Chino Airshow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chino Airshow

We went down to the incredible Chino Airshow ... I took the gyro with as usual. Stopped off at Kernville airport East of Bakersfield on the way and flew around Lake Isabella and hung out. Cool people .. got a lot of back country airstrip info from the manager that I really appreciate. At the show we got to see the restored Northrup Flying wing 1/4 scale FLY!!! and many rare planes.. my favorite the Grumman F7F.. On the way home we camped at a small flat spot at Fossil Falls off of 395 N where I flew around in some nice wind and got the strange picture from about 600 AGL of the desert floor. I take a 650 Honda dirt bike and the M912 in a trailer so I can stop and see anything. The sport copter gets off quick and doesn't mind rough ground so I don't need an airport.

I volunteered on the restoration of the N9M along with a high school buddy of mine, Greg Shackle. Greg put in way more hours than I did. The restoration was performed at a secret, off airport location, away from Chino airport, just to minimize the amount of "Lookey Loos" that could slow down the restoration progress, by constantly stopping work to graciously answer questions. That secret, off airport location was affectionately named "The Pole Cat Works."

There is a connection of the Northrup N9M to the old TV show Lassie. The child actor who played Timmy Martin on the old TV show Lassie, John Provost, his dad was one of the engineers who work on the N9M, XB-35 & YB-49 Flying Wings.

Wayne

Comment

That would be something to be part of.

Comment

That was a great airshow - my son and I went there for the day....
        Terry Smith
        Moreno Valley, CA

"Remember - No Matter Where You Go, There You Are" (Buckaroo Banzai)
        PRA Member # 35500 PRA Chapter #1 President
        Building a Sportcopter 582 Completion Date - 2018 (most likely)

My Current Build Log

Comment

Working...
        X