2016 through 2017 new Gyroplane registrations

Abid

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 560 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes. Pilot Airplane
Alright. This is what I found from careful examination of FAA database for the US only. There is some hesitancy in me in calling some of the registrations and A/W certs sales as it is clear that some of the European manufacturers and their distributors have associated companies that seem to be obviously just a parking point for finished inventory that really has to be sold to someone. But anyway, this is my best effort for "new" aircraft registrations in 2016-2017(till now) time frame for the ones I looked at. A note that for SilverLight, we started deliveries in April 2016.

2016 to 2017 (till July 15, 2017)

From AUTOGYRO GMBH
MTO Sport 6 (3 registered CSP Leasing and 2 to AutoGyro, 1 to customer in Albany. I had to correct this number because I had mis-counted)
Calidus 14
Cavalon 18

From MAGNI SRL
M16 5
M24 3

From ELA
E10 10 (But 3 registered to distributor associated company)

From TITANIUM GYRO
Titanium Explorer 3 (Total population 5)

From SILVERLIGHT AVIATION (American Ranger)
AR-1 14

Hope that gives a clear picture of what has happened in last 1.5 years in the gyro world in the US. Cavalon the most expensive gyroplane has the most new registrations.

I think we at SilverLight did ok for the first year of deliveries (though could have definitely done better), we sold 2 gyroplanes to China that are not shown in US data and also sold 3 trikes which we still sell from time to time and one airplane (Kitty Hawk). We are booked through October 2017 right now for gyroplane kit production slots and hoping to seal out this year after Oshkosh and Mentone. Been doing 2 gyroplanes a month starting May. Come see us in Ultralight/Rotorcraft display area at Oshkosh in booth 909.

Web: http://www.silverlightaviation.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/silverlightaviation/

Last edited:
FARA, After reading the stats I wanted to go to your web site. I think you should include the URL in your signature.
See you at MENTONE!

Good news. Not so long ago there were no factory pre-built gyroplanes, except RAF and Magni. Good trend, if you ask me.
And yes, Fara, you did really well.

Kai.

Gyro_Kai;n1122607 said:
Good news. Not so long ago there were no factory pre-built gyroplanes, except RAF and Magni. Good trend, if you ask me.
And yes, Fara, you did really well.

Kai.

Hi Kai:
Yes I think this is a good trend for the consumer but there is a limit to how many healthy manufacturers a particular market will support. So in the last 1.5 years I estimate a total of about 85 gyroplanes in the FAA register. LSA airplane market shows us that too many manufacturers are also not a great thing for an industry. Somewhere there is a good balance.

I probably lost 5 to 6 sales for a very specific reason in this time frame and that reason will be gone in a month or so. I expect growth in 2018 and we have hired more people and bringing composite shop in house completely and have brought painting in house already instead of using subcontractors. It gives us more control on timelines and process. Few new dealers as well popping up for AR-1 in the US. I am really focused completely on the gyroplane side now and not pursuing new trike sales or airplanes for now. Wishing you well.

Last edited:
Have a look at the State of the Nation thread and you see the growth as I list new gyro registrations - here below is a comparision of number of each type of modern gyro registered - the first figure relates to JAN 2016 - the second JAN 2017 - hot cakes since Jan 2017 in the USA has been the the ELA 10 ( go check FAA )

Base stats are good - shows what's selling and whose selling

MTOsport - 51 - Jan 17 - 51
Calidus - 35 - Jan 17 - 42
Cavalon - 15 - Jan 17 30
total 101 - Jan 17 123

M16 - 24 - Jan 17 26
M24 - 5 - Jan 17 5
M22 -3 - Jan 17 4
M14 - 1 - Jan 17 1
total 33 - Jan 17 36

Xenon - 14 - Jan 17 14
Tercel - 3 - Jan 17 - 3

ELA G8 -3 - Jan 17 3
ELA G10 - 0 - Jan 17 2

AG-1 - 4 - Jan 17 4
AR-1 - 2 - Jan 17 5

Tit Explorer - 2 - Jan 17 4

Skycruiser - 0 - Jan 17 0

Arrowcopter - 1 - Jan 17 1

Hi Steve:
Thanks for replying. The state of the nation thread may as well be dead. This new forum format truly sucks and any thread like that is buried miles under rubble. They told me how to find real "Latest Activity" but that is a pathetic answer to how easy it was in the old forum and I am sure most forum members are lost and will never see that thread again no matter what you post on it. I advise starting a new thread to update registrations. This update to this forum may actually be its death sentence. Hopefully not.

