Wrens Fall Fly-in Forum visibility

Txgyropilot

Tom Duncan
Aircraft
Aviomania G2sB Genesis Duo
Total Flight Time
170 Ultralight FW, 500 Gyro, 15 GA
It is frustrating to navigate the new forum. A new user would not see updates to existing threads like the one below simply by looking at the latest tab. The old RWF was much easier to navigate and see the latest comments on posts like the one below up front in the latest activity. Even an existing user like myself that is subscribed to the event has to search the thread to figure out what is being posted/edited.:frown:

Many folks seem to agree that the previous format that showed a list of 'recently updated' threads, was more intuitive.

I have noticed (and used) the "Posts Since Last Visit" tab on the sub-list under "FORUMS" but it shows the posts themselves (not the threads necessarily) and doesn't always seem to be complete.

There is also the "Latest Activity" tab on the Home page that may be useful but I have not figured it out yet.

I also noticed that if you actually drill-down into a forum 'discussion category' like "Events" each thread shows a small round blue button in front of every thread that will "go to the first new post" That seems to be very useful, but I have only seen it when drilling down into specific discussion categories.

Maybe if that "go to first new post" button was shown on a list of most recently updated threads, that would be the kind of functionality a lot of folks are looking for?

Just curious - has anyone felt like they have mastered the new format and finding stuff is as easy as before? Any tips or tricks would be very much appreciated!

Or, maybe we are just a bunch of old dogs resisting learning new tricks? LOL :smile:

I will say I do not like the move that has come with making everything 'mobile' where many functions are hidden under unnamed icons. Not just here, but everywhere. (like the go to first new post icon) But, I do understand why the industry is going that way. Don't have to like it tho. I'll just be an old dog in that regard.

Have to say that I appreciate the effort that Todd and the other Administrators are doing to keep the site up, running, and safe from hacking. Thanks guys.

M

I'm pretty comfortable with navigating the forum these days.

I mainly use two URL links, one posted my Mike and one posted by me, you can have a look at this thread too.

https://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/ge...-forum-upgrade

Mike's URL searches the Forum for threads updated since your "last visit" and is the one I use the most, my URL will return results regardless of your last visit and can be useful for finding threads in order of update but not updated since your last visit. Both have value and can be bookmarked into your browser.

In addition to clicking the main link to a thread which will take you to the first post of the thread there are two little blue buttons that show for each thread in the search results which are also useful, one will go to the "First New Post" (since your last visit) and the other will "Go To Last Post" of the entire thread, no matter how many pages it may be. Makes for getting to where you need in the thread fairly easy.

Google has also gotten better at finding the correct page URL's to searches of the forum so finding old information has greatly improved.

For me one major frustration remains, pictures in old threads don't show their thumbnails anymore, just links. It's very annoying when you are viewing an old build thread with lots of posted pictures only to have links and no thumbnails.

Back to topic.........
The Carolina Barnstormers Godfather says you all better make it to Wrens.....or else!!
image.jpeg

ultracruiser41;n1123682 said:
Back to topic.........
The Carolina Barnstormers Godfather says you all better make it to Wrens.....or else!!

Hey Barry, wrong thread... :eek: LOL. Get on over to the "Challenge" thread dude!

Back to topic of this one...

Alan - Thanks SO MUCH for pointing out your URL for use in addition to Mile's. That looks very helpful as well. Will try it out soon. With these 'hacks' the forum is a LOT more functional. I still hope that the admins can find a way to adjust or re-program that functionality back into the site itself so the hack's are not necessary. I fear that unfortunately only 'die hards' will take the time to use the hacks.

Speaking of which... I am probably totally imaging this, but I feel like the old-style 'most recently updated' listing came up when I first logged into the site a little while ago, WITHOUT me having to use the Mike-URL-hack! If that is true, it is awesome! Keeping my fingers crossed...