More fun flying The Predator.

A magical flight to Santa Ynez.

A magical flight to Santa Ynez.

I spent some time at the hangar Friday trying to find the source of some oil that ends up on the firewall when I exceed eighty knots. Finding the source is a slow process because I can’t watch it at eighty knots so I have to clean and then try to find the path. Seventy five knots and no oil and there is not a direct path. I left feeling that my breather hose might have some cracks that I don’t see so I stopped by the hardware store on the way home to pick up some breather hose.

Saturday was the EAA meeting in Santa Ynez and it was elections so I wanted to be there. There were some friends there who had been supportive of my quest to become a CFI and I looked forward to sharing my success.

It was clear at day break and already 8 degrees C (46 F) headed for 21 C (70F) winds calm.

I worked through the morning minutia and headed down the hill and across the fields to SMX.

I imagined that installing the breather hose would be a quick process; silly me.

They didn’t have the clear plastic tubing I wanted so I got some that was reinforced. I had to use my heat gun to get it over the fittings. The maintenance flight went well and I worked through a second quick preflight.

The meeting was at ten hundred so I wanted to be wheels up by nine hundred. I missed the mark by about 15 minutes. I felt it was too nice a day to go direct. I figured some airspeed would be a good way to test the new breather.

I asked for a left downwind to the east south east. I was number four for takeoff.

“Experimental 142 Mike Golf, runway three zero clear for takeoff, left downwind approved, early left turn approved, have a great flight Vance.” How could I not?

The air was silky smooth as we made our way over the vineyards at 85kts indicated air speed showing 88kts of ground speed on the GPS. The wind picked up a little over the hills making for some gentle rocking and rolling. The Lycoming sounded happy making more power than usual. I was showing between 2,350 and 2,400 rpm depending on how much rising air I had. The Predator had a wonderful effortless feel as she bounded across the hills.

I felt like dogs I have seen in the back of pickup trucks with their ears flapping back and their tails wagging. Several Woo Hoos escaped my lips and were lost to the sound of the wind, rotors and engine.

I checked the automated weather observation system (AWOS) and the mechanical voice had the winds 240 at 3kts and a small change in the altimeter setting.

I began my descent and made my initial radio call; ten miles to the west descending through 2,000 feet inbound for runway 26 to land.

There were six aircraft in the pattern with two making nonstandard entries.

I reported five miles west over the quarry, inbound on the forty five over the river bridge, downwind mid field, turning base and turning final. I extended my downwind for a sail plane on a right down wind and an unannounced straight in RV went around because the sail plane landed a little long on the dirt field in line with runway 26. I don’t know if I would have seen him if I had turned base where I usually do. It would not have been close but it was unsettling never the less.

I was having fun making precise turns in the pattern and I managed my unusually high pattern speed and descent well. All my control inputs were very deliberate and they were rewarded with a gentle touch down at about 15kts with a quick exit from runway 26.

The new breather was not successful with a light oil spray on the firewall. I checked the oil and there was no visible change on the dip stick. The oil on the firewall looks cleaner than the oil on the dip stick.
I pondered over this as I walked to the other end of the airport for the meeting.
There was not a quorum. The speaker was a diver involved in raising the Russian submarine with the Glomar Explorer in the early 70s and it was very interesting if somewhat unrelated to aviation.

There were not enough people to order Pizza. I was offered a ride into town for lunch but I thought it would be more fun to head up to San Luis Obispo.

I was rewarded with smooth warm air with a steady 8kt wind out of the West. It was just enough to where I could pull the power back as I wandered along the ridge at 75kts. More happy puppy stuff.

I had too many nice pictures so I broke the story up.

Attachments

• IZA 003.jpg
    IZA 003.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 002.jpg
    IZA 002.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 007.jpg
    IZA 007.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 004.jpg
    IZA 004.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 009.JPG
    IZA 009.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 010.jpg
    IZA 010.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 012.jpg
    IZA 012.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 015.jpg
    IZA 015.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 2
A little airspace drama.

