A bird's-eye view of arriving and departing flights to the NYC airports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bird's-eye view of arriving and departing flights to the NYC airports

At first I was not going to post this video because of the poor quality of the air
    that morning, the smog was way worst than normal even for NY. I have been
    able to see more traffic on other flights but never been able to get them on video. I really enjoy watching the traffic all around me on these flights so I hope
    you will to thanks for watching.

https://youtu.be/ZseWsFtwAAQ

I look at the video and 1080 HD and did not see 1 flight,
    is it just me that don't know where to look or the smog is so bad it makes it hard to see.
    help me see it please it something interesting.

how can you fly in that zone and not have a mid air collision?
    I'm a gyro Dude now! Bensen FTW

FRANK

Comment

NYC's air is usually very clear. A video when the weather is good would be appreciated. Do you fly the Hudson corridor?

Comment

Originally posted by FRANK'S View Post
        I look at the video and 1080 HD and did not see 1 flight,
        is it just me that don't know where to look or the smog is so bad it makes it hard to see.
        help me see it please it something interesting.

how can you fly in that zone and not have a mid air collision?
        Well, I can help you find the easiest one to spot. When it zooms in on LaGuardia at about 1:40, you will see a plane rolling on runway 22, headed toward the top of the screen.

That's actually pretty good VFR, once you appreciate the scale of the video frame. Runway 4-22 is about 7000 feet if memory serves. Central Park is visible as a dark rectangle toward the right side of the screen in the early portion of the video, and it's over 800 acres. The island of Manhattan is about ten miles long.

Comment

Barry,
          thanks for posting. What was your altitude?
          We hope you can make it to Carolina Barnstormers fly- in . It's always fun !!!
          Rodney

Comment

Hi Frank
            I am sorry I forgot to think how it looks to the viewer I took the video so I know where everything is and what I was trying to capture on film so I hope this will help.
            At 0:15 plane #1 appears at the very bottom and center of the screen overland on a finial approach for RWY 22 0:37 it is easier to see because it now is over
            the bay. 1:03 plane #2 crosses RWY 22 after takeoff from RWY 31 at 1:13 #2 crosses over a bridge. at 1:18 #1 touches down on RWY 22 at 1:48
            #3 taxis on to RWY 31 just as #1 exits RWY 22. 2:30 #3 starts it takeoff run on RWY 31. 3:02 #3 climbs out over RWY 22. 3:13 #3 passes over bridge.
            At 3:44 #4 taxis onto RWY 31. 4:12 I am focusing on Central Park. 4:30 I start a slow scan to the south of Manhattan. With Roosevelt Island and the
            Queenboro Bridge at center screen at 4:44 5:01 just above center screen a little south of Roosevelt Island alongside the East River is the United Nations
            Building. 5:20 as the scan progresses to the tip of Manhattan I was trying to focus on the Queensborough, Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridges. 5:26 #5
            enters the screen on the extreme left side just above center. 5:36 #5 passes between Governors Island and the Statue Of Liberty. 6:19 #6 enters at the
            top of mid screen over the Staten Island abutment of the Verrazanno Bridge. #7 enters top mid screen over the VZ bridge.

Hi Ed
            I have flown over NY almost a dozen times now and this was probably the worst visibility yet but this flight was to capture the traffic in the area so I posted it
            anyway. I have flown the Hudson River Corridor dozen's of times. If you google barrym8241 you will find many video's there.

Hi WaspAir
            You are right this is a very large area in view. Manhattan is 13.4 miles long and 2.3 miles wide. and Central Park is 843 acres.\

Hi Rodney
            I fly over NY at 8,500 ft. when southbound and 9,500 northbound. I guess I could fly at 7,500 but I do not want to trust my altimeter's accuracy and risk busting
            class B airspace. I hope I can make it there to it is such a great fly-in. Thanks Barry

Comment

Wow! Very interesting video
              Last edited by Flyover; 05-31-2017, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X