Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little hope for Santa Monica Airport

Seismic study bolsters Santa Monica Airport's role in disaster relief

New and revised earthquake fault zones mapped by the California Geological Survey—including a newly identified Santa Monica fault boundary—reinforce aviation advocates’ assertion that Santa Monica’s embattled airport could play a lifesaving role in disaster-relief operations if a major earthquake struck the area.
    Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!
    Cheers,
    John Rountree

PRA- Director, Secretary
    PRA- Business Manager

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
    http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
    See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

It's probably futile to try to convince liberal Californians with the facts.
    Some of the city "leaders" and residents (for some reason) despise their own airport.
    Such people would likely still try to close it even after its use during a disaster.

But, keep up the fight, and thanks for the tip here, John.

Regards, Kolibri
    PP - ASEL (Piper 180, C172, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF), soloed in gliders; checkride soon

Wasn't happy with my RAF's pitch instability, so I installed a Boyer H-Stab to my great satisfaction!

"My expectations: disclose the truth I need to fly safely, and act like you truly care about quality. Anything less is greed or laziness."

Comment

Many "liberal Californians" are pilots and airport supporters. In this and many other states, one of the biggest threats against airports is a business lust for real estate development (something not typically associated with liberals) by those who see a profit possibility where others see a not-to-be-replaced resource. It's neither fair nor accurate to blame these battles on national partisan political stereotypes; the pro- and con- forces are not so simply aligned and divided.

Comment

We can blame the California liberals for always being against business with regulating and taxing them out of our state and we can blame liberals for over spending on social programs that do not help people up or off the program.
        The over spending is why the local government need more money.
        Follow the money is it business or government greed driving it. Jon can explain how it the business in this case as I do not know how they are involved until it's for sale.

The property taxes on airports with it low building density is already a loser for the city compared to office buildings add that it's a old airport with older buildings and the property taxes revenue is even lower and more of a long term looser for the city.
        In Ca if the property does not change hands then the tax value remains about what you paid for it. Most airport landlords have owned them for over 20 years.

So you see it not greedy business in this case it's local leaders greed for an increased property tax base on new very expensive high density modern office buildings = is their motivation.
        Are these local leader liberals? I do not know, done no research but expect they are.

Bottom line they want the property tax revenue more than an airport.
        Resistance is futile…… You will be compiled!
        Cheers,
        John Rountree

PRA- Director, Secretary
        PRA- Business Manager

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
        http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
        See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

Comment

The airport not closing until 12/31/2028.
          Last edited by j bird; 02-13-2018, 09:50 PM.
          Jay Gunderson

"Wise men talk because they have something to say;
          fools talk because they have to say something."

Plato

Comment

the pro- and con- forces are not so simply aligned and divided.
            Perhaps not, but IMO close enough to make a general point.
            In my experience, most GA folks tend to be conservative,

Glad to see that SMO has another decade.
            I plan on visiting it this year, mostly just to be able to say in the future that I did.

Regards, Kolibri
            PP - ASEL (Piper 180, C172, RV-7A), SP - Gyro (Calidus, RAF), soloed in gliders; checkride soon

Wasn't happy with my RAF's pitch instability, so I installed a Boyer H-Stab to my great satisfaction!

"My expectations: disclose the truth I need to fly safely, and act like you truly care about quality. Anything less is greed or laziness."

Comment

Working...
            X