A little airspace drama.

I listened to SMX ATC and it sounded like everyone was out practicing missed approaches for runway one two. They launched a helicopter in my direction but I never saw him.

I love the lift I find along the hills and was abeam the water tower too soon.

I called SBP from ten miles to the South East at 1,200 feet inbound with Echo. After an ident I was to fly direct to the numbers remaining south of the centerline and report four miles.

ATC was working with seven landing aircraft and three waiting to take off. The pilot behind me in a Bonanza didn’t follow directions and flew the centerline across the Edna Valley too low to make turns for spacing. This caused a reginal jet to make a right three sixty for spacing and a Great Lakes to go around. As this began to unfold ATC asked me for a quick exit.

After giving the recalcitrant pilot unfollowed directions three times you could hear the frustration in the controller’s voice as he asked the jet to make a right three sixty and told the Great Lakes to go around.

More fun with quick deliberate control inputs and I was off quickly and did not become a part of the problem. I was glad to have ATC looking out for me. It was the new tower boss and he has learned the airspace quickly and well. He took the time to thank me for the help.

Post flight inspection showed no oil on the firewall even though the GPS showed an average speed of 79kts and a maximum speed of 98kts.

Lunch was great and I headed over to the flight school to hang out.

One of the pilots I had heard practicing at SMX was a young lady I had met before who was preparing for her instrument check ride Sunday. I found the way my friend prepared her for the check ride interesting and instructive. He works closely with the designated pilot examiner and knows exactly what will be expected. I suspect she will do well.

I made my way back to SMX along the shoreline.

There was enough traffic to keep the camera in my pocket. I feel I have overdone the pictures of the shoreline anyway and enjoyed the reduced pilot work load.

Every part of the flight was magical leaving me with some wonderful memories.

Thank you for giving me an excuse to relive a lovely day of flying.

Just so you don’t think it is always perfect flying weather here in Sothern California I have a flight scheduled for tomorrow that may get canceled for rain. Richard is coming a long way so we will need to decide tonight. As of now NWS is predicting a 70 percent chance of light rain showers in the afternoon with winds to 17kts. The NWS often misses the schedule of rain by quite a way so we will wait till the storm gets a little closer to decide. Or plan B is Wednesday and at this time it looks worse.

Attachments

• IZA 023.jpg
    IZA 023.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 026.jpg
    IZA 026.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 028.jpg
    IZA 028.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 030.jpg
    IZA 030.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 043.jpg
    IZA 043.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 051.jpg
    IZA 051.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 036.jpg
    IZA 036.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2
  • IZA 032.jpg
    IZA 032.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 2
A real pleasure to read your journals after the unpleasant business of engaging with Lord Voldemort on a much less pleasant thread.

Thank you.

Glad to have you along Fergus!

Glad to have you along Fergus!

I love the idea of someone so far away who knows the joy of being pilot in command of a gyroplane sharing in the joy of flying a gyroplane around California.

Ireland is one of the most beautiful places I have been and I enjoyed the culture and history.

I would love to fly there and find joy in having friends there.

All the best my friend.

Good luck with finding the source of the oil leak,I have been looking for mine for about

150 hrs ever since I overhauled my engine,it puts just a light trace on my prop and is

driving me nuts !

Best regards,

Thank you Eddie.

I expect a Lycoming to leak as long as it has oil in it.

It is an engine whose basic design is from the forties and has changed very little.

There are always at least two leaks to fix.

Push rod tube seals and some gaskets seem to be temporary.

She goes through a quart of oil in around five hours and this is considered good for a Lycoming IO-320.

I clean the engine and use baby powder to find the leaks. I suspect this one is buried between the magnetos and fuel pump. I will need to spend some time with a mirror.

We worked around the weather!

We worked around the weather!

