Wrens CHALLENGE 2018 - Sep 15 - Carolina and FLA vs. GA!!

NetPilot

Tryin' to Re-Member
Aircraft
2016 Rotax 503 "Jake-inator" (i.e. Gyro Jake's 2016 creation)
Total Flight Time
300+
Wrens Fall Fly-in is September 15th! Wrens Airport, Georgia. (65J)

WRENS IS GONNA ROCK in 2018!

Last year we were hoping to see 30 gyros and 200 people. But, due to Hurricane Irma rolling through just days before, we had a slight dip in gyro attendance, seeing 24 in total. Not too bad, but still not as many as the 26 gyros we saw in 2016. However, we stomped the 'people attendance' goal, seeing at least 237 people. Not too shabby!

So, this year we are setting our sights to see at least 30 gyros and hopefully over 250 people.

See last year's details here: https://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/g...e-2017-sep-15-17-ga-and-carolina-vs-the-world

What is really exciting this year is all the interest we are seeing from our Florida friends in this thread started by Joe Pires: https://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/general/events/1133310-wrens

So, this year it seems that Carolina and Florida are getting all sassy on us and teaming up to challenge Georgia on it's own turf!

The CHALLENGE is ON! :cool:

As usual, every other state (and country) are hereby challenged to come on over to see what Wrens has to offer! Bring your gyros!!

Early birds expected on Thursday (9/13) and some even earlier!

See you there!

-Mark

Who's coming out?

And the tally begins...

I will try to keep it updated up until the event...

Folks who PLAN TO ATTEND:

GEORGIA
- Trell N. (not on RWF anymore) bringing "Plumb-Crazy" Ultrawhite Dominator - ARRIVED
- Alex V. (not on RWF)
- Tom D. (Shootthrees)
- Jon C. (jcarleto)
- Me (NetPilot) bringing "Jake-inator" Jake-built gyro- ARRIVED
- Bo C. (Bo Collins)- ARRIVED
- Terry E. (on RWF??) bringing Red Cavalon
- Scott E.
(scottessex) bringing award winning Dominator- ARRIVED
- Steve M. (Steve McGowan) either bringing BLACK or FLYING-IN Sparrowhawk- ARRIVED
- Liviu M. (on RWF??) FLYING-IN Cicare CH-7 Helicopter
- Phil R. (Phil Ruffin)- ARRIVED
- Paul V. (Autotic)
- Kurt C. (Rogue)
- Gary W. (Gary W.)
- Wayne P. (on RWF??)
- Gerg M. (NoWingsAttached)
- Harold P. (Scagmo)
- Martin M. (on RWF??)
- Kevin K. (bebop)

CAROLINA
- Barry K. (ultracruiser41) FLYING-IN Cavalon AND bringing Tandem Snowbird, and JET Gyro- ARRIVED
- Scott W. (AirScooter) bringing Tandem Dominator- ARRIVED
- Rodney S. (Boots) bringing GyroBee - ARRIVED
- Steve W. (MyTech) bringing Tandem Snowbird - ARRIVED
- Patrice B. (doctorb5) bringing low-rider Air Command- ARRIVED
- Chris B. (cmb)
- Fred O. (not on RWF) bringing 'Chris-built' award winning Yeller Ultrawhite Dominator
- Wayne M. (Cap'n Gator) bringing Dominator
- Jonathan W. (automan1223) bringing Mad Max-like Tandem
- Sid M. (on RWF???) bringing AR-1
- Barry T. (on RWF???) bringing Dominator or Rocket (stunt plane)
- David P. (on RWF???) bringing Cessna
- Randy P. (on RWF???) bringing Vans RV-6
- Chuck (on RWF???)

FLORIDA
- Joe P. (Joe Pires) FLYING-IN Red Tandem Aviomania
- Jeff W. (on RWF??) FLYING-IN MTO
- Greg S. (greg spicola) FLYING-IN AR-1
- Richard C. (on RWF??) FLYING-IN AR-1
- Danny K. (not on RWF) FLYING-IN Titanium Explorer (?maybe?)
- Dan S. (on RWF??) FLYING-IN Piper Cub
- Jay B. (on RWF??) FLYING-IN Aircam
- Ed L. (Edypaul) FLYING-IN Piper Cherokee(?maybe?)
- Nick C. (on RWF??) FLYING-IN Aeropract
- Stott L. (on RWF??) FLYING-IN Cessna 182aIt
- Jeff H. (Loftus) FLYING-IN Aircam (?maybe?)
- Gabor K. (Choppergabor)
- Rocky (on RWF??) (?maybe?)
- Ernie B. (Ernie_B)
- Mike B. (MikeBoyette)

TENNESSEE
- David M. (Gyro28866) bringing Signal Orange Dominator
- George W. (george w) is he bringing the HoneyBee
- Wayne H. (WHUBBS) FLYING-IN immaculate, meticulously crafted Magni
- Dewey Y. (??? on RWF) Bringing modified Bensen