Anyway, some points immediately jump out. There were no US registered AR-1's in Jan 2016 so your data is not correct there. We did not deliver an AR-1 till April 2016. There may have been a reservation for 2 AR-1 in Texas but they were not truly registered and definitely not airworthy till March 31, 2016 (Basically April)
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=925AG
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=923DJ

So yes we have in the US delivered 14 AR-1 (including the prototype which is N914AG and working under an AG-1 dataplate, because one can do that in the US Experimental AB rules quite legally). Then 2 went to China. From April 2016 through July 2017, we had 16 AR-1 deliveries total. In 2017 alone we have delivered 11 gyroplanes including one sent to China. All you have to do is search for model AR-1 in FAA database and also note N914AG. That gives you a clear picture of AR-1's in the US. Then simply note that two orders went to China and do not show in US database.

You are saying that AutoGyro Gmbh sold no MTO Sport from Jan 2016 to Jan 2017, in the whole year? Really?
According to your data AutoGyro Gmbh sold only a total of 22 new aircraft in the US market from Jan 2016 to Jan 2017?
I counted 38 new registrations for AutoGyro from Jan 2016 through July 2017. Now given there were a lot of unclear ones like CSP Leasing and to AutoGyro USA itself and to other holding AutoGyro companies. Its hard to determine which of these are real sales and which are holding companies holding inventory. I think some of these (probably 6 to 10 may not be sales but being held as inventory or floor-planned gyroplanes at dealer locations which is not really a sale). It seems like AutoGyro is average 20 to 22 machines a year and we have started with 14 roughly. I am a bit surprised about Magni numbers.You are saying Magni sold a sum total of 3 new gyroplanes in one year (2016) here?

ELA Eclipse 10 had 2 gyroplanes in 2016 and now it shows 10 registrations but again please note that 2 are to "GyroplaneGuy Inc" which is Chris Lord and 1 to "ELA Aviation USA Corp", so 3 are to the company itself. I believe these are floor panned gyroplanes from ELA factory to the distributor or investor carried inventory. They are not yet true sales. So the true sales in 2017 so far are 10 - 2 (from 2016) - 3 (floor planned or demo distributor owned) = 5. I know Chris has gotten a few more orders since (one from Texas and a few others) but they aren't registered yet. So some of these machines registered to distributor will probably end up in end user hands soon.

To me seeing AutoGyro sold really max 4 MTO Sport model in 1.5 years to end users (AutoGyro registered machines not counting) and we sold 14 means we are competitive in the space we offered our machine. We need to expand our product line to compete in Calidus and side by side formats. That is the take I get and its encouraging.

I did not even look at Xenon because honestly all I have heard of are serious ethical problems with them recently. Tercel .. well I'll reserve judgment for now but they have also gone from dealer to dealer to dealer. Rotax BTW will not stand behind either of their converted engines. That much became clear when the warranty was tested.

Hope this cleans up some of your data. I looked at each and every registration info separately.

Last edited:
Hi Abid - thanks for your thoughts.

Briefly "According to your data AutoGyro Gmbh sold only a total of 22 new aircraft in the US market from Jan 2016 to Jan 2017?
I counted 38 new registrations for AutoGyro from Jan 2016 through July 2017"

38 new registrations- are you sure they are all new first registrations - don't forget FAA updates shows secondhand sale too - keep any eye on the construction number and year of build.

Steve_UK;n1122648 said:
Hi Abid - thanks for your thoughts.

Briefly "According to your data AutoGyro Gmbh sold only a total of 22 new aircraft in the US market from Jan 2016 to Jan 2017?
I counted 38 new registrations for AutoGyro from Jan 2016 through July 2017"

38 new registrations- are you sure they are all new first registrations - don't forget FAA updates shows secondhand sale too - keep any eye on the construction number and year of build.

Hi Steve:
The key to understanding AutoGyro sales in the US is to know what is CSP Leasing and what is their role and what is up with registrations that basically have no data for anything on them (questionable registrations). I believe CSP Leasing are some kind of a middle investor associated with AutoGyro USA. They hold inventory till it gets sold to a real user. If I do not count registrations to them, AutoGyro sales drop by 8 units.

