade management/flap prevention. During this phase I learned to use the blades as a brake. This made life much easier, my brakes are terrible.

Yesterday he had me increase my thrust/speed up until the nose popped up with the stick full back, adding throttle, keeping the nose up to ride on the tail wheel, up and down the runway. What a blast! I saw rotor rpms of 250 to 280. I learned to use the rudder to stay straight down the center stripe and to straighten the nose wheel when I let it down by reducing the throttle.

The next drill will be to balance on the mains by easing the stick forward while adjusting the throttle as needed.

Once I have balancing mastered, we will go to the next step with a few crow hops, then pattern work.

Balanced on the mains this morning! Added a new seat cover.
42630388c314050c8a780171cbbc8ecc.jpg

Congratulations Tom, looking forward to meeting at you at Wrens.

After balancing on the mains several days in a row at Wrens this past weekend in my gyroplane, my flight instructor Jon and I agreed that once we got back to Cedartown at our home airport with a couple of solid runs up and down the runway balancing, that I would be ready to do Crow Hops.

That's exactly what happened today. After several runs balancing on the mains, I made three takeoffs and three perfect Landings and we called it a day!

Next time out, I will fly straight down the length of the runway and land. Then fly the runway again adding S turns and land. Take off again, climbing to 500 feet above ground level and fly the complete pattern and land again.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

I flew in the pattern for a little over an hour yesterday. I made 10 Landings and adjusted the trim on the rudder and it flies great.

https://youtu.be/y4b-IMnw4F8

This past weekend I flew for 2.5 hours, some of which was at altitude watching my hanger mates, Trell and Kurt, yank and back down in the fields northwest of our airport.

I am learning more and more about my gyroplane's capabilities and it is a much better flying machine than anything I have ever flown. This weekend I noticed its ability to climb at 5900 rpm, which is a typical cruise setting, just by pulling back on the stick to fly slow. In just a few minutes I climbed from 1100' AGL to over 2000' at 40 mph IAS.

I made more adjustments to the trim tab and trim spring, checked the gear oil and began installing a fuel transfer pump from the auxiliary tanks to the seat tank. I currently have it where it works off both tanks without the transfer. However, it seems to burn off the seat before the auxiliary tanks and I really prefer fuel in the main tank for takeoffs and landings once I start doing cross countries.

Awesome Tom!
Are we gonna see you in NC in a few weeks?

I am not sure? I am going to Salt Lake City on the 17th and may not be back in Atlanta until Thursday night. I will let you know.

I am considering to move the pedals forward as a winter project to fit my long legs.

It will require making new tubes from the mast forward and new rudder cables.

Thoughts?

Last edited: