Jet Gyro project gyroplane

wow nice did he test the thrust on it? this must put out monster thrust numbers.
it looks very different I like it.

FRANK'S;n1133495 said:
wow nice did he test the thrust on it? this must put out monster thrust numbers.
Probably more 20 gal / h for the same thrust as Mac 72 hp. It is from 300 mph that the efficiency of a jet engine becomes good, not to 50 mph
Not a good idea, in my opinion

Last edited:
Let’s see:
1 hp = 550 ft-lb/second.
At 50 mph, 250 lb of thrust = 33 hp
At 500 mph, 250 lb of thrust = 330 hp.
That’s the reason we don’t have jet propelled tug boats and railway locomotives Gas turbines driving electrical generators is a different story.

C. Beaty;n1133548 said:
Let’s see:
1 hp = 550 ft-lb/second.
At 50 mph, 250 lb of thrust = 33 hp
At 500 mph, 250 lb of thrust = 330 hp.
That’s the reason we don’t have jet propelled tug boats and railway locomotives Gas turbines driving electrical generators is a different story.

I'm wondering if response time will be an issue in flight, gyros fly by controlling thrust.
Will the jet be able to recover from a behind the power curve situation fast enough at low altitudes?
I think a turboprop with feathering blades would be a better choice.

No one said this was a practical or economical alternative to a prop engine...just a proof of concept and learning project.
Thrust numbers by PBS are very conservative...so far....pretty darn close to my Subaru on my 2 place. Throttle response is very good plus I’ve never had to peg the throttle in all my years of gyro flying. Only testing will tell but program is progressing better than anticipated. Oh...and fuel burn will be around 40-45 gallons/hr. Can’t put a price on fun!! :)

Last edited:
ultracruiser41;n1133562 said:
Oh...and fuel burn will be around 40-45 gallons/hr. Can’t put a price in fun!! :)

So 5 gallons will last about 7 minutes? But it will be 7 minutes of fun.

No Title

Y'all
Try not to get a brain cramp trying to over think the Jet Gyro!!

Attachments

• photo129921.jpg
    photo129921.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
I agree Rodney......as we say in manufacturing......"sometimes ya have to shoot the engineers and run product!" ! :)
Fuel capacity on the gyro is 43 gallons! Will fly like a dog for 20 minutes....but the second 20 minutes should be awesome!!

No Title

Took me awhile to find the pictures but it did start life as a tractor (and not a grain harvester, Brian!).

Attachments

• photo129922.jpg
    photo129922.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo129923.jpg
    photo129923.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 4
Tractor with jet engine is not very good for whiskers

The whole thing is just a experiment. The gyro itself is unproven and never flown... A buddy of mine built it and never finished it before tragically losing his life in a plane crash. His wife finally sold it and it swapped hands a few times and Barry ended up with it. Barry has a hangar full of toys, including two " normal " gyros... Barry likes to tinker and do the unusual... Case in point, he bought a used aviomania gyro without a engine and instead of putting a rotax on it like most people would, he bought a Rotec radial to put on it, not because its practical or better but instead just because a radial engine is cool.

The reality was, this gyro would have never flown with the original engine it had on it. Way too underpowered. It needed to be repowered. Because of the airframe design there really wasn't a way to make it a pusher, so a repower would have needed to be a tractor type engine. A jet engine doesn't require a prop and could be set up as a pusher. And clearly.... Would be cool and unusual. It certainly won't be practical and may not fly long or far, but that is not the point.

Well, why not? Gyros are toys for grown ups in the same category as coaster wagons and tricycles for kids.

With that in mind, it is not at all out of place to propel the most inefficient flight vehicle with the most inefficient means possible.

I’m sure that had I found a jet engine during my tricycle riding days, I’d have tried to install it on my tricycle without worrying about the science.