My First Gyro Adventure

rcflier

Experienced Gyroplane Pilot
Aircraft
Auto-Gyro MTO Sport 914 (upgraded MT-03)
Total Flight Time
35 as PIC
Hi guys and gals.

I just had a great gyro week-end.

Some travel to Thailand or Bali.........I did this instead - to finally ascertain, if I wanted to go forward with getting a license and with my build.
(no reason being stuck in this old dream, if I didn't like to fly anyway...)

The Danish Gyrocopter Association had invited pilots from Denmark, Sweden and Germany to participate in an island-hopping event.
But, as there are no club owned gyros for hire in Denmark, I had turned to Sweden, where "Skånska Gyrokopterklubben" owns a few
open gyros for schooling and certified members can rent them also. So I ended up becoming a short time member to be able to rent
an MTO open gyro for the trip - the trip was estimated to last 5 tacho hours (you see, the Swedish instructor Roman Tadic had kindly
offered to be in the backseat, if any students wanted to go on the trip). And I asked for two of those hours to be with instruction.

When the day arrived, I took the early morning ferry and Roman picked me up - we had to take off in a hurry because of a strong headwind.

It turned out to be hard work, as soon as we were in the air he transferred the stick to me, and I had 1½ hours of trying to fly in formation
with the other Swedish gyro, an open Magni. In a strong headwind.

We landed on a small airfield (EKMN) on a Danish island, waited for the rest of the pilots to arrive and when we were all there we went for some lunch nearby.
I believe we were at least 9 gyros and two planes. Quite a turnout, as there are just 14 gyros registered in Denmark. One German (MTO Sport), 4 Swedish (MTO Sport,
Cavalon and Xenon) and then it must've been 4 Danish gyros (Cavalon and Calidus).

Then in the air again and some sightseeing and landing on another, larger airfield to get some fuel. Then onto a small island named "Femø",
where the restaurant has its own landing strip - no landing fee if you buy food. We had booked rooms there beforehand, so we had a good meal
and a few beers before letting our heads fall onto our pillows - quite late, of course.

Next day away we went to the island "Ærø" where we rented bicycles, so we could get to the nearest city, where our chairman had ordered "open faced sandwiches" (called "smörgåsbord" in Sweden - "smørrebrød" in Denmark). No beers for the pilots, just sodapop.

From Ærø we then went directly "home" to Sweden, about 1½ hour of flight with the strong wind at our back this time.

So my first time with stick in hand was 6+ hours - and I made one landing and one start also. I was mentally unprepared, but it looks like we survived. :)

The experience was just like I had expected - great. So now I'll plough on getting a fixed wing license, convert to gyro and start building my own Gyrobee.

Cheers
Erik

Attachments

• photo127772.jpg
    photo127772.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 4
  • photo127773.jpg
    photo127773.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo127775.jpg
    photo127775.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 2
Excellent, sounds like you had a great introduction to modern gyrocopters - good luck with your training - let us know how it goes.

Regards

Now that is what I'm talk'n about!!!
Very cool and enjoyed the description and the photos!!
Thanks for sharing!!!!!!