Hello from Huntsville Alabama

Tpknueven

Hello all, My name is Tim, I am a long time helicopter/ gyrocopter fanatic (i guess thats the correct word). I have been interested in all things rotary wing since I was a kid. I pursued my dream of becoming a helicopter pilot and currently fly for Huntsville Hospital. Along the way I have worked as an A&P mechanic and currently work on a few certified helicopters. I am also looking at building a gyro and pursuing my ratings as well as the possibility of a gyro CFI add on. Right now I am just trying to figure out if there are any other gyro guys around my area. I saw a red two place machine come into our local grass strip but was not able to figure out who it was.

Anyway, I have an old set of plans for the Hollman H2 AM two place Sportster, just wondering if there are any other quaility plans out there for a safe tandem design.

Fly safe and keep the big rotor on top!

Hey, I'm not really from your area, but I'm hoping to fly down and visit a friend in Florence, AL at some point before the end of June, fyi.

Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Timothy!

In my opinion The Hollman Sportster is a very nice gyroplane and would make a good trainer.

I have found it easier to train in a tandem because the pitch responses are more relaxed and it is easier for a primary student to tell which way the nose is pointed.

A side by side has the advantage of closer contact with the student and being able to point at the instruments.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

Welcome to our forum and our mutual addiction. I took a fellow Winston, who also flies a helicopter for a hospital on his first Gyro flight this past week. He left me a note in my passenger log, I will paraphrase he said "In over 8000 hours as a Helicopter pilot I have never had as pure a flying experience as my ride with you." Enjoy the journey.

Hello Tim. My guess about the Red Gyro is most likely a Magni M-22 Voyager owned and flown by Wayne Hubbs from Smithville Tennessee. That would be an easy flight for him. I am not aware of any person to get a ride in his rear seat. Wayne does not give rides.
PRA Chapter 16 is located in Dickson Tennessee (M02) mike zero two, about 40 miles west of Nashville. The Georgia (Peach State) boys fly out of Cedar Town Georgia Airport. Great bunch of guys and a great PRA Chapter also. It would be easy to hook a ride. I own a tandem Dominator and would be wiling to give you a ride (depending on your weight). It would be an easy drive right up I-65 . My number is 615-390-2228

Welcome to the forum! You are not too far from our group at Peach State Rotorcraft Club located in NW Georgia in Cedartown, Polk County Airport-Cornelius Moore Field 4A4. We currently have 7 Tango 2s, 2 Air Commands, 2 Single Place Dominators, 1 Tandem Dominator Clone, 2 Bensens, 1 KB3, 1 Tandem Bob Kopp Gyro-Kopp-ter Twin Eagle, 1 Side by Side Sparrow Hawk and 1 Maxie Wild on the field. Most Saturday mornings you will find a number of folks at our hangars. Our next Quarterly Meeting will be on June 2nd and normally we will have 40 or more folks show up including 1 Buzzard Single Place Gyro that flies in. Our website was hacked, but, will be back up in the near future.

Tyger;n1133669 said:
Hey, I'm not really from your area, but I'm hoping to fly down and visit a friend in Florence, AL at some point before the end of June, fyi.

Let me know when/if you get up this way, Florence is only a bit over an hour from me. Or if you get over by Huntsville you can come see my hangar.

shootthrees;n1133700 said:
Welcome to the forum! You are not too far from our group at Peach State Rotorcraft Club located in NW Georgia in Cedartown, Polk County Airport-Cornelius Moore Field 4A4. We currently have 7 Tango 2s, 2 Air Commands, 2 Single Place Dominators, 1 Tandem Dominator Clone, 2 Bensens, 1 KB3, 1 Tandem Bob Kopp Gyro-Kopp-ter Twin Eagle, 1 Side by Side Sparrow Hawk and 1 Maxie Wild on the field. Most Saturday mornings you will find a number of folks at our hangars. Our next Quarterly Meeting will be on June 2nd and normally we will have 40 or more folks show up including 1 Buzzard Single Place Gyro that flies in. Our website was hacked, but, will be back up in the near future.

June 2, I may be able to make that. I will have to see what my work schedule is as we get there. I will let you know. Will certainly make it over there someday soon if not for the fly in.

Gyro28866;n1133699 said:
Hello Tim. My guess about the Red Gyro is most likely a Magni M-22 Voyager owned and flown by Wayne Hubbs from Smithville Tennessee. That would be an easy flight for him. I am not aware of any person to get a ride in his rear seat. Wayne does not give rides.
PRA Chapter 16 is located in Dickson Tennessee (M02) mike zero two, about 40 miles west of Nashville. The Georgia (Peach State) boys fly out of Cedar Town Georgia Airport. Great bunch of guys and a great PRA Chapter also. It would be easy to hook a ride. I own a tandem Dominator and would be wiling to give you a ride (depending on your weight). It would be an easy drive right up I-65 . My number is 615-390-2228

It did in fact look like a Magni. It was in and gone before I could get parked. I will be up toward Dickson this thursday. Unfortunately I am heading to Ft. Campbell for a memorial and my time is tight to get back here friday morning. Will have to check the distances, Maybe I can work in a stop at M02 on a cross country somewhere. If not it only appears to be about 2 hours up the road.

I would love to ride in one and even start some training just to see how it works with me. My flight weight is 175-180 depending on if I eat breakfast.

Tpknueven;n1133711 said:
Let me know when/if you get up this way, Florence is only a bit over an hour from me. Or if you get over by Huntsville you can come see my hangar.

Sounds good; will do.

shootthrees;n1133700 said:

Tom, Who would I need to talk to about showing up? I have another public Relations thing to do from 9-noon or there about. Depending on the weather I may head over that way after for a few hours.

Tim

Tpknueven;n1134009 said:
Tom, Who would I need to talk to about showing up? I have another public Relations thing to do from 9-noon or there about. Depending on the weather I may head over that way after for a few hours.

Tim

We will be there after lunch. Our member meeting takes place around 11 am followed by pizza in our hangar, then folks typically hang out while folks go flying for a few of hours after lunch weather permitting of course. You can call me if you would like on Saturday, Cell 972-825-7928.

Thanks a bunch. Not sure if that will fit with my schedule and the weather. I may just have to make plans to come over another weekend of sometime during the week. I work 7 days on 7 off so it can be hard to schedule things. Thanks.

PRA Chapter 16 will be meeting on June 9th at 10:00am at the Dickson Municipal Airport (mike zero two) M02.

Tpknueven;n1134103 said:
Thanks a bunch. Not sure if that will fit with my schedule and the weather. I may just have to make plans to come over another weekend of sometime during the week. I work 7 days on 7 off so it can be hard to schedule things. Thanks.

If the weather is good, someone is normally there every Saturday and most weekdays and the occasional Sunday afternoon. They normally go to lunch between noon and 2 pm or so.

Tpknueven;n1133711 said:

Sent you a PM

Tyger;n1133669 said:

Did you make the trip? I have not been at 4A4 much lately.

shootthrees;n1135092 said:
Did you make the trip? I have not been at 4A4 much lately.

Yes, I flew from KPCD (MO) to KMSL on June 18th, and back on the 19th. Then on the 20th I flew my gyro from KPCD to 1B1 (NY) – so I don't expect to be back to AL any time soon, unfortunately.