Gyro-Tec carbon Blades 100 Hrs Follow Up.

Tapes do degrade performance 1\3% we have found even the nickle sacrificial strips on the helicopter blades if the trailing edge is not fared it makes a difference
3m make blade tape in different thicknesses it has a SHELF LIFE beware
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3
There is a Robinson tape that is supposed to withstand Rain etc. dont know anything about it who makes it ? rain will beat tapes to death
http://www.airwolfaerospace.com/awa/products/stc-products-robinson-helicopters

Last edited:
Brian Jackson has more info on "Gyro-Tech dealer and modified blades" its a post that he started.

I have replaced my Gen1 blades om my MTO Sport with Gyrotech blades, hub bar and head. Done about 15 hrs on them. My experience to now is as follows. Heavier to handle on the ground. No difference in flight. Climbs a lot better. Landings are easier because they hold their energy longer. Takeoff roll seems a little longer when two up. Able to do same air speed. More stable in thermic and windy conditions.

Have some stick shake issues but I am confident we will sort them out. Changing rod end bearings on the control arms and then will start making adjustments.

Did some cordwise adjustment thisafternoon. Almost 100%. Very pleased

Replaced my rod end bearings and did some more
​​​cordwise adjustment.

Have just abourt zero stick shake. Now feeling a little bit of cabin hop in my back side. As it gets better i am more an more impressed with the blades. Find myself getting very close to VNE whilst flying in smooth air. Will check the tracking again later this month and maybe add a shim if i see something.

Off to Thailand will be back on the 19th

I’m thinking of ordering some Gyro-Tech 8.6 blades for my MTO instead of the gen 2 Autogyro upgrade .
Apparently there are some 26 sets on MTO’s .
Is this the better choice?

I have a set of 8.4 meter. Same size as the original. Fits perfectly.

RPM's where they should be, around 350. 420 is max...

And I have the old type1 teeter tower, which is lower than type2.
I made some taller stop blocks. Had I had a type2 teeter tower,
then I would have had to buy Gyro-Tech's own teeter tower.

BTW., my Gyro-Tech rotor is also 100 hours old...

And I was properly advised to have the standard length of 8.4 meter, as I fly low.
Someone named Martin Koller in Austria flies in the thin air of the alps with a set of 8.5 meter.
So I'm sure that 8.6 meter is not a good idea, unless you fly off a mountaintop.

Last edited:
I have a set of 8.4 meter. Same size as the original. Fits perfectly.

RPM's where they should be, about 350-360. 420 is max...

And I have the old type1 teeter tower, which is lower than type2.
I made some taller stop blocks. Had I had a type2 teeter tower,
then I would have had to buy Gyro-Tech's own teeter tower.

BTW., my Gyro-Tech rotor is also 100 hours old...
So they fit straight into
Thanks for that
So do they fit in the type 1 tower without shims?

Remember, you have to make taller stop blocks.
When I bought the rotor, +- 8 degrees was mentioned.
Later +- 6 degrees was mentioned.......

So I take it, you have a MT-03 or a very early MTO Sport?
I calculated 8 degrees, as it was written.
I may insert a shim under the blocks to get below 8 degrees.
I'll measure, when I see my gyro again. Height and angle.
It's been hangared for the winter, but I have to turn the engine once in a while.

Perfect thankyou
Mine was an early mto 3 frame replacement MtoSport around 2011 due to roll over
Sold to me as rotor 2 and it’s not!
Familiar with magni, rosco, but got burn with this one
Made the classic mistake of buying before flying as it had sat for a while.
slowly sorting out the machine as it’s flying like a dog.
Not a fan of the autogyro set up and the gyro-tech blades sure look the part.

Turns out GT will supply the stops to suit 👌

Last edited:
Mine is a 2007 MT-03 that was upgraded to MTO Sport by AG people. Came with Type1 rotor and head.
And it has the 914 engine!
Someone damaged a blade and as an engineer I didn't like the AG way of clamping the blade anyway.
The propeller had delaminated one blade, so i bought a cheap Ukrainian Aero Prop instead.
The 25 kHz radio was outdated, so another expense. The best helmet I could find also (Flycom - expensive).
Plus bits and bobs adding up...
But remember - you have the old, large prerotation gear - the new ones break teeth. At least that's a good thing.

Edit: Break instead of breat....

Last edited:
Mine is a 2007 MT-03 that was upgraded to MTO Sport by AG people. Came with Type1 rotor and head.
And it has the 914 engine!
Someone damaged a blade and as an engineer I didn't like the AG way of clamping the blade anyway.
The propeller had delaminated one blade, so i bought a cheap Ukrainian Aero Prop instead.
The 25 kHz radio was outdated, so another expense. The best helmet I could find also (Flycom - expensive).
Plus bits and bobs adding up...
But remember - you have the old, large prerotation gear - the new ones breat teeth. At least that's a good thing.

"Breat teeth". What do you mean by that?