Forum failure

Jean Claude

Aircraft
I piloted gliders C800, Bijave, C 310, airplanes Piper J3 , PA 28, Jodel D117, DR 220, Cessna 150, C
Total Flight Time
About 500 h (FW + ultra light)
Strange functioning

Messages appearing in "messages since your last visit" are invisible in the direct title search

This may be the reason for the sudden drop in activity in the forum?

It's been ongoing failure for 3 weeks now. Admin has been silent / absent. I can't speculate, but that's the current reality.

Site is a disaster now error mesages every wherescrol to bottom of any page & so slow people ckick messages 2\ 3 times because they think it has not gone :violin:Thought it was bad with last update when it lost my origional name, only just started looking again, Sad it was a realy dynamic site

Site is a disaster now error mesages every wherescrol to bottom of any page & so slow people ckick messages 2\ 3 times because they think it has not gone :violin:Thought it was bad with last update when it lost my origional name, only just started looking again, Sad it was a realy dynamic sitexcgh

I'm assuming RFW has been abandoned. I will have a new forum board set up this week on a paid server with good software. I will post the new site address when things are finalized, provided the RWF forum is even operational. In the mean time it might be a good idea to exchange contact info among ourselves in the event the RWF board goes dark for good. I'm hoping we can regroup on the new forum. I can be reached directly at [email protected]. Thanks.

I have found the Rotary Wing Forum to be the most helpful site for me to learn about gyroplanes because of the people here.

I am not ready to abandon the Rotary Wing Forum because of some technical challenges.

I own a software company and have developed proprietary software to run motorcycle stores so I have some experience and knowledge.

I am not a computer enthusiast and am not able to recognize progress so when things go badly I am not interested in the details of the battles to keep the software functioning.

I only hope that the magic of the site is not lost.

In my experience the solution is rarely simply and seldom makes sense to me.

It is my impression that this site is managed by some remarkable people who are not appropriately compensated for their efforts.

I am grateful to them and will support them any way I can.

I'm sorry to see all the problems with the forum. Since this forum is relational database-driven, it'll take a while to re-establish a valid set of SQL links, as well as clean up all the extra space used by corrupted relations. It probably isn't just a matter of restoring a corrupted drive, with an old backup. Gonna need a good DBA-proficient administrator, which we probably already have. Be patient, guys; we have decades worth of vital gyro information to restore.

I'm sorry to see all the problems with the forum. Since this forum is relational database-driven, it'll take a while to re-establish a valid set of SQL links, as well as clean up all the extra space used by corrupted relations. It probably isn't just a matter of restoring a corrupted drive, with an old backup. Gonna need a good DBA-proficient administrator, which we probably already have. Be patient, guys; we have decades worth of vital gyro information to restore.

Frank, yours is the first meaningful assessment of the situation I have heard from anyone in the nearly three weeks since these major errors became manifest. It's a lot easier to be patient when you have an inkling that something is actually being done. The only qualm I have from what you wrote is "which we probably already have". Any idea who that might be?

I'm sorry to see all the problems with the forum. Since this forum is relational database-driven, it'll take a while to re-establish a valid set of SQL links, as well as clean up all the extra space used by corrupted relations. It probably isn't just a matter of restoring a corrupted drive, with an old backup. Gonna need a good DBA-proficient administrator, which we probably already have. Be patient, guys; we have decades worth of vital gyro information to restore. Unload the database to a flat file on another computer; build a set of SQL queries to find where the corrupted relations start; then remove all those records. Finally recreate the SQL-Server database on a "clean" server, by installing a new vBulletin software set. vBulletin probably already has all this work done in-house, along with the set of commands needed.

I tried to reply to Vance three times now and can't post from a PC. So I'm trying my phone app. The condensed version of the message I have been trying to send is that I totally agree with Vance and others hear that nobody wants to give up on this site. But the reality is it's not useful and no sign of being fixed. So in the hope of staying in touch with everyone I secured a domain name, server space and I'm setting up a forum for us to use. I will post the web address when it is up and ready. I anticipate Monday morning. Hopefully This Thread will remain alive to post the link to.