Ken Brock Freedom Fly-In

GyroPro

SoCal Flyer
Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex N739B
Total Flight Time
The Ken Brock Freedom Fly-In is held each year, at the end of September, at El Mirage Dry lake, El Mirage, CA. Chapter One has been working to make this one of the best Rotorcraft Events on the West Coast for over 50 years. And each year, we invite back old friends, and meet new ones, to experience the wonder and joy of rotorcraft flight.

September 21 - 24

​​​​Schedule

http://kbffi.com/Flyer-Schedule/2017-KBFFI-Schedule-of-Events.pdf

Flyer

http://www.kbffi.com/Flyer-Schedule/KBFFI-2017-Flyer.pdf

Attachments

• photo128283.jpg
    photo128283.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo128284.jpg
    photo128284.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi Dave, dam you just beat me to starting a thread, so I guess we will go with this on. It should be a great flyinn, the lake is in descent shape, at least in gyro cove, and we are hoping for a good turnout. Most of the same ol same ol will happen again this year but I am planning on some new things happening this year also, so come on out and join the fun and freedom we have.

I read Chris T. (Titanium Explorer) and Britta P. (MTO) are planning on flying their respective two-place gyroplanes from San Manuel, AZ. to the KBFFI @ El Mirage dry lake bed. Looks to be approximately 500 miles.

If Paul from the SF Bay area (Magni) and Vance (Predator), and those two ladies do so, then it ought to be quite something to see, and be a recent record for the number of those flying far distances into the KBFFI...

Hoping some CFI's are interested in doing some training with student pilots this year.

GyroPro;n1124182 said:
Hoping some CFI's are interested in doing some training with student pilots this year.

I hope to be there David.

I won’t be doing any training in The Predator.

In my opinion it is not practical to get meaningful training at an event and it just raises the cost of training to have multiple instructors at multiple locations. The requirements for solo start over with each new instructor. I cannot recommend someone for their practical test without verifying that the can do all the things required. I can’t even extend a 90 day solo that is from another instructor without doing extensive testing.

At Santa Maria I have my practice areas worked out and have the facilities to do the ground training that needs to go with the flight training. I know where to look for traffic and I have a good relationship with ATC. Fuel is not an issue and I have the tools and parts to service The Predator.

I just spent four days with Yukon John and we are most of the way to his solo and half way to his proficiency check ride. He is getting good at radio calls. We practiced slow flight with turns, climbs and descents, ground reference maneuvers, recognition and recovery from slow airspeed and high rate of descent; all to practical test standards. He knows how to use pilotage and he can fly a straight course. He is able to takeoff, fly the pattern and land without my assistance. His grand finale on day four was with wind at 300 at 11kts cross wind landing on the narrower runway 02 and it was a thing of beauty; dead center and smooth as could be. I could not have done this in four days at El Mirage. John will be at El Mirage.

Other instructors may feel differently about training at El Mirage so don’t give up hope David.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Hi, Vance. It seems, after a thousand years, the apprentice/journeyman method of teaching is still the most effective. I salute your wisdom, and hope to find a master as good as you when I'm ready to restart my flying days.

No Title

Thank you for the kind words Frank.

My most valuable asset as a flight instructor is the people who generously mentor me.

I have one friend who is 87 and he has been a flight instructor for more than 60 years.

I learn from every client and every flight.

One of the most challenging things is to communicate that it is ok to screw up and I am there to fix it and see we don't get hurt.

It has been my observation that people expect when their mind understands what to do that there body will respond correctly. When learning to fly I see a conflict between what people know and what feels right.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

Attachments

• photo128286.jpg
    photo128286.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi Vance,

Sound advice for those that are ready to get their pilot's license completed and not waste time or money in the process. I look forward to seeing you at the KBFFI.

I have another line of thought about providing hours during the Fly-In though. I understand this is through the singular lens of my personal journey to becoming a gyro pilot.

I am very thankful for the opportunity and have enjoyed getting training from multiple CFI at the KBFFI. On my path to becoming a pilot, it has allowed me an unique experience to fly multiple gyros and learn how different instructors go about the process of teaching new pilots, all from one location, relatively close to home, on a weekend. Although these hours may not shorten my pilot's training, they have served invaluable in my process of deciding whether I should pursue becoming a gyro pilot and buy a gyro.

If possible, I would recommend CFI and dealers to continue to provide some instruction time available during fly-ins for new pilots, new aircraft buyers and the newbies who won't know if they should or can become pilots without some airtime in their area. I can only believe this service at fly-ins helps to produce new members to the gyro community and produce new potential clients for our dealers as well.

Last edited:
Less than 2 weeks, not much talk about it

It was the same with ROTR, Dave. I don't know what happened this year. It seems the excitement just isn't really there when it comes to the events. :noidea:
I'm planning to be there Wednesday. Curt Pittman plans to be there Wednesday. Christine Toevs should have arrived in San Manuel today. Her and Britta plan to fly up from there on Tuesday, I believe. Talked to Kevin Richey yesterday. He's planning to be there Monday or Tuesday (or something).
Hope the lake is in good condition and the weather is kind to us for the event. See you soon.

[FONT=trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif]Already solved...
[/FONT]

The lake is looking good and there is no forecast for the r word, so we can hope.

Ya know a subway sounds good Kevin, just not sure there is a subway anyone can land at to pic it up, I'll do a search.

I hope to be there Tuesday

Dave, I am super jazzed to attend this year with a gyro in tow, even if I can't fly it yet. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

No Title

Screen shot of the weather prediction for next week. Come on out!

Attachments

• photo128439.png
    photo128439.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 1
No Title

El Mirage is a special place and the Ken Brock Freedom Fly In is a special event.

I am performing some maintenance on The Predator today getting her ready for the 500 mile adventure.

We just finished her 100 hour service.

I look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

Ed has Jury Duty so I will be solo and bumming rides to and from the motel in Adelanto.

If anyone wants to share a room I am game. Bring earplugs because I snore loudly.

I hope to leave Thursday September 21 as soon as the fog lifts from the Santa Maria Public Airport.

Depending on the weather I may go by way of the Taft/Kern County Airport to General William J Fox Airfield or Santa Paula to Agua Dulce if it is nice along the coast.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Attachments

• photo128440.jpg
    photo128440.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
That sounds great David, your getting closer

The weather is looking good 70's and 80's low in the 50's, It just don't get much better than that

Well I guess it is time to reappear at KBFF this year. Hope to fly out in the helicopter Friday and/or Saturday and say hi to everyone. The combination of jet fuel, doing some practice shooting, steak dinner, setting a new land speed record on a dirt bike (personal record is 115MPH at El Mirage)and watching flying lawn chairs having way more fun (than should be legal) is too hard to miss. For once, not buried in work projects. No more taking apart and building A-320's, so looking forward to getting sunburned with the rest of you.

Vance said " Just finished her hundred mile service", .........do you mean a hundred hour service?

The only two things I ever owned that needed a regular 100 mile service was a Harley(I could not resist) and a FIAT.

Last edited: