Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, very dramatic! I'm not familiar with the Cobra's performance but I believe VRS, or as the Army refers to it: settling with power, is certainly a prime candidate.

I'm noticing a difference in what the Army teaches and what the FAA does, so I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence but we are taught three things must exist for settling with power to occur: rate of descent of at least 300fpm, insufficient power to arrest descent, and slow airspeed (below ETL). Based on how he was maneuvering, I'd imagine he had a lot of power applied and when he went to turn, his true airspeed would've dropped off. His rate of descent as he turned certainly picked up so maybe VRS!

Retreating blade stall generally occurs at higher airspeeds, though, again, I'm not familiar with the Cobra's performance specs. In counter-clockwise rotating rotorcraft (I think all US-made combat helos) RBS results in a left roll and pitch, which seems to be the opposite of what happened here.

Comment

Seems like it to mee too.

FAA training is the same as you described. Although, there are many thread debates about VRS/SWP. Cause/Effect, etc...do a search and you will find some interesting perspectives.

Originally posted by LibertyUnites View Post
      Wow, very dramatic! I'm not familiar with the Cobra's performance but I believe VRS, or as the Army refers to it: settling with power, is certainly a prime candidate.

I'm noticing a difference in what the Army teaches and what the FAA does, so I'm not trying to insult anyone's intelligence but we are taught three things must exist for settling with power to occur: rate of descent of at least 300fpm, insufficient power to arrest descent, and slow airspeed (below ETL). Based on how he was maneuvering, I'd imagine he had a lot of power applied and when he went to turn, his true airspeed would've dropped off. His rate of descent as he turned certainly picked up so maybe VRS!

Retreating blade stall generally occurs at higher airspeeds, though, again, I'm not familiar with the Cobra's performance specs. In counter-clockwise rotating rotorcraft (I think all US-made combat helos) RBS results in a left roll and pitch, which seems to be the opposite of what happened here.

Comment

Seems like it to mee too. The pilot said his controls jammed...could be.

FAA training is the same as you described. Although, there are many thread debates about VRS/SWP. Cause/Effect, etc...do a search and you will find some interesting perspectives.

Originally posted by LibertyUnites View Post

Comment

That Cobra had the 'Kaman' style rotor system and the 505 series swash plate system.
          the hydraulic system had accumulators like the Mike model Huey 3 pumps after failure and it's solid FUBAR. This one had an electric pump for back up but as you see it didn't work as designed.

It just flew into the ground plane & simple.

Comment

Over my mountains with my flying chair

44°39'12.29"N 6°10'16.67"E

https://goo.gl/photos/j7MJmVEJX1KKTMAQ7

Comment

Always good to check your vids, Gérard !
              Mountain scenary is always, IMO, a good way to promote gyro.
              Patiently waiting for the next one, as I guess winter will affect your flying time and we would not want frozen moustache !!!
              Promoting gyro training at french "Godasses Volantes" club :
              https://youtu.be/OoEoXOKi6Do

Comment

Panoramic photos in flight over the Alps in France near Aspres sur Buëch LFNJ

Bonjour amis pilotes

Panoramic photos in flight over the Alps in France near Aspres sur Buëch LFNJ

https://goo.gl/photos/ChFnxSUBshCmBL7h9

Comment

Beautiful pictures!

Thank you for sharing Gérard.
                  Regards, Vance Breese Gyroplane CFI http://www.breeseaircraft.com/

Comment

Oh, the scenery. Nice shots, Gerard!

Comment

Working...
                    X