Just so you don’t think it is always perfect flying weather here in Sothern California I have a flight scheduled for tomorrow that may get canceled for rain. Richard is coming a long way so we will need to decide tonight. As of now NWS is predicting a 70 percent chance of light rain showers in the afternoon with winds to 17kts. The NWS often misses the schedule of rain by quite a way so we will wait till the storm gets a little closer to decide. Or plan B is Wednesday and at this time it looks worse.

I got an email from Rick that he had checked the weather too and saw the chance of the storm arriving early.

He had caught an earlier flight in from Paris to Santa Barbara and Monday would work for him.

I checked the weather and it looked like a nice day to fly. No more than 7kts of wind predicted and clear skies all day.

I called him and we agreed on meeting at the airport at 12:30ish so I ate some lunch and headed down to the hangar. I wanted to complete the preflight before Rick’s arrival so I could focus on showing him how to do the preflight.

Rick is an airline captain so I could just touch briefly on the airport, airspace and radio procedures.

We explored his gyroplane fantasy and his expectation from the flight because we had only talked briefly on the phone.

I had asked him to look over the rotorcraft flying handbook and he had studied it carefully.

Rick learned to fly in the US Navy so he didn’t have a lot of experience with the civilian syllabus. He had sold his Long-EZ because he didn’t feel comfortable flying low level when the engine quits. It has a small fragile nose wheel and no roll over protection. He felt if he landed in a soft field he would lose the nose gear and he was going over.

Based on this we developed a mission profile.

We went through explanations of the preflight, gyroplane aerodynamics, the mission profile and procedures. He was patient with my pace and asked good questions.

Rick liked all my check lists, radio call sheets and procedures.

Based on stories of my last training mission and taking our new mission profile into consideration we decided we would both be more comfortable if I was in the front seat.

Things were going very well until I called Lockheed Martin and found AIRMET Sierra was in effect for the rest of the day and VFR flight was not recommended along our route of flight. She checked the satellite pictures and in our area the fog was hanging right along the shoreline, about 12 miles from KSMX. The temperature/dew point spread was nine degrees.

It was hard to imagine because from our vantage point there was nothing but blue sky so we walked out to the end of the hangar row and could see a wall of fog near the shoreline. After some discussion; we felt we would just modify our fight profile to manage the weather. We went over the chart briefly and pushed The Predator outside about 14:45.

I talked Rick through the takeoff and gave him the pedals at the end of the runway so he could get a feel for them before I gave him the rest of the aircraft controls. I pointed him toward Guadalupe and he flew along well at 50kts because I had learned from my last flight that anything more than50kts in the back seat is a distraction and the wind noise makes it hard to hear.

I took the controls back and did my slow flight, power off vertical descent, steep turn demonstration and returned the aircraft controls to Rick. He is tall so he can see the instruments pretty well from the back seat.

With a little practice with some direction; Rick was plus or minus five knots and plus or minus 50 feet (commercial standards). We modified our path to the beach for cloud clearance and headed up the shoreline turning east just south of the Pismo Pier climbing over the hills to the Huasna Valley.

Rick was getting into flying a gyroplane low level and worked his way across the hills as I pointed out potential landing spots.

I suggested he circle around the stegosaurs and it seemed to be a good substitute for turns around a point. We wandered around the valley for a bit and then worked our way out to the Twitchell reservoir. I checked ATIS and called the tower over Twitchell reservoir with Victor. We were to make right traffic and report midfield.

Rick wanted to take some pictures and gave me back the aircraft controls. With the low sun reflecting off the mist visibility was poor even though the ATIS had sky conditions as clear and visibility six miles.

The new guy in the tower cleared me for a touch and go and I explained I was unable and needed a stop and go. He extended our right down wind and he would call our base. I never saw the aircraft on a left base and was grateful for ATC’s help.

I did a vertical descent from over the numbers and Rick exclaimed through his laughter that it was just like an elevator ride.

After four patterns talking through landing and takeoff procedure I asked Rick if he would like to try one. I didn’t do the exchange of controls well and I discovered how forgiving The Predator is and just how important the proper exchange of controls is. I finished the takeoff and gave Rick back the controls.

