N395SC, Sport Copter Vortex, Incident

PW_Plack

I'm sorry to report a long cross-country flight I attempted yesterday ended in an off-airport landing. There were no injuries to me or anyone else, the machine stayed right-side up, and the only damage to the machine in the landing was the nosewheel tire and strut. The machine is back in the hangar.

This incident will make for a rich conversation about accident chains. I'll get into it in more detail in this thread when I calm down, process all this, and finish with all the phone calls.

Good job Paul, you kept the rotor spinning. That is 95% of an of-airport landing. The small stuff is a lot easier to fix.

Paul Plack: You are supposed to be a role model and that precludes any accidents. That is what I was told after I pranged my Safari. Sounds like it was almost a non-event though.

Thank you for telling us the needed facts, so we won't worry.
Cheers
Erik

I've heard any landing you walk away from is a good one! Glad you're OK! A wheel is easy enough to repair, and the experience is a lesson learned (being the best teacher and all that). Stay safe, and enjoy the upcoming Holidays!

Don't fret, Paul!
There are two groups here.
Those that will, and those that have!
Welcome to the Have club.
Don't over think it, it is what it is. Simply that.
Glad you did well and saved your butt and the machine.
Good on ya!

I am glad it worked out Paul.

I look forward to your story and the things we may learn from your experience.

Take is slow and think about what you want to post.

It is my observation that there are some curmudgeons here who may take some of the fun out of posting useful information.

Paul Sounds like your piloting skills were up to the task,no worries you will never run

out of fuel again,take it from someone that knows from experience.

I’’ve had 6 “unscheduled” landings so far. Sounds like you did a good job dealing with a tough situation. As Bob Hoover said,” “Fly it as far into the crash as you can.””

1. Flew my Mitchell Wing B-10 to Oshkosh- 600 miles round trip- on the last leg, 20 miles from home, the muffler on my Rotax 277 came loose. Landed in a field, tightened the bolts, took off, flew home. At Oshkosh, a good friend, Dan Grunloh, had inspected my aircraft and suggested I add a strap to hold the muffler in case it came loose. I improvised with some safety wire. When I got home, changed the bolts to ones that could be safetied and added a proper strap.
2. Was flying my B-10 with our Heart of Illinois Ultralight Club- about 10 ULs- to a fly-in breakfast. On the way back, my 4 belt reduction drive lost tension, so engine ran fine, just couldn’t get power to the prop. Landed in a field, a couple of guys driving by in a pickup stopped and just happened to have the huge wrench that fit the tightening nut. Unfortunately, I damaged my wood prop trying to take off in tall weeds. Fortunately, a good friend and fellow Mitchell Winger had made a carrier for his that fit on his car. We hauled it home, and bought a new prop.
3. Bought a Tierra ll. On one of my first flights, took off with less than a full tank of gas. Just out for a fun flight to get used to it. Finally dawned on me that a 503 sucks gas a lot faster than a 277, especially pushing that flying truck instead of a sleek B-10. Got back to within a mile of the field, when the engine got quiet. Had 3 fields available. Picked the one without any cows. Landed, hitched a ride back to the field from a friendly farmer- “I was watching you fly over when your engine just quit!”. Got a can of gas, fueled up, fired up and flew home. Embarrassing, but lesson learned.
4. Passenger in a T-Bird equipped with the then brand new Rotax 912 piloted by the T-Bird factory owner. We took off, were flying on the downwind leg when the engine quit. He simply turned and landed on the runway. Easy-Peasy. Plugged fuel filter.
5. At Oshkosh, on the Ultralight strip, getting a demo flight in a Thundergull powered by an HKS engine that had just flown all the way from California. On takeoff run, became obvious that the engine wasn’t delivering full power. The pilot, designer of the aircraft, shut down and managed to get stopped before we ran out of runway. Him-“Thought I better abort, something’s not right.” Me-“I totally agree!”- Carbs needed adjusted.
6. Bought a Challenger ll Clipwing in NW Iowa about 400 miles out.On the flight home, 50 miles to go,the engine lost power, only running on one cylinder. Became a glide extender. Could see an airport about 5 miles away, but couldn’t make it. There was a small town 2 miles to my left, so steered towards it to reduce my hiking distance. Landed in a field on the edge of town, just as the engine died. It refused to start. I had just flown over my sister’s house about 15 minutes earlier, taken pictures, etc. so called her and a couple of good friends from the flying club. My brother-in- law picked me up, took me home and I rented a Penske truck. The 4 of us with the truck and a flatbed trailer took the wings off and hauled it home. Turned out the “freshly overhauled” engine had a bad seal and required another proper overhaul to restore it to good health.
Lessons learned- things break, mistakes happen, ignorance needs to be reduced, don’t fly where you can’t land. I have been very fortunate that my problems were not too severe and with help of good friends were overcome. I have lost 16 good friends to aircraft accidents over the years, so am appreciative of how lucky I am.

Richard Anderson;n1128006 said:
I have lost 16 good friends to aircraft accidents over the years, so am appreciative of how lucky I am.
:eek: I don't have 16 good friends period! You seem nice, but I hope we never meet.....
You last post was very informative/helpful. Can you tell us about what you learned from your friend's accidents?

One of the reasons I continue to fly is that it has given me the opportunity to meet and yes make friends with literally hundreds of great people. The deaths of good friends over the last 30+ years motivate me took speak openly about problems and concerns that I have seen. A while back, I posted in a thread on this forum a list of the accidents that resulted in the deaths of these 16 friends. The aircraft involved came from all areas of aviation- ultralights, Experimentals, GA, fixed wing and rotorcraft. The pilots ranged from newbies all the way to experienced airline pilots with thousands of hours and even include the Director of Safety in the Illinois Department of Transportation Division of Aeronautics.At least 2 had medical issues in flight, at least 3 were performing aerobatics, 1 lost control after landing (may have had a medical issue), 1 ( my first flight instructor) crashed a Cessna 172 trying to land in bad weather, 2 lost control making first flights in unfamiliar aircraft, 1 hit wires, at least 3 had aircraft malfunctions they were unable to manage...Doesn’t seem to be a common thread other than aircraft can be dangerous. But, so can motorcycles, cars, bathtubs, you name it. We do have some choice whether or not to participate in “dangerous” activities. I choose to accept the risk of flight- while trying my best to reduce that risk- because of the pleasures I receive living my life as a pilot.

Last edited:
When you're having too much fun, fuel isn't all that important, until... I've been lucky with the 2 unscheduled/forced landings (not fuel related) and both were in the pattern making it to the runway. Now you're going to be fuel paranoid for a while!

Paul: I've been wanting to read of your accident description for almost a couple of months.
I'm most interested in the accident chain-of-events that can teach and remind all of us...

Me too, Paul...I have been sitting here witth the screen open..waiting waiting....Having food brought in ( thank god for pizza) and my depends....fill us in on what happened...I won’t tell a soul.

Dave

Guys, since that unscheduled landing, I've moved, had two deaths in the extended family, and still not finished the FAA/NTSB process. Due to a technicality it has been classified as an "accident" rather than an "incident," so the aftermath drags on. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, and promise I'll share more soon.

Next week, I'll sit with an FAA inspector for a two-hour oral re-test for my Private/Airplane certificate with Sport/Gyroplane endorsement. (A "709 Ride" without the "ride" part.) That has to be my focus for the moment, and I think it's wise not to overshare until this is all through.

Geez Paul be careful or you will end up in prison or perhaps worse,sorry about your troubles,

I would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than have to move. Hopefully after next week it will be smooth

air and blue skys for you.