sparrowhawk vs autogyro

rod390511

I was inquiring about sparrowhawk gyro's.How do they fly compared to an mto sport. I have flown the mto but not the sparrowhawk. Do the sparrowhawks fly well. Do you think they are safe ETC. Is there a big difference in the sparrowhawk with the ej22 and the ej25.

Last edited:
Stick to the MTO. The Sparrow hawk is sluggish and draggy.

I agree with Texasautogyro. Plus with the 2.2 soob it would be a real dog. But if your looking for side by side and roomy. The Sparrow Hawk might meet your needs.

You can't compare an enclosed cockpit to an open one. Two very different machines.
The Sparrowhawk is great with a new student. I can watch him and explain much easier than tandem.

My Sparrowhawk has 165HP Sub on it It has plenty of power.

It will seem a little draggy. But, your pushing a windshield over twice that of a tandem.

Apples to oranges.

Apples to oranges.

I liked flying the SparrowHawk and it had plenty of power and speed for the kind of flying I like to do.

I like flying the MTO because I prefer an open tandem.

It is a personal choice and has to do with the sort of missions you like to fly and where you fly them.

There have been times flying our open tandem where doors and a heater would have been a definite plus.

We can give you better answers if you fill out you profile as to experience and ratings.

We have several Wellingtons in the USA although I suspect you are from New Zealand.

Your local weather may be part of the decision making process for the best gyroplane.

Thank you, Vance

American Autogyro Still Selling Kits?

American Autogyro Still Selling Kits?

Are Sparrowhawk Kits still available?

It's very much a personal choice.
Like choosing to drive a Vette or a cube van.
:rolleyes:

It’s like comparing apples and coconuts. A more fair comparison would be the Cavalon compared to the SparrowHawk.

I guess it depends whether you want the best apple or whether you are trying to decide on a coconut or an apple.

It's very much a personal choice.
Like choosing to drive a Vette or a cube van.
:rolleyes:

I have flown in both... I was thinking more like a Mazda Miata vs a Chevy Cruz... One is fun to drive, the other is more about creature comforts. Having said that, one could find a deal on a SparrowHawk or an RAF2000... Be SURE it is CLT though... :)

Each person makes their choice... personally, open flying is for me... albeit a windshield and nose are nice on XC flights. If I wanted to fly in a closed cabin, I would find a wrecked Cessna and rebuild it to Experimental... :plane:

or

20th C compared to 21st C

One is fun to drive, the other is more about creature comforts. Having said that, one could find a deal on a SparrowHawk or an RAF2000... Be SURE it is CLT though... :)

:

John, if you flew an RAF with a good HS, the HTL thing is just not an issue. Ask any RAF driver.

What does a MTO cost? How much money can you afford to risk in a roll over?

What would you have invested in an RAF?

Different machines for sure. I can afford the RAF not the MTO.

I have flown in both... I was thinking more like a Mazda Miata vs a Chevy Cruz... One is fun to drive, the other is more about creature comforts. Having said that, one could find a deal on a SparrowHawk or an RAF2000... Be SURE it is CLT though... :)

Each person makes their choice... personally, open flying is for me... albeit a windshield and nose are nice on XC flights. If I wanted to fly in a closed cabin, I would find a wrecked Cessna and rebuild it to Experimental... :plane:

John, if you flew an RAF with a good HS, the HTL thing is just not an issue. Ask any RAF driver.

The point of my reference Stan was for beginners. You and I are seasoned FW guys; IMO (In My Opinion), a beginner would be better served with fewer things to 'manage' until they understand flight.

I am sure folks will disagree with me... however it is just my opinion: Learn to fly on something 'easy'... then graduate to one's choice of bird.
Many folks told me to get a single and learn to fly it... then graduate to a twin. I fought this idea for a while, then realized this: Flying a light single is like driving a small sports car... flying a larger twin is like driving a larger car. The nimble-ness of the single requires a finer touch in the stick. IMO if one learns to fly that nimble touch of a stick... they will be able to fly anything they get into.

Just my $0.02 worth... let the flames begin... :)

Last edited:

Sadly, this applies to many of us, myself included.

I flew with Desmon at Benson Days 2013, and if $$$ was not an object I would buy an MTO in a minute for my first gyro... it handles as nicely as a single. However... a $65-75K gyro is out of my budget... short of a lottery win. SOOO...

If I want to fly, it will be an economical bird... :)

If you look at the wheelbase and CG height, seems the MTO is much less likely to roll-over...and easier to get your money back out of it.

...and easier to get your money back out of it.

Because there are fewer buyers for the big ticket machines, I believe you would likely get more of your investment back on an RAF. A Dominator has great resale value but is much easier to tip over than most other models. You can wreck any of them of coarse, it's just a matter of how big of an investment you can afford to lose.

Because there are fewer buyers for the big ticket machines, I believe you would likely get more of your investment back on an RAF...

Stan, I don't know about your conclusion, but I absolutely disagree with the premise that there are more prospective buyers at the low end. I think there are more people willing to pay $70K for a machine with the style, fit and finish of an MTO with a certified aircraft engine, than there are willing to pay $35K for bolted aluminum, a converted Subaru, and more homemade look of an RAF.

As far as holding value, I believe MTO prospects are less likely to be willing to build than RAF prospects, which means MTOs are worth more used than they are as a new kit. Conversely, RAFs have traditionally sold for less used than they do as new, unbuilt kits.

(I would expect markets where the MTO can be sold factory-built to be just the opposite, with prospects valuing new machines higher than used.)

The MT-03 morphed in to todays MTOsport over a 10 year period.

Production continues with over 1055 examples delivered to customers - note they are only delivered as "kits" to the USA - everyone else gets a complete flyaway machine. Travel the World and you see them almost everywhere.

Pilots and instructor pilots seem plenty happy to purchase at the price ( certified gyro, one of only a handful to pass Section T, with a purpose built aero engine ( no wreck sled ) - facts not vapor.

In a few years time the first bunch of MTOs ( plus some Magni M16/22 too ) will become available on the secondhand market in the US, hopefully at a more reasonable price - this will impact on the re-sale value of the older 20th C gyros too.

Steve