N/A

Would you like to see gyrocopter drag racing @ fly-ins?

• YES

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • NO

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • N/A

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A round trip drag race in a gyro might be a little too dangerous.
The crow hop to the end of the runway would be OK, but the return trip involving a Tail-Wind takeoff and landing would not be recommended for anyone.

In the STOL competitions, Takeoff Distance and Landing Roll are the two primary events.

In the Gyro world, takeoff distance will be won with a jump takeoff, and landing roll can be Zero for anyone with average flying skills.
I watched a spot landing competition at Mentone and though it could be made a little more exciting.

What I have in mind is a landing distance over a 50ft object Competition.
Two helium balloons could be located at the runway edges with a paper ribbon strung between them at the 50 ft level.
The object would be to fly just over the ribbon and then land in the shortest distance.
The stop and drop guys would be at an advantage so there might be two classes of Gyros.
An accidental collision with the ribbon or the balloons would not pose any significant safety hazard.

It would be interesting to see this with the FW STOL aircraft also.
Flying down the runway, just above stall at 2 ft and then chopping power and hitting the brakes is not like the real world where trees are often involved.

This would be a good way to practice off-field emergency landings.

I voted "yes", only because there was no option for "hell yes".

There could be 2 rounds - one with rotors already turning and ready to go, the second with stopped rotors to see who can prerotate the quickest. I think the turn around will be the most interesting and what wins or loses.

Most likely, it would have to be separated into single place vs. 2-place to be fair.

A hasty turn around with turning rotors ...under pressure of "competition" .... screams recipe for disaster to ME!!! I think we could come up with something in our own format that showcases gyro ability without endangering safe "skills-demos'! The only venue to accommodate the format shown ...is El mirage ... & the winds there are fickle & sometimes goofy - for just ordinary flight!

GyrOZprey;n1140189 said:
A hasty turn around with turning rotors ...under pressure of "competition" .... screams recipe for disaster to ME!!!...

I agree!
It would be like watching a demolition derby!
It wound not be IF someone rolled it on their sides, It would be WHEN!
And then add a down-wind takeoff and landing with hard braking... :eek:

The good news is that I don't think you will ever find a venue that would be willing to sponsor the event.

It almost sounds like doing doughnuts in a gyro, it's actually something we do at El Mirage. Put the left wheel on the ground and fly a circle. I am not sure how you could make a competition out of it, or if that would be a good idea. I must say it is more fun to watch than to fly, but it does keep your skills finely honed. This is not for beginners and there can be no wind.