Rick flew the pattern and handled the landing very well until he moved the cyclic forward after touchdown. He said it was his muscle memory and training kicking in. I didn’t realize that in an airliner you plant the aircraft after touch down by pushing the yoke forward. It took a couple of rounds to realign his response to touchdown. All of his landings were nice.

Note to self: Better explain cyclic full back until stopped. I had trouble with this too because I was taught in a Helicopter after the flair I was to level the skids.

On the takeoff roll Rick had a little trouble anticipating the nose coming up but after the first one managed takeoffs well.

In the debrief Rick said he had a lot of fun and wants to start training. He was a little frustrated that I would not accept payment but liked my hard line attitude about the regulations.

Rick said it was humbling learning to fly again.

I thought he did great!

We had successfully completed some ground reference maneuvers, some pilotage and four takeoffs and landings. We flew for an hour and fifty two minutes. Rick had the aircraft controls for all but about 15 minutes of the flight when I was demonstrating maneuvers.

I felt it was a great excuse to fly and I loved watching and helping Rick make progress.

I just heard from the representative from the Van Nuys FSDO that he will be working on the LODA for The Predator next week. He just got back from a week of training in Oklahoma City and wanted to let me know I was number three in his stack. He recalled seeing me fly. There is still no telling how long it will take.

I love this new way I have found to have fun flying The Predator. With this student the fun exceeded my fantasy. I learned a lot and loved every minute of the flight.

The picture is not Ricks Long-EZ; he didn't smile for the pictures and you can see the fog behind us in the one picture. That is why we chose a different path to the shoreline.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 4174250802_e74c1a65d1.jpg
    4174250802_e74c1a65d1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 2
Educational & entertaining

Educational & entertaining

I love this new way I have found to have fun flying The Predator. With this student the fun exceeded my fantasy. I learned a lot and loved every minute of the flight.

It's a pleasure to hear the detailed recounting of your sheer delight in the new level of flying fun you are enjoying - sharing your passion in your unique gyroplane and honing new teaching skills. :usa2:

I'm glad a few like you are still keeping the "good-stuff" going on this forum! :yo:

It's a pleasure to hear the detailed recounting of your sheer delight in the new level of flying fun you are enjoying - sharing your passion in your unique gyroplane and honing new teaching skills. :usa2:

I'm glad a few like you are still keeping the "good-stuff" going on this forum! :yo:

Thank you Chris, glad to have you along.

Just when I think it can't get any better it gets better.

Nice Job Vance!! It looked like it was a little chilly outside!!

It was warm at the hangar and I thought his leather jacket would be enough.

It was not and he needed gloves.

I just wore my flight suit with a t shirt underneath and I was fine behind the windshield.

I am trying to figure out how to manage a windshield in the back.

I found that anything over about 50kts makes it hard to hear and there is a lot of wind noise in the microphone.

It will need to fold or be removable so I can get in the front seat from the back. It is already a little awkward with my bar for the shoulder harness.

I would like to have indicated airspeed and an altimeter in the back. I found I could not watch both over/around the person in the front seat.

My current thought is to start most people in the back and then move them up when I have more confidence in their skill.

I am having a challenge transitioning from an introductory flight to actual training. I am trying to get too much into four hours.

I allowed Rick get into a lot of trouble taking off before I took the controls and I was very pleased with how easy it was to regain control.

Once again Mark; your design (The Predator) is proving itself to be easy to fly and very forgiving.

I am very much looking forward to getting the LODA for her and training for real. My practice students learn so much and do so well with two hours of flight and two hours of ground school. I am excited about taking it to the next level.

I had such a feeling of accomplishment with my practice student that I shared a cross country found the same joy I find managing the process and touching down at a distant airport. I never taught him to take off and land so we are looking forward to that next summer.

Last edited:
I can see clearly now!

I can see clearly now!

On my flight with Rick I found myself looking around the windshield when I was trying to find an aircraft looking directly into the sun. The mist and setting sun were also part of the problem. The crazing on the windshield added to the challenge.

