Quicker Browsing!

Gman

Aircraft
SnoBird Tandem
The new site is coming along!
How hard would it be to put a "Today's Post" Box in? It's very time consuming looking at every topic to see if there has been a new post.

Thanks for listening, keep up the good work!

Thank you.

An easy workaround....

In The Blue Bar, Click NEW TOPICS.
It will return an error. That's OK!

Just below the Bue Bar, click ADVANCED SEARCH.
On the DATE RANGE line, click the TO: Calendar Icon.
Select any date. It doesn't matter!
Now click the Blue SEARCH NOW button in the upper right of the window.

You should get a list of all the recent Posts up until the date you selected.
So far so good.

NOW...
In the URL Address Bar at the top of your browser ( The one that begins with "https://www.rotaryforum.com/search"...") ...
Notice that about 75 characters into the line you will see ... %2F2017" ...
Change the year 2017 to 2019 or anything in the reasonable future then hit ENTER.

You will now see a list of the most recent post before late 2019.

Save this new page with this huge search URL as a Favorite/Bookmark. Name it "Rotary Forum"
Anytime to go to this Favorite/Bookmark you will see all the most recent posts.
Before the end of 2019, you will need to change the year again. Worry about that later.

How it works...
The search screen will not let you enter a future date, even manually.
but the date can be manually overridden in the address window and saved as a favorite
so you will not have the repeat the exercise for a couple of years.

These are the two most useful search URLs for the forum that I use, they can be edited into your Browser shortcuts for speedy searches of the forum.

The first searches for updates to threads SINCE your last visit and is used the most. The second will return the threads last updated DESPITE when your last visit was, it's useful for finding more recent but older threads you may want to revisit, threads that will not show up in the first URL search because the thread has not been recently posted to.

In your User Settings/Account set Display Mode to Posts.

Don't forget to try the two small blue buttons with the double arrows, they do different things but are useful for navigating a thread.

http://www.rotaryforum.com/search?searchJSON=%7B%22date%22%3A%22lastVisit%22%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22lastcontent%22%3A%22desc%22%7D%2C%22view%22%3A%22topic%22%2C%22exclude_type%22%3A%5B%22vBForum_PrivateMessage%22%5D%7D&btnSubmit=

https://www.rotaryforum.com/search?searchJSON=%7B%22date%22%3A%7B%22to%22%3A%2212%2F25%2F2037%22%7D%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22lastcontent%22%3A%22desc%22%7D%2C%22view%22%3A%22topic%22%2C%22exclude_type%22%3A%5B%22vBForum_PrivateMessage%22%5D%7D&btnSubmit=

It works, miracle, I actually did something on this infernal machine that works:biggrin:.
Thanks Alan

I view this Forum on the page that shows all the various Directorys and sub-folders.

I just use CONTROL + F ( ie press them together to trigger a "find" box ) - in the find box I enter "today" and hit search down - simple - it only stops at those directories or sub folders that have been update "today" - sometime I use "find" for "yesterday" if I've not been on for a while.

Easy.

Gman I totally agree with you i don't necessarily want to see a single subject but scan through new posts to see anything of interest, Work around, pressing this button then searching is a long winded method for a simple fix.
looking at posts since last visit is sort of OK but there is to much information a simple list (new posts) is easier\quicker to scan,
PS
My original name still lets me log on but there is no post or post reply button, Also admin has never replied to any contact I have tried to make.

I have bee a member since 2008 as well, & think I had 2\3 stars
I tried to edit last post & got this.
HTTP 200 - SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data
He ho will come some time & see if the site has been returned to what it was simple, clean, Intuitive
Get this now as well
empty_response.
Logged out then back on to post why do I bother