Wrens CHALLENGE 2017 - Sep 15-17 - GA AND Carolina vs. the WORLD!!

Hey Mark,

Gary N. from SC will be bringing a gyro, not sure which one.

David P from NC coming, FW..... Allen M from NC coming FW.........Barry T from NC coming FW.......StarBee folks from SC coming FW.....David G coming from NC FW......Brian B from SC coming.......Phil R from GA coming....etc.etec.etc.
The whole dang gang is comin!!!!

JasonS;n1124322 said:
What about IRMA?

Praying that it veers to the east and misses Florida, etc. Per the weather channel it is not going to stall like Harvey and will begin moving North and or East after getting near the Keys. If it does impact Georgia, it should be past Wrens by the 15th.

Looks like Peach State member Lewis G. (and the model for our club logo) will be bringing his "Edge" Mac Bensen to Wrens (ROC) for the first time since 2003!

Below is a picture Lewis (red hat) at Aiken/ROC in that year.

Thanks Barry - I've updated the tally with those Carolina folks. What about Dan McC? I haven't been able to reach him...

Here's the updated tally: https://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/ge...58#post1123058

Barney - It is the 'other' Louis... Louis H. who has the Scorpion helicopter... he told me this weekend it is for sale. He'll be there.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/peachstaterotorcraft.org\/sites\/default\/files\/pix04_lewis_gulley_ROC2003.jpg"}[/IMG2]

NetPilot;n1124353} Louis H. who has the Scorpion helicopter... he told me this weekend it is for sale. [/QUOTE said:
I'm not really in the market for another project. But on the other hand I do find it difficult to turn down a really good deal. I hope he has it at the meet.

Unfortunately my daughter totaled my F-250, that normally tows my trailer/hanger, Tuesday night in the rain by running into a tree just off the shoulder of the road (she was not injured).

I am determined to get to Wrens with my Gyro, so with the current 10 day forecast, it looks feasible to fly from our club at Polk County Airport-Cornelius Moore Field 4A4 to Wrens. I will need to fly around the north side of Atlanta to Barrow County KWDR for a fuel stop then on to Wrens 65J. The current forecast for next Thursday is calling for WSW winds, so it should not be an issue. I can carry 14 gallons of fuel, so at 5.5 gallons per hour, I will only burn about 8 gallons on the longest leg providing a good buffer should I have a head wind. For the return flight on Sunday the winds will be light and out of the North, so it may take a bit longer to get back.

From WDR it is another hour and a half or so flight on to Wrens. Truck vs. tree.jpgWrens Cross Country.JPG

Last edited:
WOW! That was as solid a smack as you described it on the phone. Again... really glad she is OK. Thank goodness for airbags and other modern safety features.

Like you said, the weather is looking great! Lots of sun, moderate wind, nice temps. See below.

Albeit, there will be near 70mph winds and 100% chance of rain on MONDAY, but LONG GONE by the time we get there!

Woo HOO!

Forecast9-8-17.jpg

Folks,

John P. (jpipe) took his gyro to the Wayne County Car Show earlier this Summer and entered it into the "Special Interest" category. He WON! Albeit, he was the only entry in that category, but jus' sayiin'

John will be at Wrens with the VanCraft! See you all there.
J_Pipe_carshowIMG_2342%5B1%5D-1024x768.jpg

Attachments

• Jpipe_awardIMG_0213-small.jpg
    Jpipe_awardIMG_0213-small.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
So I am supposed to be helping my stepdaughter and her hubby move from Wake Forrest to Greensboro this next weekend. But today I was given "permission" to be gone Friday and part of Saturday, which means I can come to Wrens after all, if only for a day or so. Unfortunately, I will not be bringing my single place Dominator, since I cannot stay long. But I am very excited to get a chance to come down and meet some of the people who have been so helpful to me on this forum, and check out their wonderful flying machines! And maybe bum a ride or two! Can't wait!

I am hoping to bring my Dominator down and fly with everyone at Barry's fly-in later this Fall.

Russ

Hey Russ. Awesome! Glad you can make it!

Weather-lady Joeann Feldman on Fox 5 Atlanta said just this morning that it is going to be a "Very Pleasant" weekend weather-wise! :whoo:

Will see you and your Dominator at Barry's. Trell will be really excited you are bringing it. He wants to see MORE DOMINATORS at the events!

Mark

I am still planning on flying there Thursday morning. The forecast looks good to me!!

NetPilot;n1124525 said:
Hey Russ. Awesome! Glad you can make it!

Weather-lady Joeann Feldman on Fox 5 Atlanta said just this morning that it is going to be a "Very Pleasant" weekend weather-wise! :whoo:

Will see you and your Dominator at Barry's. Trell will be really excited you are bringing it. He wants to see MORE DOMINATORS at the events!

Mark

Thanks Mark. Interesting you should comment on the lack of more Dominators at this year's event. There do appear to have been more in the past. Just coincidence?

Also, I notice there do not appear to be any Sportcopters in attendance this year. I would love to see one of these interesting gyros in person and watch it fly. They are intriguing machines, if a bit pricey. And BTW, has anyone other than Jim Vanek ever looped one?

Russ

Wrens....Wrens....Wrens....Wrens....Wrens....Wrens....Wrens....Wrens!!!!

I just spoke with John Mangum, he confirmed that the event is definitely on. I am flying there in the morning, look forward to seeing everyone there!!!

Hey Guys,

I just had to cancel my room at the Western Hotel in Wrens due to a family issue. Not sure if anyone had difficulty getting a room but I know there's at least one room available for the next 3 days.

Might be able to make it down for part of the day on Saturday.

Ya'll have fun, It looks like the Weather is gonna be Great!

Chris Buchanan

Chris - Thank you for chiming in. Hope your family issue is OK, and definitely hope to see you on Saturday! Is Fred gonna be there? Ya'll bringing the Dom to Barry's in Nov?

Tom - OF COURSE Wrens is still on! Wrens has happened RAIN or SHINE since 2007! And ROC before that!, and Barnwell before that! Wrens is A THANG that can't be stopped!

Russ - On the Dominator thing, it appears to me that Bensen Days turned into 'Dominator Days' not too long after the Dominator was introduced. This was due to the safety innovations that Ernie, Chuck, and Dick D. designed into this ground-breaking design. Wrens/ROC saw a similar effect, but maybe not quite as pronounced... makes sense because Wimauma (Ernie's base) is just down the road from Wauchula. But, since then, the CLT and/or Horiz Stabilizer 'push' has made it's way into many other new and existing designs. So, in effect, more stable/safe choices became available and/or were incorporated/noticed/adopted So... more variety at the air shows..

So far, I am not aware of a Sport Copter at Wrens/ROC. There is at least one in Georgia, but it is wayyyy down South, and the owner has never made it to Wrens. There are typically at least 3 at Bensen Days. Hope to see you THERE in April! Oh... and... I don't think anyone other than Jim Vanek has the 'oo' to loop a gyro.

Just my .02 $ on ALL that. I welcome others to set me straight. That will just add to more posts on this thread. LOL!

Last edited: