Possible workaround for the New Topics button

gyromike

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Bensen B8MG
Currently, the New Topics button is not working correctly.
The search criteria is not restrictive enough, but I may have a temporary solution.
This should return a list of threads with the latest unread posts, just like the previous version of the Forum.

*** Open the Forum in a second window or tab, so you can bounce back and forth to follow the directions. ***

First, click on the New Topics button:

001.jpg

When you get to the next screen, click the Advanced Search button:

002.jpg

On the next screen, check the box that says Last Visit , and click Search Now:

003.jpg

You should now see the Search page showing a list of all of the Topics that have been updated since your last visit, just like the old days:

004.jpg

You can now save this page as a new link in your favorites, or you can do like I did and modify your existing link.
Here's how to modify your existing link:

Highlight and Copy the address in the browsers address bar:

005.jpg

In your favorites bar or menu, right-click on the link to the Forum, click Properties, and paste the URL you copied into the location field:

006.jpg

Now, when you open the Forum, all you have to do is click the little blue icon next to the topic you wish to read and it will take you to the latest unread post in that topic.

007.jpg

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Too complicated...
I prefer to click 'Home', and then 'Latest Activity'. It's not the same, but with the modest traffic we have lately, the difference is not important...

That is a BIG HELP, Mike!
Now to figure out how Aussie_Paul was able to post larger photos in his (A Few Days Ago thread), compared to what the rest of us have posted (little photos).

XXavier;n1119033 said:
Too complicated...
I prefer to click 'Home', and then 'Latest Activity'. It's not the same, but with the modest traffic we have lately, the difference is not important...

It IS more complicated, but it throws out a list of updated topics like the "New Posts" button did on the old version.
I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to have to sift through each individual new post, some of which are on topics I'm not interested in.
I prefer to see a list of new topics, then I can select which topic I want to read through.

Hopefully we can get the "New Topics" button fixed soon.

Kevin_Richey;n1119034 said:
That is a BIG HELP, Mike!
Now to figure out how Aussie_Paul was able to post larger photos in his (A Few Days Ago thread), compared to what the rest of us have posted (little photos).

Kevin,

I am still trying to learn this new system. Jake and I were on the phone this morning trying out different methods, also seeing if different browsers and operating systems make a difference.
I am about to try uploading a couple of Jakes pictures from a different computer, in the Posting Pictures thread.

gyromike;n1119035 said:
It IS more complicated, but it throws out a list of updated topics like the "New Posts" button did on the old version.
I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to have to sift through each individual new post, some of which are on topics I'm not interested in.
I prefer to see a list of new topics, then I can select which topic I want to read through.

Hopefully we can get the "New Topics" button fixed soon.

True... It's easy and works well... Not 'complicated', as I thought at first...

Thanks!

Works for me too. Thankx Mike.....it was getting tiresome sifting.

So, can anyone tell me what the white bars under the avatar that turn red mean and what they are for?

gyrojake;n1130570 said:
So, can anyone tell me what the white bars under the avatar that turn red mean and what they are for?

And the same question for the stars...

Tyger;n1136416 said:
And the same question for the stars...

I found out that the white bars turn red with post likes from readers and the stars are the relevance of your posts.
It's hard to get more than 4 stars unless you pay for a subscription.
I've never paid for a subscription but always gave a percentage of any Item I've sold through the forum as a donation, which does not influence the stars