Newbie from Russia

Der Flieger

Hello!
My name is Andrew. I am from Russia, I live in Moscow. Since my childhood, like all the boys in our country, I was dreaming of becoming an astronaut, or, at worst, a pilot. I think that I would not be much mistaken if I suppose that Yuri Gagarin was an idol for most Soviet boys. I have a higher technical education, but it’s not related to aviation. I made several negligible attempts to become a pilot, but they were unsuccessful. Despite the fact that our country has left a very noticeable mark in the history of world aviation and cosmonautics, at the moment small aircraft, and all civil aviation in general, is in its deathbed state here in Russia. However, I just have to fulfill my childhood dream. And I think that autogyros are my only window into the big world of aviation. I managed to really love autogyros in absentia. So far I have not a single flight, but I plan to start studying soon. And I dream to build my own single Dominator. I hope very much for your experience and your help in my acquaintance with autogyros.

jm-urbani;n1141581 said:
Hi Andrew,
at first welcome aboard, never give up, you will manage to fly,
the Dom is a good choice, simple reliable, safe, easy to build

Thank u very much, jm-urbani (sorry, don't know your real name, my friend)! I am really happy to become a part of this outstanding community (I mean gyro-makers and gyro-pilots)!

I think your first step should be to plan a vacation to a place where you can actually get a ride in one.
I didn't plan it that way, but my first ride in one was while on vacation, and now I have one of my own to fly!

Tyger;n1141585 said:
I think your first step should be to plan a vacation to a place where you can actually get a ride in one.
I didn't plan it that way, but my first ride in one was while on vacation, and now I have one of my own to fly!

Thanx, Tyger. I totally agree with you!

Andrew, welcome and good luck. Consider contacting the Russian gyro forum or Alex Lemenko ( twistair) from this forum. Ray

Rainman;n1141600 said:
Andrew, welcome and good luck. Consider contacting the Russian gyro forum or Alex Lemenko ( twistair) from this forum. Ray

Thank you much, Ray! I am already in contact with that forum. Alex is the most prominent russian popularizer of gyros. Our Gyro-guru.

Andy, you just need to transform your intent into practical phase otherwise you're at risk to beat it to death sitting by the keyboard. Book a 40 minutes introductory flight in Voskresensk, spend there 2-3 hours talking to pilots and techs, look at real gyros and their parts - all this well worth months of lurking through the Internet. BTW, tomorrow I'm in Voskresensk testing our new rotor, will leave in the evening back to St.Petersburg.

twistair;n1141604 said:
Andy, you just need to transform your intent into practical phase otherwise you're at risk to beat it to death sitting by the keyboard. Book a 40 minutes introductory flight in Voskresensk, spend there 2-3 hours talking to pilots and techs, look at real gyros and their parts - all this well worth months of lurking through the Internet. BTW, tomorrow I'm in Voskresensk testing our new rotor, will leave in the evening back to St.Petersburg.
Great idea, Alex! I'll come tomorrow to Voskresensk airfield in the afternoon. Hope to meet you there.

It was actually over the archipelago of Les Saintes. Of course it was a nice flight, but I was just a passager.

It's a charming place, but you are right that there are not really any good places to land, aside from the airstrip (which is à deux pas from the main harbor of Terre-de-Haut). In Rotax we trust!