MICHIGAN
- Kevin K. (krop8913) - ARRIVED

OHIO
- Wayne K. (not on RWF) - ARRIVED

M

Last edited:
As NetPilot indicated "The main date for the Wrens Fall Fly-in is Saturday, September 15, 2018."but "You can come Thursday, Friday, September 13-14 or even earlier." Very often participants come in as early as Monday of the fly-in week -- see any current and old forum links to the past 10+ years. Those are not advertised dates for all the gyro and non-gyro people, the people just come early. The official date of the fly-in is September 15 -- that Saturday date is mainly advertised for the fixed wing people who usually come for just one day or for those who want to pick just one day to come.
John

Hi JC,

I think now is an appropriate time to thank you for all the effort you have poured into the Wrens Fly-ins over all the last 10 years. Wrens 2008 was the beginning of my gyro addiction and my first time to actually see a gyro in person... and you were there to greet me... clipboard in hand and with wealth of knowledge at the ready, and on a hair-trigger. LOL :smile:

If those Fly-ins were going to happen, someone had to do the leg-work, and you were there to fill that role each year. Thank you for all the hard work!

I spoke to Nandi and he confirmed that what you said last year... that you have retired from that role, and are turning over hosting duties to Nandi and team. Rest assured we (especially any early-birds) will do what we can to help them set-up... and tear down.

Do you think we will see you as a visitor this year?

M

NetPilot;n1137574 said:
Hi JC,

I think now is an appropriate time to thank you for all the effort you have poured into the Wrens Fly-ins over all the last 10 years. Wrens 2008 was the beginning of my gyro addiction and my first time to actually see a gyro in person... and you were there to greet me... clipboard in hand and with wealth of knowledge at the ready, and on a hair-trigger. LOL :smile:

If those Fly-ins were going to happen, someone had to do the leg-work, and you were there to fill that role each year. Thank you for all the hard work!

I spoke to Nandi and he confirmed that what you said last year... that you have retired from that role, and are turning over hosting duties to Nandi and team. Rest assured we (especially any early-birds) will do what we can to help them set-up... and tear down.

Do you think we will see you as a visitor this year?

M

Thanks, NetPilot!

However, I told the EAA 172 group that the one thing I will still do is put up and take down the tents and provide for the water and power. Any help on that would be appreciated.
John

PRA will send out another bath email invitation tonight.

I will at least be there for a while on Friday afternoon.

Alex Vagner, perhaps Jon Carleton, Kurt Carlsen with his Air Command, Terryfrom North Georgia with his Cavalon and I all had been planning to fly in from Cedartown. I am a definite for the flight along with Alex. Not sure about the others.

Got sidetracked over the weekend, but added a few more folks to the tally, and have even more changes to add soon. Just got to sort through all the texts!

Gonna be a great Wrens!

Not sure if it is true, but I heard one of our founding fathers and his son, Mike, might be coming.

Ha ha. Cool. I believe the last time E.B. came to Wrens was 2008... my very first year. I asked him in one or two subsequent years if he could pay us a visit, but no luck those years. It would be great to have the whole family pay us a another visit! ...and maybe Dick and Carol too? How cool would that be? :welcome:

Will they be flying up with Scott L., maybe??

Last edited:
NetPilot;n1137762 said:
Ha ha. Cool. I believe the last time E.B. came to Wrens was 2008... my very first year. I asked him in one or two subsequent years if he could pay us a visit, but no luck those years. It would be great to have the whole family pay us a another visit! ...and maybe Dick and Carol too? How cool would that be? :welcome:

Will they be flying up with Scott L., maybe??

Driving I think.

Dang....Florida may end up out numbering us Carolina guys. We better step it up. Come on Carolina guys, we cannot let that happen. Wrens! Wrens! Wrens!

Mark, it was pointed out to me this afternoon that I had left Chuck off our list. Please add him if you get a chance.

Last edited:
Humm
That Georgia list is looking longer to me .. You wouldn't be Stretching a bit would you ....:boink: :biggrin:

Well...I straddle lines, with owned homesteads in Michigan and Geo-giahh, and mah O-fishial current mailin' a-adre-as a bein' heeya in Sath Ca-olinah, ya'll. Mebbe ah should strike off from GA and add in as Carolina, hey? hmmm. If'n FLA is gonna overtake Carolinas, I will definitely jump ship from GA to Carolina for the final count. Florida, lessee what you got!

I'd better pay Barry mah Barnstormer doos soon as I get there, just to make sure it is all legal n such.

The Carolina Barnstormers are all over the place and hard to keep up with so don't be surprised at our final numbers at Wrens !! :lol::lol:

NoWingsAttached;n1137818 said:
I'd better pay Barry mah Barnstormer doos soon as I get there, just to make sure it is all legal n such.

So you are not the Barnstormer's Treasurer like you are for the Peach State Club? I think being on the board in Georgia trumps residency!

“Treasurer......we don’t need no stinking treasurer”
No $$ to count with the Barnstormers....we’re all broke!!!