Sparrowhawk 1/2/3 build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparrowhawk 1/2/3 build

Every Saturday Andy & I work on his SH. We now mounted the ECU behind the seat & are going to start the wiring process.

I suggested that we run PVC conduit from the rear of the cabin to the front & attach it to the"feet" that hold the cabin to the keel.

It would have taken alot of heating & bending. I then produced a section of this flexible blue plastic conduit & we decided to use that. Possibly 2 seperate pipes on both sides of the keel , under the toe plate, and curled right into the back of the instrument pod.

I stopped a Lowe's yesterday morning & the had it on clearance !!! So I got 3 lengths of 3/4" for Andy, & 2 connectors. I think it will work out real nice & we could paint it black if he wants to.

I wonder how others have run their wires ?
    Happy Flying, Chris S.

Stephen
    Cedar City, UT
    N613HH

Comment

I looked for your real name.....no luck. Mine is Chris & I am helping build Andy's SH. Thank you for the pics of your machine.

I am guessing this is not the Subaru engine management system. It seems to me that SH has complicated the wiring pretty good.

The way I wired my SxS with 2.5 was as simple as I could make it. I don't even use a master solenoid. They even have us switching the ECU controlled fuel pump (primary). I told Andy that there are hundreds of ways to wire this stuff, but I like to keep it simple.

What are the metal "straps" that lead to the seat belt attachment points ?

How did you "fix" your fuel tanks ? (fuel proof )

We will be using a small breaker & switch panel (barely fits ), Skydat ? RRPM & small radio & transponder.

Thanks for the interest & I will keep you posted on progress.......here are some photos before wiring.....better ones to follow.
      Attached Files
      Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS447 View Post
        I looked for your real name.....no luck. Mine is Chris & I am helping build Andy's SH. Thank you for the pics of your machine.

I am guessing this is not the Subaru engine management system. It seems to me that SH has complicated the wiring pretty good.

The way I wired my SxS with 2.5 was as simple as I could make it. I don't even use a master solenoid. They even have us switching the ECU controlled fuel pump (primary). I told Andy that there are hundreds of ways to wire this stuff, but I like to keep it simple.

What are the metal "straps" that lead to the seat belt attachment points ?

How did you "fix" your fuel tanks ? (fuel proof )

We will be using a small breaker & switch panel (barely fits ), Skydat ? RRPM & small radio & transponder.

Thanks for the interest & I will keep you posted on progress.......here are some photos before wiring.....better ones to follow.
        Stephen, Cedar City, UT
        ECU is the SDS EM4F. I used the originally specified fuse panels but also used in-line button breakers on the front panel by the switches. The fuses are rated higher than the breakers so they blow only if the breaker fails. Also have electric trim so I had to prototype a relay system instead of spending big $ for a manufactured.
        The straps are seat belt extension brackets to allow using more standard racing type belt options. Quite a distance from the attach points.
        All fuel tank fittings are external, ref Sparrowhawk II and III instructions. My tanks were Groen Bros prototypes that are Ethonol safe but I still use 91 non ethanol fuel.
        Let me know if you want other information. n613hh@gmail.com
        Last edited by n613hh; 10-13-2017, 08:49 AM.
        Stephen
        Cedar City, UT
        N613HH

Comment

Thank you for sharing your fine workmanship with the Rotary Wing Forum Stephen.

I find it inspiring to see such thought and care put into the construction of a gyroplane.

I look forward to following your flying adventures.
          Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

Thanks Vance. We met each other in Brigham City 2 years ago. Has airworthiness completed and is at Pegasus in Nephi for test flying. Hopefully Mike and Mark will have it ready soon!
            Last edited by n613hh; 10-13-2017, 04:41 PM.
            Stephen
            Cedar City, UT
            N613HH

Comment

Saturday is almost here again ! This week we plan to mount the battery & the master solenoid & start making the main cables.

The terminal ends supplied are the right cable size but not the right bolt/mount size......so we are going to DEKA battery to get what we need.

The above sentences were started this morning, then I got sidetracked & left for the day..... I just got back on the puter & saw I never posted. The new forum saved my post, How nice is that !

Then I saw some responses to the thread I was gonna post on.

Nice work Stephen ! I am sure Andy & me will have some questions for you, but right now I am on my 2nd Margherita & I am tired !

I also think I tracked in some dog**** & I am trying hard to find the source of the smell.....how nice is that ?

Good Night all, I will call Andy & tell him to absorb your post......Thanks alot & I mean it !
              Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

Working...
              X