Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gyro-Tec carbon Blades 100 Hrs Follow Up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that info, Eddie. I also think that it's something wrong with this particular rotor set. I told owner to contact Gyrotech about this. Let's see what they reply.
    Alex Lameko
    Russian gyroforum
    Visit my collection of gyro videos

Comment

Originally posted by twistair View Post
      I recently met such Gyrotech rotor here in Moscow. Not flown it yet but was able to examine it and to cross-check blades CG. What surprised me very much is their paint - it is very very soft, even touching it by fingernail leaves the trace on blade surface. This should mean that regular cleaning of blades would destroy their finish very soon.

Hope to fly them soon. Local pilot who've already did that on an MTOsport told that they increase vibs significantly at speeds over 120 kmh. I'm curious to try them myself.
      Hello everybody! My name is Igor Maltcev, and I think I am the only pilot around Moscow flying mto-sport with gyro-tech blades (and like them a lot). I have about 20 hours on these blades and no sign of paint problems... The set is covered with epoxy based paint, like plastic/composite boats... Gelcoat... If you understand me.. I can not imagine how must blade look like if a touch of a finger lives marks... If you scrach it with a sharpened finger nail?)
      Aleksei, please tell to Volyrin or Vechtomov or directly to me, whom are you talking about?
      Last edited by Pirogoff; 07-05-2018, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the Info Igor,Yes the paint on the blades is like a epoxy coating very good. and durable.
        Best Regards,
        Eddie Sigman,Polvadera,nm
        (575) 835-4921

Comment

Since I am in preparation to order a set of blades and head from GyroTech, I'm curious how the price might be affected by US/Polish tariffs, etc. Wondering if it might be advantageous to order them sooner rather than later. Are these items affected by any new import laws?

Comment

Originally posted by Pirogoff View Post
            whom are you talking about?
            Welcome aboard on rotaryforum. This set is now in Voskresensk and wasn't flown here yet, I've just inspected it and made blades' CG crosscheck. During it we saw that blades' paint is apparently very soft. We informed Gyro-Tech about this and are waiting for their comments.
            Hopefully this rotor will be flown after July, 15th ;) on MTOsport in Voskresensk.

Alex Lameko
            Russian gyroforum

Comment

Brian I don't think
              he tariff stuff is in effect yet,David and I found out that you have to have a

broker here in this country to handle the release of the blades from customs,acquire one before the

blades are shipped as this will speed up the process.
              Best Regards,
              (575) 835-4921

Comment

Welcome aboard on rotaryforum. This set is now in Voskresensk and wasn't flown here yet, I've just inspected it and made blades' CG crosscheck. During it we saw that blades' paint is apparently very soft. We informed Gyro-Tech about this and are waiting for their comments.
                Hopefully this rotor will be flown after July, 15th ;) on MTOsport in Voskresensk.
                Hello! We have not received any complaint about the paint on our blades being very soft and especially about traces on blade surface caused by fingernails! If the case is true, can you please tell the owner of the blades to contact us again at contact@gyrotech.eu?

GYRO-TECH Team

Comment

I dont think the paint is overly soft, but it's not as tough as it could be. But keep in mind that these blades do flex a lot, so maybe it's softer to prevent cracking? Not sure.

I've got 25-30 hours on a set, but have yet to get them to a point where I'd recommend the change. Our issue has not been with quality, they are very nice blades, but the performance has been a problem for us so far.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Jason,I have been real pleased with the blades performance on my RAF,but maybe your gyro was already

at a higher level of performance than mine,so any improvement to mine has been really noticed..
                    Best Regards,
                    (575) 835-4921

Comment

Originally posted by GYRO-TECH View Post

Hello! We have not received any complaint about the paint on our blades being very soft and especially about traces on blade surface caused by fingernails! If the case is true, can you please tell the owner of the blades to contact us again at contact@gyrotech.eu?

GYRO-TECH Team
                      Good day,

Mr.Ruslan Ustinov is the owner of this rotor. He emailed you about this problem but I suppose he didn't explain the problem properly in English. I inspected this rotor myself and it is obviously that this particular set of blades has very soft surface. Possible cause looks to me like there was not enough hardener in the paint. Now we're thinking what can be done to fix this problem. Probably blades can be covered with polyurethane laquer?
                      Alex Lameko
                      Russian gyroforum

Comment

Good day,

Mr.Ruslan Ustinov is the owner of this rotor. He emailed you about this problem but I suppose he didn't explain the problem properly in English. I inspected this rotor myself and it is obviously that this particular set of blades has very soft surface. Possible cause looks to me like there was not enough hardener in the paint. Now we're thinking what can be done to fix this problem. Probably blades can be covered with polyurethane laquer?
                        We have finally explained the case. The blades do not belong to Ruslan, but to a different owner from Estonia and they were transported to Russia. But thatís not important.

The blades have a slight longitudinal abrasion caused by the user which has nothing in common with the quality of the paint. The paint on blades cannot be too hard and stiff because blades make a lot of movements in flight, they bend and twist and the paint would easily start cracking if it was too hard.

There might occur some minor damages on the leading edge caused by flying in a big rain or hail or dust etc. For customers who fly in such conditions, we offer a special leading edge protection system. You can read more information on our website www.gyotech.eu.

Comment

Hello Jason!

The leading edge protection tape is installed in a special pocket on the leading edge surface so that, after installation, it does not change the aerodynamic profile of the blade.
                          Therefore, we need to know about installation of the tape before starting the production process a blade in order to prepare the special pocket.
                          It is not possible to install the tape on a blade that does not have the special pocket, because this will disrupt the aerodynamic shape of the blade and will negatively affect its work.

Comment

Originally posted by GYRO-TECH View Post
                            It is not possible to install the tape on a blade that does not have the special pocket, because this will disrupt the aerodynamic shape of the blade and will negatively affect its work.
                            Have you tested the tape on a set of actual blades and noticed the performance degradation, the reason I'm asking is it was planned to add the tape to a set of blades we are now flying on an ELA?
                            Last edited by Alan_Cheatham; 07-24-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Alan, when I played with Rotorway helicopters they suffered much from abrasion on take-off, landing and hover. We used a 3M Prop Tape from Spruce which worked very well on helo rotors despite their tip speed is higher than in a gyro. I'm sure it should be good and safe for ELA rotors.
                              My question about Gyro-Tech paint hardness was since that set which I inspected has apparently softer paint than, say, finished SportCopter blades, ELA and RAF2000 which I have some experience with. I believe Gyro-Tech could simply tell us which hardness they count enough, say, according to ASTM standard. I recall Jim Vanek spent a lot of time before he decided his blades have good enough paint/protection. And they really have.

This is a tape from AircraftSpruce we used for Rotorway helos: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...mproptape2.php This time I fly mostly aluminium rotors which don't need additional protection but I instantly use such tapes to protect props - we all know that pusher props suffer much more from abrasion than tractor ones. These tapes apparently don't affect prop nor rotor efficiency.
                              Last edited by twistair; 07-24-2018, 08:55 AM.
                              Alex Lameko
                              Russian gyroforum

Comment

The reason for my question is that Gyro-Tech goes to the trouble to make a blade that has a recess in it's profile to compensate for the thickness of the leading edge tape, I want to know if tape applied to one of their standard blades will degrade it's performance. Although both the Gyro-Tech and the ELA blades use the some airfoil we have found some reduced performance in certain areas with the GT blades compared to the ELA and while we would like to install a leading edge tape a further performance hit would be undesirable.

Comment

Working...
                                X