Hi from Southwestern New York

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern_Tier View Post
    I'd also like a tandem to get my wife or daughter up with me, and I think something like the Cavalon would be nice should I need to show up some place wearing a tuxedo. If I could afford an aircraft like a Cavalon, I'd be showing up at most places in a tuxedo lol.
    You might poll your family members about flying first... I managed to cajole my wife into flying with me exactly ONCE (for about ten minutes). My college-aged son categorically refuses. We did get him up once with Luca Magni at the controls, but he wasn't too happy about even that.

The nice thing about a tuxedo is the bow tie really does not flap around too much in the wind. I suppose an enclosed gyro would be better when wearing an ordinary necktie, however. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Tier View Post
      Hi Tyger,
      I was actually thinking of starting a new thread called "What do you fly, and what do you like/dislike about your aircraft?" I need to look further into all the posts to see if it's been done before but I think it might ultimately help in my decision. Unfortunately, I want one of everything at the moment. A single seat naked (do you folks call it naked? I know that's a bike thing, but basically no cowling and all you can see in front of you is your feet and the bare essentials for gauges). I'd also like a tandem to get my wife or daughter up with me, and I think something like the Cavalon would be nice should I need to show up some place wearing a tuxedo. If I could afford an aircraft like a Cavalon, I'd be showing up at most places in a tuxedo lol.

Anyways, thats where I'm at. Still in the discovery phase and leaning towards the naked single seater.

Thanks,
      Tom
      The problem is that most modern gyros today will not let you "show up in a Tux", because you'd have to takeoff and land at an airport, which would be "miles away" from the venue you wanted to visit. What's needed if you want to wear a tux at destination, is a VTOL aircraft, where you'd only need a 100 feet or so unpaved clear space around you to land. Then you could arrive in a Gyrhino. You could use a "personal-sized" helicopter, but then you'd need buckets of money.

Regards

Frank

Comment

Hi Tyger and Frank,
        I'm making some slow progress with my plan here. As of yesterday, a wrinkle in that plan might be here 9 months from now so my wife says. Nothing for sure just yet, but there's some heathy optimism building on the family side. I'd like to confirm this before I start speaking with a potential instructor.

Anyways, what I do know is I want to start out with a single seat open canopy gyroplane. Not sure on the manufacturer just yet, but I think that would be the best place to start. My wife expressed interest in not only flying with me in the future, but learning to fly as well. We've actually been considering locations to look for new property for about a year now, and recently she has been mentioning properties that have the space and setup to accommodate a grass strip. I have a Daughter who is 3, and if she wants to come up when she's older great, if not, that's fine too.

As far as the tux in a Cavalon is concerned, I'd be wearing the tux because of what I'm flying, not where I'm flying. hahaha

Take Care,
        Tom
        You can spend your whole life waiting for that mountain to move, but it's waiting on you.....you gotta make it move. -Jonny Lang

Comment

Tom,
          Congrats on your new potential wrinkle!
          As far as future grass-strip plans, that can be much more complicated than I am sure you are imagining, mainly because of the difficulty of local permitting, neighbors, etc. I have heard a number of nightmare stories... It'll be a lot simpler just to find a property close to an existing airfield, IMO.
          T

Comment

Working...
          X