This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "As Wauchula Turns"

Eventually when Jim, our airport manager, does have to vacate the airport (he's fighting eviction now) the city manager will more than likely come after us.

Knowing this, we have started talks with the city of Arcadia (20 miles south of Wauchula). The Arcadia city council has long sought Jim's advice on how to improve their airport and make it more like Wauchula. But because of their current lease with their dysfunctional FBO, their hands have been tied. That lease ends on March 31, 2014.

We met with one of their leading airport board members yesterday to get a feel for things. I don't want to say too much right now. But it looks like we have already found a new home with the right kind of support. We'll know more by the middle of January.

And maybe if we hadn't spoken up so firmly in support of Jim's "elimination" we might not have incurred the wrath of the Wauchula city manager. But when you see wrong doing on this scale, I think you just have to snuff it out regardless of the personal consequences. Irregardless of where we end up, we fully intend to make the sky fall on these foul people. It just has to happen.

I know many of you will have questions regarding Bensen Days. It has been approved by the Wauchula airport authority and is scheduled to go to the city commission for approval at their January meeting. Do not worry. Bensen days has been going on for a long time and has been held in many locations. It will be here, at Wauchula or near us somewhere. As soon as we have the details, we will post them on the forum.
    Rick Martin
    Sport Pilot, Gyroplane
    Bradenton, Florida
    Gator Gyro (a Jake Jacob "Everglades Kite") N328RM
    Tandem Dominator
    Follow Your Dreams ;)

This is scary stuff!!

What about next year?

This SUCKS!
    Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!
    Cheers,
    John Rountree

PRA- Director, Secretary
    PRA- Business Manager

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
    http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
    See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

Comment

Rick, the longer-term question is, will Sunstate be relocating all its gyros?
      Paul W. Plack
      Private ASEL, SP Gyroplane
      Secretary, URA & PRA2
      Editor, Western Rotorcraft

Comment

And some people wonder why the PRA bought its own airport.
        More and more everyday it seems like it was a smart move.
        http://gyroplanetraining.com/

Helping Plan a grand 2017 PRA convention

PRA BOD # 38604

Comment

Originally posted by SWaRC View Post
          Bensen Days 2015 officially have been confirmed by the City of Wauchula and the Airport Advisory Board as of today.
          So plan on ahead and let's end speculations.
          See ya'll here.

From another thread ... some time ago ....it seemed a done deal ...confirmed! ?????
          Chris T.
          3Rs - Rotors rock & rule!

"Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape." Buck B.

Time flies if you can but only the slowest.

PRA# 4212
          EAA# 1126845
          AOPA#08888697

Comment

It only sucks because of having to physically move. But we have that covered as well.

John, please don't worry. This could be a very positive thing. And it's not definite yet. The Wauchula battle is not over yet either. THINK POSITIVE!

Yes, I would expect all three of our hangars to move as well as four or five other fixed wing hangars. If it all goes as planned, it will be a very nice situation.
            Rick Martin
            Sport Pilot, Gyroplane
            Bradenton, Florida
            Tandem Dominator
            Follow Your Dreams ;)

Comment

Chris,

Nobody was trying to mislead

A possible explanation for the ambiguity:

SWARC may have posted that because in the past I don't think the decision to host the event ever really needed to go past the airport authority. I mean it was probably supposed to, but I don't think the airport authority even bothered. That’s when they were acting more like an “authority” instead of an “advisory board”. They still haven’t really resolved that issue.

The bottom line is…………..don’t worry. It’s going to happen.

Everybody just slow down. Let’s let these two situations play themselves out.
              Last edited by RICK MARTIN; 01-14-2015, 09:03 PM.
              Rick Martin
              Sport Pilot, Gyroplane
              Bradenton, Florida
              Tandem Dominator
              Follow Your Dreams ;)

Comment

I recall there being a turf strip at Arcadia which would be really nice. I don't know if it's still there or not. The populated areas are also closer to the airport at Arcadia then Wauchula so we would have to be more aware of that and fly accordingly.

Comment

Few years ago sunstate had its new years fly-in at River Ranch. Was some issues concerning CFI's giving rides, but otherwise it was the best location for a fly-in we ever had. might be something to look into if Wauchula goes bust.

I know the dirtbike racing world has used river ranch for years for a big GNCC race there in march every year. Talking about over a thousand racers and several thousand spectators. So many people that they used the runway for parking.
                  Thats what she said.

Comment

Army,

Yes, there is a very usable, active grass strip diagonal to the paved runway. And yes, you would just have to get up and fly a half mile or so to get away from "civilization".

Yea Ron, I've been to River Ranch a couple of times. I think everyone liked it a lot. And because of the amenities, it was perfect for families. And yes, the fly in the ointment was that they would not allow any training.

I checked about the process for Bensen Days approval. My previous statement seems to be true in that I was told last night “It does not have to go to commission. At least it hasn't in the past.”

I made the earlier statement about the need for the second step because the charter and ordinances have multiple references to the fact that everything is subject to the will of the city manager. And because a particular commissioner had also said he had some problems with Bensen Days.

For the record:

1. Unfortunately, in my criticism of Wauchula city officials, it has been construed that I was speaking for Sunstate Wing and Rotor Club. It was never my intention to cause harm to the club or its relationship with the city.

As of now I am resigning my positon on the Sunstate board and cancelling my membership with the club.

I will continue to attend the city’s airport authority meetings and city council meetings to fight for what is right at our airport. At those proceedings I will clarify my disassociation with the club.

I do not want to leave Wauchula. I absolutely love the Wauchula Airport. But I will not be held under the thumb of, taken advantage of, or intimidated by, a person or organization of this nature.

I know there are many people needing to make long range plans. If I hear anything in relation to Bensen Days, I will post it immediately. Nothing has changed as of now.
                    Rick Martin
                    Sport Pilot, Gyroplane
                    Bradenton, Florida
                    Tandem Dominator
                    Follow Your Dreams ;)

Comment

My opinion and I'm for PRA too:

Thank you Rick. I was concerned!!
                      Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!
                      Cheers,
                      John Rountree

PRA- Director, Secretary
                      PRA- Business Manager

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
                      http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
                      See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

Comment

Rick I don't know what all is going on. I've heard about as much as what you've already posted, nothing more. I just wish NO gyro people would have gotten involved with the city over this, because no matter if it was done as a individual or as a group, the city would just see it as the " gyro people " and then the " gyro people " would be on their $hitlist as well.

Defiantly appears some things are going on in that cities government that are not on the up and up.

Just hate that now at this point, wauchula as a home for you guys and a home for the fly-in may not be much longer.

Oh well, whats done is done. Just gotta make a good back up plan and be ready.
                        Thats what she said.

Comment

Bensen Days will be at Wauchula this year.
                          Rick Martin
                          Sport Pilot, Gyroplane
                          Bradenton, Florida
                          Tandem Dominator
                          Follow Your Dreams ;)

Comment

I can see

I can see where "only" gyro people could be seen as an issue.
                            Is there not a friendly FW crowd there that will support the overall community?
                            Could there be subterfuge from the FW people that you aren't aware of?

That's what happened with an unfriendly flight school instructor concerning ROC in Aiken. And he was on the BOD....... which didn't help.
                            Ray Pierce
                            Aiken, South Carolina

Comment

I bet the FW crowd will be even more supportive if there are hangers with more than one FW in them as well? Might pay to take a look and point out any hangers with multiple planes (and parts of planes)?
                              Gyrocopters are the best things going round....

Comment

Working...
                              X