Gyro down in Sebring, FL 2 fatal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An eyewitness reported this:

Paul Federico watched it unfold from about a half mile away while he was driving on US 27.

“It's a completely helpless feeling, because you know there's nothing you can do to affect the outcome,” Federico said.

He explained that he saw the aircraft do a nosedive from about 200 feet.

“One or two heartbeats later, you've got that really, really ugly black cloud,” he said.

The audio in the video is painful to listen to,

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/lo...e/67-610111962

Comment

The audio I listened to had two Mayday calls separated by about 12 seconds, during which was power modulation.
      This portion was present in the Channel 10 news link that Zzorse posted above.

After the second
      "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday!" Lord says "Gyro--" and then a portion of the transmission was apparently redacted (probably the tail #),

After that redaction, at 12 seconds Lord seemed to say "...back, lean back! " and then about 1 second of redaction, followed by a grunting expletive at 17 seconds.

Then there is about 3 seconds of apparently more redaction, followed by about 2 seconds of indistinguishable voice which did not sound to me like Chris.

Then, about 4 seconds of silence followed by the tower's
      "Where was that gyro that was reporting, uh, Mayday? "

______
      Since the engine was heard in the audio, and also by local witnesses, that leaves a control or rotor system failure.

Had it been a control system failure (e.g., push/pull cables) a functioning pitch trim should have been able to compensate.

The nosedive at 200 AGL makes me wonder if N198LT didn't experience runaway nose-down pitch.

For example (and this I'm only speculating out loud here), if the
      "Pneumatic cylinder brake/trim" somehow malfunctioned and went to "Brake" in flight,
      the rotorhead would have been pitched forward, while simultaneously engaging the ring gear brake (decaying rotor RPM).

It seems unlikely that stick forces even by both occupants could have overcome such, but others here may have a better opinion on that.
      This is only one scenario, and something else could have been the cause.

The impact and fire damage to the parts will make investigation very difficult, and I wouldn't expect any imminent conclusions by the NTSB.

Meanwhile, we must learn what lessons and caveats we can and bear on.

If there is some way to help the Lord and Brugger families through a donation fund, please post the link/details in this thread.

Regards,
      Kolibri
      PP - ASEL complex (C172RG, Piper 180, C206, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF, Sport Copter II, M912), soloed in gliders

"
      When an honest but mistaken man learns of his error, he either ceases to be mistaken -- or he ceases to be honest."

Comment

Donation fund started by John Rountree at PRA:

Help support Chris Lord's family after his accidental death.
        https://www.facebook.com/donate/245623942780289/
        PP - ASEL complex (C172RG, Piper 180, C206, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF, Sport Copter II, M912), soloed in gliders

"
        When an honest but mistaken man learns of his error, he either ceases to be mistaken -- or he ceases to be honest."

Comment

From GoogleMaps I've pinpointed the exact mobile home of the crash site.
          Only 100 yds away was a clearing in the trailer park, and Lake Jackson was just 300 yds to the east.
          This convinces me that the Cavalon completely lost directional control, else Chris could have reached such nearby unpopulated ground.

A power pole just east of the mobile home was hit, which seems to suggest a somewhat western trajectory.

One witness who lives 1.25 miles south reported seeing the gyro
          "kept going around and around".
          That, in conjunction with a closer witness only a half mile away on Hwy. 27 who described a "nosedive from about 200 feet "
          seems to portray something looking like a graveyard spiral and then fast vertical fall.

The cockpit audio clearly indicates that they were already involuntarily nosed over for much of the Mayday call.

Something mechanical failed catastrophically up there, and apparently at somewhere around 1000-1500' AGL given the duration of the emergency.

I hope that the NTSB will very carefully examine all the control system parts, especially the push/pull cables and the pneumatic trim cylinders.

Regards,
          Kolibri

"

Comment

I feel the Piloting Technique/Accident Discussions would be a better place for speculations rather than in News. Someone has already started a thread about this accident there.
            Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

A good suggestion, thanks, I'll move there.
              That thread is:

Chris Lord October 31, 2018
              https://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/ro...ctober-31-2018

"

Comment

Working...
              X