Over the years the windshield had developed little stress cracks and under certain conditions it’s hard to see through.

I was embarrassed about the way it looks because cleaning the windshield is part of the preflight.

What does the crazed windshield say about the rest of my maintenance?

So I went to the aviation department of Home Depot and purchased a sheet of .093 Lexan for $115 and have enough left over to make a second windshield.

I just traced the old windshield and copied the holes and it fits perfectly.

I enjoyed the view on my maintenance flight more than I expected now that it is clear again. I suspect I pretended the crazing didn’t bother me as much as it did.

It was not a big job and I should have done it when I first brought The Predator home.

Pulling the panel is never simple and I couldn’t reach some of the screws with the panel in place.

It reminds me of what a nice job Mark Givans did building The Predator.

There are all kinds of nice thoughtful touches.

I copied the painted black stripe on the windshield and I am pleased with the way it looks without the plastic trim. It always seemed to be coming lose.

I realized the story was not complete without a before picture so I added a picture of before at San Luis Obispo Airport Day. You can’t see the little cracks in the picture but notice you can’t see the aircraft next to her through both sides of the windshield.

You can also see where the trim has come loose in this picture. The kids would always pick at it.

Attachments

• wind 003.jpg
    wind 003.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 3
  • wind 006.jpg
    wind 006.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 3
  • wind 007.jpg
    wind 007.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 3
  • wind 008.jpg
    wind 008.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2
  • wind 010.jpg
    wind 010.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2
  • wind 009.jpg
    wind 009.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 2
  • SBPAD 044.jpg
    SBPAD 044.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
On my flight with Rick I found myself looking around the windshield when I was trying to find an aircraft looking directly into the sun. The mist and setting sun were also part of the problem. The crazing on the windshield added to the challenge.

Over the years the windshield had developed little stress cracks and under certain conditions it’s hard to see through.

I was embarrassed about the way it looks because cleaning the windshield is part of the preflight.

So I went to the aviation department of Home Depot and purchased a sheet of .093 Lexan for $115 and have enough left over to make a second windshield.

I enjoyed the view on my maintenance flight more than I expected now that it is clear again. I suspect I pretended the crazing didn’t bother me as much as it did.

It was not a big job and I should have done it when I first brought The Predator home.

Pulling the panel in never simple and I couldn’t reach some of the screws with the panel in place.

I copied the painted black stripe on the windshield and I am pleased with the way it looks without the plastic trim. It always seemed to be coming lose.

Nice job Vance!!

Hi Vance, is the reason your student was in the rear seat simply because you don't have a LODA for the Predator yet? Does it specify somewhere that the PIC needs to be in the front seat?

Greetings, -- Chris.

A learning process.

A learning process.

Hi Vance, is the reason your student was in the rear seat simply because you don't have a LODA for the Predator yet? Does it specify somewhere that the PIC needs to be in the front seat?

Greetings, -- Chris.

Hello Chris,

I don’t have toe brakes, radio communications, control of the intercom, pre-rotator, rotor brake, magneto switches, engine start button in the back seat and can’t lean the engine. I have some challenges with the intercom.

Not having toe brakes makes the hand off of the controls more challenging. “I have the aircraft controls except you are steering with the toe brakes until we are going fast enough to steer with the rudder.”

None of this is hard to change. I don’t know how much I will be training in The Predator.

I don’t know if there will be limitations on the LODA because I have not seen it yet.

We were somewhat time constrained and it was more of an introductory flight so Rick decided to fly from the back.

I practiced training John before my practical test with him in the back seat and taught him to land with very little air time.

I took the practical test with Terry in the back seat and he felt it worked well.

I would like to put indicated airspeed and an altimeter in the back because they are hard to see with a helmet in the way.

A windshield for the back would be nice.

I flew with Nick in the front seat and it worked out well and I learned a lot.

I feel it puts a lot of pressure on the student knowing there are some things I can’t fix.

I feel Rick and Nick were equally successful.

