Name's Gary, Thanks for Having Me

G-a-r-y

I started looking at ultralights, like the Bloop and Weedhopper. Then I bumped into the gyroplane and was immediately intrigued.
Nearing retirement, but money is still part of the equation, so I'm looking for some objective price information.

Near as I can determine, if I build from a plan (Hornet, for example), I'm still going to need to fork out $4,000-plus for a rotor, and as much or more for an engine. Does that sound realistic, $10,000 before even drilling a hole? Thanks.

Sounds like your in the ball park. It is almost always cheaper to buy a flying machine, especially when built by a known builder. Jake has one for sale right now on facebook.

Selling my gyro.
New motor from Lockwood, BRAND NEW !!!
582 Blue Head pull start.
Clean install
NEW c-box - 2.62:1
RK 400 Clutch
64" Warp Drive 3 blade
hydraulic prerotator
hydraulic mechanical brakes
23' SkyWheels
$16,000

Joe Pires;n1143147 said:
Sounds like your in the ball park. It is almost always cheaper to buy a flying machine, especially when built by a known builder. Jake has one for sale right now on facebook.

Selling my gyro.
New motor from Lockwood, BRAND NEW !!!
582 Blue Head pull start.
Clean install
NEW c-box - 2.62:1
RK 400 Clutch
64" Warp Drive 3 blade
hydraulic prerotator
hydraulic mechanical brakes
23' SkyWheels
$16,000

Thanks for the tip. As an empty-nester looking to make sure I don't run out of puroses in life, the building part of the journey is important, too. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

A gyro is going to cost more than a used ultralight, BUT after flying both, the airplane is nice and fun, but it cannot handle very much wind, the gyro on the other hand is much much more fun to fly, and the wind does not bother it, you can pretty much fly a gyro whenever you want, where most small ultralights you are limited to early morning or evening.
Plus the gyro takes up less space.

scottessex;n1143160 said:
A gyro is going to cost more than a used ultralight, BUT after flying both, the airplane is nice and fun, but it cannot handle very much wind, the gyro on the other hand is much much more fun to fly, and the wind does not bother it, you can pretty much fly a gyro whenever you want, where most small ultralights you are limited to early morning or evening.
Plus the gyro takes up less space.

Excellent. That aligns very much with what I'd been reading, too. Thanks.

DarDow101;n1143191 said:
Here is a good starter gyro with CLT.. Price is right too!

Interesting. I don't know much, but looks like the engine is ready for overhaul, no? Add'l $1500 to $2000? N-number info has it as built in 2014 as a model PH-4 - can't find any info on that model, though it looks similar to an 'Elite.' Even with overhaul, I gather that's a good price - assuming rotor is good?

Highly likely that model is a combination of that builder's initials and the 4th aircraft he has built. Or, using just the last # of that N-#.
Frequently, some pilot's use their birthday numbers and initials as their aircraft's N-designation.

Building Experimental, the builder can designate the serial and model # to be whatever he wants.