On another note, you are right. FAA a couple of years ago, started requiring re-registrations. So I have tried to look at Mfg Date and A/W date instead and what I have from Jan 2016 to July 2017 is as follows

MTO Sport: 8
MTO Sport in 2016: N207AG, N214AG, N453T, N677KM
MTO Sport in 2017: N291AG, N139JD, N696AK, N320QT (Registered to AutoGyro USA)
Questionable in 2017: N818PB

Calidus 13
NOTES:
Calidus in 2016: N197TX, N674KG, N505TA, N228DS, N542AG, N541AG, N820TN, N641JA, N6422M
Questionable in 2016: N942DE, N982SH
Calidus in 2017: N195WD, N410LE, N689TC, N991TC
Questionable in 2017: N383AG

The questionable N registrations are ones without any data to discern what is up with them, no Mfg date, no A/W date. These could be Government registrations but these ones are not. There are 5 of them for Calidus just in 2016-2017

Cavalon 16
NOTES:
Cavalon in 2016: N515QA, N518DT, N117PV, N203AG, N619KT, N914RB, N153PS, N929PW, N255AG (Registered to AutoGyro USA), N89AG (Registered to AutoGyro USA), N468CW, N3852G,
Questionable in 2016: N282RG, N128NR,
Cavalon in 2017: N113CX, N542DM, N705TM, N770TX, N198LT, N442AG
Questionable in 2017: N213TM, N830AG

There are 4 questionable Cavalon registrations in 2016-2017

If anyone knows what these questionable registrations are, I'd be glad to know. I'll try and find out from FAA registration branch after Oshkosh.

Steve, so taking out the questionable registrations and 4 units registered to AutoGyro USA itself, the sales are 32 from Jan 2016 to July 2017. Is this closer to your tally? not considering AG USA registered units?

Last edited:
That could mean 16 owners out of 22 could have sold their machines to new owners ? Makes me wonder why .

Fara, we both posted at the same time......

Usually a sale would show as Sale Pending or Sale Reported and Mfg Date and A/W date should not change if its a clear sale. But may be. FAA can clear that up. Anyway, if its a sale, then these are not new sales for AutoGyro

Briefly- In the State of the Nation thread I would list newly registered brand new ( ie not sold on secondhand ) gyrocopters - the FAA provides daily updates for registration activity, it only takes a min or two to speed read it.

Note that two of the Calidus you query are TYPE CERTIFIED factory built machines built at the Auto-Gyro factory in Germany - both these are I understand now with end customers earning a living.

You may want to keep an eye on Tango too - several imported in from Russia ( in recent months ).

I have no intention of adding anything to the State of the Nation thread, it got taken way off track.

For the large gyro maufactuers the USA market is just one of many important markets they are selling into - plenty of sales to the UK, Australia, France, Germany, South Africa and many to China too.

If you keep an eye on new global registrations you can make a guesstimate for yearly production figures.

Enjoy

Hi Steve:
Thanks. Yes I will try and keep an eye out for the daily updates now on but this 2016 through July 2017 is historical so the data I was collecting was painstaking a bit. My reason is to garner current market size of brand name gyroplanes in the US per year and you seem to have kept up with European imports into the US well. That is why I asked you directly.

I know about Tango. They have 3 sales and the rest are importer inventory in stock or demo. Alex said they have sold more rotors and parts as well.

US is a very good potential market Steve. Potentially the largest untapped single market in the world for near future. The European market is getting full. New German registrations dropped almost 50 or more percent last year. There is ready made largest pilot community here that thinks gyroplanes are unsafe and have to be shown otherwise and then there are good number of possible new people with enough money to get a modern gyroplane. There are hardly any gyroplane clubs (may be 2) that are another avenue. A good looking robust and simple machine can serve this market well.

fara;n1122662 said:
Calidus 12
NOTES:
Calidus in 2016: N197TX, N674KG, N505TA, N228DS, N542AG, N541AG, N820TN, N641JA
Questionable in 2016: N6422M, N942DE, N982SH
Calidus in 2017: N195WD, N410LE, N689TC, N991TC
Questionable in 2017: N383AG

The questionable N registrations are ones without any data to discern what is up with them, no Mfg date, no A/W date. These could be Government registrations but these ones are not. There are 6 of them for Calidus just in 2016-2017

N6422M is alive and well in my garage.
It is still under construction, so no A/W cert yet.
The Mrs. says I am progressing like it is a Government Job.
One Day Soon............

Uncle Willie;n1122675 said:
N6422M is alive and well in my garage.
It is still under construction, so no A/W cert yet.
The Mrs. says I am progressing like it is a Government Job.
One Day Soon............

Thanks. I have updated the post. Wow that's a long time for something that should take 100 hours to build. Keep at it.

As far as gyro clubs are concerned, I know there is a group of 15 or so that own an M16 (2016) Taylor TX (T74). The local instructor, Dayton Dabbs, has gotten them up and running.