I will change things as I learn. I am not in a rut yet.

Last edited:

Pulling the panel is never simple and I couldn’t reach some of the screws with the panel in place.

I realized the story was not complete without a before picture so I added a picture of before at San Luis Obispo Airport Day. You can’t see the little cracks in the picture but notice you can’t see the aircraft next to her through both sides of the windshield.

You can also see where the trim has come loose in this picture. The kids would always pick at it.

The new windscreen looks picture perfect Vance! You are so resourceful...great job!
Kyron

California Dreaming on a Winter’s Day.

California Dreaming on a Winter’s Day.

Autumn had ended a little early and it was 42 degrees F this morning. I didn’t have anywhere in particular to go and it took me a while to get bundled up. It was the first time I have worn my thermals this year.

It had climbed into the low 50s by the time I rolled the M out of the garage. I had the top up for some light rain and it felt good to drop it.

I took the back way to the airport and loved the aroma of the fields. There was a bite in the air and it felt good on my neck. The air was clean and had a nice taste. It was a Patsy Cline morning.

I waved my wallet at the keypad and the gate groaned open letting me in to the wonderful world of aviation.

The hangar doors seemed reluctant and I spent a lot of time trying to imagine where exactly to put an air speed indicator and altimeter in the back and how to manage a windshield. I developed a fantasy and made some doodles. I will see if it grows on me.

I put on my flight suite to complete my cold weather ensemble and it felt good.

Things were cold to the touch as I worked my way through the preflight.

I pushed her outside and called Lockheed Martin. There was another parachute jump zone closer to Morrow Bay and a storm stalled off shore. Winds were twelve knots and steady.

I checked ATIS and information Juliet was current with winds 250 degrees at 12kts and runway 30 was in use.

The Lycoming started at the firs touch of the button and stumbled for a few seconds before settling into a nice 720 rpm idle. I leaned for taxi, worked though my after start list and called ground from Mike for a taxi to runway 30.

The sleepy airport seemed to come alive as I taxied on Alpha. By the time I had reached Alpha eight I had been joined by four aircraft; two Cessna’s, a Piper and an RV.

The Magneto check went well and I continued through my list before pulling up to the hold short line and changing to tower. There was a Mooney on final that had a landing approval so I was surprised when the tower said; “Experimental 142 Mike Golf, runway three zero clear for takeoff, slight left approved.”

I was at 80 rrpm by the time I reached the centerline and 100 rrpm quickly. I pretended I was teaching John and talked my way through the very short takeoff roll. The density altitude was minus thirty four feet and it felt like the propeller and the rotor really got ahold of the air. We were soon climbing at 1,200 feet per minute at 50kts indicated air speed.

As much as I like the feel of the M Roadster it can’t match the feel of The Predator. He helmet kept my ears warm and the cool air washed over my face in a most invigorating way. I could smell the wet earth I felt alive and vibrant.

With her nose high I enjoyed the new windshield a lot.

The sun had gone behind a big dark cloud and the edges occasionally glowed orange with little brush strokes of white clouds. The pictures cannot capture the transient nature of the colors. The best pictures didn’t come out because I was shooting into the sun through holes in the cloud.

The air was wonderfully smooth and although the wind changed directions it was nice and steady. The needle on the airspeed indicator looked like it was stuck on fifty knots as we wandered across the fields toward the Pacific.

The closer I got the more intense the feel of the ocean air was. It was so thick I felt like I was bathing in it.

I headed up the beach and the surf was uncommonly flat.

The distant horizon was a strange ginger rose beneath the pale blue sky.

At Oso Flaco I turned east and watched some rodeo practice at Guadalupe. I could watch the trail of dust behind the horse as he overtook the steer and then the whole thing coming to a halt in a cloud of dust as man struggled with beast.

I wandered around the Santa Maria Valley aimlessly finding visual stimulation in every direction.

I felt the master of my special world that most on the ground had never imagined.

I was reluctant to land and it felt like The Predator wanted to play some more.

