PAL V at Geneva auto show

They Had A bike a few years back, That Had nice price.
But now The Grapevine tells me this will be 250k to 500k
looks nice and all but no thanks. but sure does look nice.

but would you fly it?

The issue is that if we can fly point to point, with VTOL or super STOL, why drive at all? We are bankrupting ourselves with road repair, and building new super-highways.

eutrophicated1;n1131175 said:
The issue is...why drive at all? We are bankrupting ourselves with road repair...

Much of the development of the PAL-V has taken place and/or been funded in the Netherlands, where the government is already planning small runways adjacent to superhighways to accommodate fly/drive. The reason for still driving is that VTOL is still unwelcome in residential neighborhoods and congested business districts, not to mention anywhere security concerns prevail.

If highways were built and maintained exclusively through fuel and use taxes, the cost would fall proportionately where it belongs, and provide an incentive to be efficient with trips. In the US, the taxes per-gallon have fallen way behind general inflation. (I don't know how it works elsewhere, but I know fuel taxes are much higher in Europe.)

Last edited:
No Title

Tyger;n1131165 said:
I've never seen anything quite like that folding prop (except maybe a folding sailboat aux prop).
That sort of thing is pretty common on motorgliders. Check out the Stemme S10 and S12 (blades wrap in radially and are covered by a cowl that moves fore and aft), and the Silent 2 (blades fold back flush into the nose cone).

Attachments

• photo129492.jpg
    photo129492.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo129493.jpg
    photo129493.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo129494.jpg
    photo129494.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1
Something about what you're saying, Paul, means we haven't really explored our options properly. Perhaps municipal planners should be required to include "private STOL and VTOL locations" in their futurising. In any case, in my neighborhood, I suppose VTOL craft might not be allowed, but for sure nothing is being done about the dirt bikes and snowmobiles ratting up and down my street. Talk about unsafe. Now I'm pissed, and going to township hall about it.

Now if I could just count that as multi-engine time for my insurance policy . . .

Two 912s... I see. How's that work? Some sort of 2-1 transmission? Sounds like asking for over heating issues.