Pics or Drawings of SH Alternator Mounting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics or Drawings of SH Alternator Mounting

Does anyone have either to show me. Anything would be appreciated.
    Happy Flying, Chris S.

What is an "SH".

Best regards,
    Best Regards,
    Eddie Sigman,Polvadera,nm
    (575) 835-4921

Comment

Sparrow Hawk... was what I read it as.
      Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!
      Cheers,
      John Rountree

PRA- Director
      PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
      http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
      See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

Comment

Text from the assembly manual is very short:

"Mount the Alternator to the Engine block using the mounting bracket S01-620-4033-01. See drawing S01-620-0008 for mounting details. Drill a 3/8” hole in two of the alternator “feet”. Do not drill out the hole in the tensioning arm on the top side of the alternator as this is a 8mm tapped hole. Make sure the engine and alternator pulleys are aligned by using a steel rule or a straight edge across the face of the engine pulley and checking the position of the alternator pulley. The position of the alternator can be adjusted by adding washers between the rod ends and the alternator “feet” and the rod ends can also be adjusted vertically for angular alignment."

Hope this helps.

One additional note: check if your rodends for alternator mount are good and has clear identification. On the third or fourth SH which I assembled these rodends had no markings and one of them broke like glass in flight after only few hours.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by twistair; 02-04-2017, 01:33 AM.
        Alex Lameko
        Russian gyroforum
        Visit my collection of gyro videos

Comment

Twistair, thank you so much for taking the time to post this for me !

Looking at the drawing, it appears the belt runs on the 5 groove portion of the crank pulley. But not the first groove.

I was determined to line up the 4 groove pulley on the alt with the 4 groove portion of the crank pulley.

In the pics it appears as though you used 2 short bolts instead of 1 long bolt, which precludes the use of a spacer between the rod ends.

Thanks again, you have been very helpful to me.

Do you know what alternator that was supplied with the kit ?

Is the fan important ?
          Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

I would strongly recommend a spacer between those lugs. This takes the side load off of the alternator lugs and the rod ends.

Don't forget, I had a rod end break and so did Twistair. What did we both have in common with both our rod end failures? No spacer!

After mine broke it was obvious to make a spacer to take a lot of the stress off.

Sure, we both could have had brittle rod ends, but a spacer would have helped even a brittle rod end. I of course replaced both rod ends with Heims if I recall correctly.
            Curved stairway builder

Enjoy life...consider eternity.

www.stansstairways.com

Comment

In the pics it appears as though you used 2 short bolts instead of 1 long bolt, which precludes the use of a spacer between the rod ends.
              I think two bolts were used in the very first batch of SH kits, back in 2003-2004. This gyro which is on my photos (blue frame) was the very first SH which flew from the Groens kit. I believe the drawing with one long bolt was issued later. Anyway I'm ready to agree with Stan that one long bolt+spacer is more proper setup. BTW this 2-short-bolts setups still serve on two first SHs I assembled - they still live somewhere in Siberia.

Do you know what alternator that was supplied with the kit ?
              From my remarks (it was more than 10 years ago) it was AUTOLITE #14597, 45 Ampers

Is the fan important ?
              No idea =) I just used that one which came in the kit. Interesting question indeed.

PS. Some additional info on alternator model here on the forum: http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31110
              Last edited by twistair; 02-09-2017, 02:25 PM.
              Alex Lameko
              Russian gyroforum
              Visit my collection of gyro videos

Comment

Chris,
                Yes the fan is important, it's for cooling and also keeps dust from building up which will cause premature failure.
                Rodney

Comment

You guys are pretty awesome. I just bought an original SH that already had just over 300 hrs in the build. Alot of parts still left and hours to complete and these diagrams are nothing compared to the actual photographs.
                  Clearly, I will have to rely heavily on the experience and knowledge of actual builders of the SH.
                  Thank you all for your time and effort to make Rotary Wing forum what it is. Many questions to follow!

Comment

Working...
                  X