I sat in the afterglow for more than 45 minutes, cold enough to feel vibrant yet warm enough to enjoy the cold.

I was slow to put her away and lingered on the details.

As I drove across the fields on the way home I recalled the feelings and longed to be back in the sky.

Attachments

• evening 004.JPG
    evening 004.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 2
  • evening 007.JPG
    evening 007.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 2
  • evening 011.JPG
    evening 011.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 2
  • evening 021.JPG
    evening 021.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 2
  • evening 023.JPG
    evening 023.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 2
  • evening 027.jpg
    evening 027.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2
  • evening 041.JPG
    evening 041.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 2
  • evening 054.JPG
    evening 054.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 2
Forty two degrees F again Sunday morning.

Forty two degrees F again Sunday morning.

I headed down the back roads toward SMX singing along with Hank Williams Amazing Grace.

I feel like flying is a spiritual thing and this seemed the proper opening for a Sunday flight.

I find the magnificent vistas from the seat of The Predator cathartic and the deep blue sky called to me.

My hangar neighbor and friend Mitch had pulled his beautiful Mooney out of his hangar and was preparing her for a flight Monday. It was already gleaming in the bright sunlight and he was polishing it even more. It will be his first flight in almost a year due to life’s challenges getting in the way. It was nice to see this milestone in his recovery from life’s trials.

I worked my way through preflight and Lockheed Martin didn’t have anything bad to say about the weather for a flight to San Luis Obispo (SBP). The Briefer made me aware of parachute jumping near Santa Margarita and a couple of unlit towers.

I rolled The Predator outside and pointed her in a direction where she wouldn’t blow into Mitch’s hangar.

The engine caught at the first touch of the button but staggered for a few seconds before settling down to a nice steady idle.

Jim Jones (the tower boss) was on the radio and unlike some of the controllers he speaks in a slow deliberate way. I listen to radio work and think about whom I would like to emulate and Jim is at the top of my list. I find I am less likely to make a mistake when talking to him because I am not trying to rush the words out.

I could feel an impatient Ryan Navion close behind on Alpha as I taxied to the run up area.

The Magneto check went well and I worked my way through the pre-takeoff list, pulled up to the hold short line and changed to tower frequency.

We were cleared for takeoff immediately and a slight left turn out was approved. Jim restricted altitude of a transitioning aircraft above my altitude and made an opposite direction instrument missed approach pilot aware of my position and altitude. He had them report traffic in site without ever speeding up his speech cadence.

The sky was so blue and everything was so clear it didn’t look real. The pictures only touch on the beauty.

The air was wonderfully smooth as we made our way across the Santa Maria Valley.

The colors in the fields were vibrant and each crop has its own unique scent.

The ocean was a deep blue and the horizon was muddled by distant clouds.

When we reached the shoreline I pulled the power back to idle for a vertical descent from eight hundred to five hundred feet. The sudden lack of engine nose and the dominance of the sound of the rotor was pure magic shifting the world into slow motion.

We made our way up the shoreline announcing every odd mile; climbing to 700 feet and changing frequencies over Shell beach. San Luis Obispo was very busy and it took three calls before I got a response. The controller was working both tower and ground frequencies so it is hard to know when to break in. I went back to the traditional; “San Luis Obispo Tower, experimental 142 Mike Golf” to keep from stepping on him. The local protocol is to include ATIS, direction, distance, altitude and intentions.

We were to make left traffic for runway two niner and report downwind midfield.

I marveled at the way the Edna Valley opens up as we come out of the Avila pass.

Just before turning down wind the tower asked my position and before I could answer he said; “Experimental Two Mike Golf; I have you is sight.”

Abeam the tower I heard; “Experimental Two Mike Golf, runway two niner clear to land number two behind the reginal jet on a five mile final, report in sight.” I reported the reginal jet in sight and was cleared to land number two, caution wake turbulence. It was calm enough for wake turbulence to be a problem so I closely watched where the jet touched down. I was pleased to see it just past the threshold of runway two niner.

