Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Political correctness gone amuck - removing La Cierva from History!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Political correctness gone amuck - removing La Cierva from History!

    In 1923, after four years of experimentation, Juan de la Cierva developed the articulated rotor, which resulted in the world's first successful flight of a stable rotary-wing aircraft, with his C4 Autogyro. I believe you’ll all agree this was a major milestone in aviation history and of course, the beginning of rotary wing flight.

    Fast forward to 2018. Because of Cierva’s association with Francisco Franco, an ex-politician and dictator at the time, the current Spanish government intends to remove all the statues and the name of Cierva from streets, squares and public places in Spain. Cierva’s family descendants are trying to prevent this from happening and are asking for letters of support.

    You may send letters to:
    lauradelacierva@gmail.com
    __________________________________________________ ______

    Hello all,

    This is disturbing, and If we take the time to look at history you will see why. Stalin and the Soviet Union had a practice like this. So did the Chinese Communist government. North Korea is doing it right now. Orwell addressed it as a nightmare vision of the future in his novel 1984 with the slogan

    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

    It also brings to mind another old saying "There is a fine line between a person that becomes a hero, and a person that becomes a bum" The soviets literally airbrushed heroic figures out of historical photographs! The list of people included Cosmonauts, Explorers, Leaders and Generals. The totalitarian State was constantly re-deciding what was a good citizen and who was an enemy of the State. They were constantly redefining the parameters they used to decide it. This is a sickness and the more we show the symptoms, the more we need to be thinking about how we caught this illness and how we are going to recover from it.

    Pete Marsh
    Wasilla Alaska

    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

    Dear Sir/Madam,
    I am writing in support of Laura de la Cierva, great-grand-daughter of Juan de la
    Cierva. I understand that due to some concerns regarding a friendship, the Spanish
    authorities are considering removing him from parts of history, and I think this would
    be a great shame.
    Juan de la Cierva made very significant contributions to aerodynamics and safety, at
    a time when flying was extremely unsafe. His work on creating aircraft that couldn’t
    stall was ground-breaking and had a huge influence in all sorts of areas of aviation.
    The autogyros he produced have gone on to represent one of the best forms of flying
    there is, as shown by their popularity in Europe today.
    As an enthusiastic gyro pilot myself, I am profoundly grateful to de la Cierva and the
    innovative ideas he pioneered, and I would be very sorry to see him removed from
    history for some well-meaning reasons of political correctness. Please don’t do this.
    Yours sincerely,
    Paul Hollingworth

    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

    Dear Sirs,
    Juan De La Cierva's pioneering innovations in rotorcraft technology have contributed to the global development of the Gyroplane and Helicopter types of aircraft and contributed greatly to the worldwide safety afforded by his invention. Juan De La Cierva’s work is ultimately the genesis of all rotorcraft including the great contributions that the helicopter has afforded mankind.

    It is my belief that the achievements of La Cierva to greatly improve worldwide aviation safety and utility is worthy of his high place in history as an innovator and aviation pioneer way ahead of his time, with accomplishments that the Spanish people and Spain itself should be proud to promote.

    Today, millions of Autogyro and Helicopter pilots and users worldwide owe much thanks to La Cierva for his gift of rotary flight and the services, safety and contributions these types of aircraft have provided for almost a century now. For this reason, I urge the Spanish authorities and people to continue to further promote the respect and admiration that such a great man and contributor to the progress of civilization itself should be afforded.

    Greg W Gremminger
    Last edited by gyrogreg; 07-05-2018, 02:14 PM.
    Promoting gyroplane safety through demonstration and education

  • #2
    Well Greg its only going to happen in spain,fortunately his genius is known worldwide and that will overshadow the Spanish governments actions.
    Best Regards,
    Eddie Sigman,Polvadera,nm
    (575) 835-4921

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by eddie View Post
      Well Greg its only going to happen in spain,fortunately his genius is known worldwide and that will overshadow the Spanish governments actions.
      Very true...

      Comment


      • #4
        Orwell was wrong with that gibberish slogan. The past cannot be changed no matter how much some try to ignore it or cover it up. Historical facts are enduring. I wouldn't worry about the superficial changes made by the present govt.

        Comment


        • #5
          There are few leading intellectuals (scientific, artistic, whatever) who don't have some political or personal skeletons in the closet. "Purging" the record of brilliant but "incorrect" thinkers is, as others have already pointed out, an activity typical of mind-controlling totalitarians -- like Franco! The Spanish govt. should not stoop to his tactics if they don't approve of him.

          At this rate, the only people we'll know about will be Mr. Rogers and Baron von Trapp. Good people, to be sure, but we should give credit where it's due, even if some accomplished folks turn out to be flawed humans.

          Comment


          • #6
            For the time being, and as far as I know, only one street (in Móstoles, a town bordering southern Madrid) named after Cierva has had its name changed. However, it's true that the present left-leaning central government is strongly campaigning against any memorials related to the Franco era. It's also true that Juan de la Cierva did very actively support the 1936 military coup that triggered the civil war. However, I very much doubt that the 'historical airbrushing' may get too far in Cierva's case, because he's a very well-known and admired inventor here, specially in his native Murcia, where the local government has already protested against the Móstoles town hall decision... In any case, support letters on behalf of this cause will be all very welcome...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by XXavier View Post
              For the time being, and as far as I know, only one street (in Móstoles, a town bordering southern Madrid) named after Cierva has had its name changed. However, it's true that the present left-leaning central government is strongly campaigning against any memorials related to the Franco era. It's also true that Juan de la Cierva did very actively support the 1936 military coup that triggered the civil war. However, I very much doubt that the 'historical airbrushing' may get too far in Cierva's case, because he's a very well-known and admired inventor here, specially in his native Murcia, where the local government has already protested against the Móstoles town hall decision... In any case, support letters on behalf of this cause will be all very welcome...
              Pardon my ignorance of the details of Spanish history, but how exactly did de la Cierva "very actively support" Franco? He was in England at the time of the coup and was still there at the time of his death at Croydon airfield, less than five months later. Apparently he is accused of arranging for the British plane that took Franco from the Canaries to Morocco. I found an interesting account of that plane trip; it mentions several people, and implicates the British secret services, but it does not mention Cierva: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...jul/18/post233
              Apparently that plane is still in El Museo del Aire, outside Madrid. Perhaps the current government will be having it removed shortly too.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tyger View Post

                Pardon my ignorance of the details of Spanish history, but how exactly did de la Cierva "very actively support" Franco? He was in England at the time of the coup and was still there at the time of his death at Croydon airfield, less than five months later. Apparently he is accused of arranging for the British plane that took Franco from the Canaries to Morocco. I found an interesting account of that plane trip; it mentions several people, and implicates the British secret services, but it does not mention Cierva: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...jul/18/post233
                Apparently that plane is still in El Museo del Aire, outside Madrid. Perhaps the current government will be having it removed shortly too.
                The operation was arranged by the London correspondent of ABC, Luis Bolín (Koestler had a difficult time with him, as he recalls in 'The Spanish Testament'), with money advanced by banker Juan March. Bolín contacted Cierva in order to charter the airplane, a twin-engined DH 'Dragon Rapide'. Besides that, Cierva helped the Franco side by organizing the purchase of airplanes. When he died in the Croydon accident, he was traveling to Holland in order to buy more planes for the cause of Franco. Cierva strongly supported Franco, as he was horrified by the atrocities committed by the republicans, by 'the reds'; his own brother Ricardo having been arrested and shot in November 1936, after trying to leave Spain by airplane...

                Comment

                Working...
                X