There were four aircraft behind me with a 172 also on a left downwind so the tower asked me to pick up the speed. I ran her up to 90kts and requested a short approach and it was approved as requested. I love making a steep descending turn to land and had the power back to idle as we finished the turn still making 90kts indicated air speed. I love seeing the altimeter unwind. I set her down as nice as could be at the taxiway and was off quickly. “Thanks for the help Vance, taxi across Alpha to restaurant parking this frequency.”

Several people on the patio clapped as I walked up the ramp.

The number two 172 pilot behind me came by and after identifying me as the “gyrocopter pilot” said; “I had you in sight and was overtaking you and then you were just suddenly gone. I have never seen anything like that.”

He asked the usual questions of how fast, how high and how far.

I love this simple flight.

Attachments

• SBP 017.jpg
    SBP 017.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1
  • SBP 015.jpg
    SBP 015.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 1
  • SBP 006.jpg
    SBP 006.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1
  • SBP 002.jpg
    SBP 002.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1
  • SBP 028.jpg
    SBP 028.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1
  • SBP 029.jpg
    SBP 029.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1
  • SBP 033.jpg
    SBP 033.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1
  • SBP 036.jpg
    SBP 036.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1
Homeward Bound.

Homeward Bound.

The wind was coming up a little at SBP so I felt it would be a good day for some ridge soaring.

As I taxied on Alpha to runway two niner full length I saw my friend John waving and let the tower know I would be pulling off at site November.

I had a nice visit with John and met a new friend with a very nice Velocity. John thought he spotted a crack in the nose gear and I got out to have a look. It turned out to be a scratch in the paint from installing the cotter pin in the nose wheel pivot. After a half hour of a fun exchange I resumed my taxi to two niner.

I asked for a right down wind departure to the east.

“Experimental two Mike Golf, runway two niner clear for takeoff, right down wind approved no delay.”

Apparently I was not fast enough because at about 500 feet AGL he asked me to make an early right turn just past the tower.

I marveled at how easily The Predator climbs and headed toward the ridgeline. I was not disappointed and found lots of lift. I loved pulling the power back and surveying the Edna Valley from my special perspective (2,500 feet above) and close to the mountains.

I soon found myself higher than I had intended and dropped back down over the ridgeline and then did a near vertical descent for 1,000 feet over Lake Lopez. The water level is low; the lake is still a deep blue in lovely contrast to the mountains in its own little valley.

The Huasna valley opened in front of me with its special scents and the air was a little more turbulent. I played around following the river and climbing over the hills. I can never get enough of this sort cavorting. I love tracing the patterns on the ground and using them for an excuse to bank and climb.

I often practice simulated engine outs and I appreciate the way possibilities for landing zones expand as I get lower. The landing zones look so small from even 1,500 AGL and expand to greet me as I come closer.

Over the Twitchell reservoir I checked the SMX ATIS and called the tower inbound with Bravo.

“Experimental 142 Mike Golf, Make right downwind for runway three zero.” It was the new guy, I can’t remember his name; he doesn’t ask for a reporting like the rest of the controllers do.

Because of the way I was coming in over the city a stayed at 1,300 feet (fixed wing pattern altitude; 1040 feet AGL).

I marveled at the patterns that the various housing developments create and kept my eyes searching for landing zones. I usually make a base entry for runway three zero and I am not over the city as long.

A new controller has a lot to learn about local customs. Our next FAST meeting at SMX is our annual “meet the controllers and ask them questions” meeting.

I thought I had flared to high too high and was waiting for the hard bounce until I realized I had already touched down. I love landings like that.

I spent quite a while in the afterglow before pushing her in the hangar. I was struggling with wanting to fly some more but practicality won out.

Attachments

• SBP 040.jpg
    SBP 040.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1
  • SBP 048.jpg
    SBP 048.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1
  • SBP 054.jpg
    SBP 054.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1
  • SBP 069.jpg
    SBP 069.jpg