Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragon wings are hitting my torque tube, why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by N447MR View Post

    Perfect, I'll give it a try and report back. I thought I read someone saying they just loosened the teeter tower bolts and slipped shims in. Also, as note for future readers, Mr. Boyette emailed me back and told me that there are no torque specs of any consequence for the teeter block bolts that hold the tower to the hub. Just tighten it up real well.



    Put ONE shim under the Right side of the teeter block and hub bar and didn't notice anything I could be sure about. Put a second shim in the Right side and at first didn't seem to notice much, but then realized over 50-60 mph indicated it felt really bumpy on the stick. Looking at the blades there was still definite separation (two lines).

    Took both shims out of the Right side and installed BOTH (two shims) on the Left side. Definitely noticed a smoothing and certainly was nicer over 60mph. Fairly certain that the separation of the two blades was less too. It was a nice night so I just flew around for 45 minutes at that point.

    After putting the Gyro away, I took One shim OUT so there is now ONE shim in the left side instead of two. I will see how that feels next time and either go to three or leave it. I'll let you know!

    How many shims would you all think it would normally take? How many is too many?
    Last edited by N447MR; 06-07-2018, 05:58 AM.
    Air Command CLT Tandem
    Subaru 2.2 FI- Stock
    68" Warp Drive
    29' Dragon Wings
    550#s Thrust

    Comment


    • #47
      The shims are placed where in the drawing you have the washer.
      NOTHING goes where you have 1 and 2 indicated.
      David McCutchen
      615-390-2228
      Bensen B7m, 90 hp Mac
      Dominator Tandem, 100 hp Hirth
      Kolb Mark III Classic, 80 hp Verner
      Certified - Advanced Master Beef Producer
      EAA Member #0511805
      PRA Member #28866
      PRA Chapter 16 Member
      Secretary & Treasure - PRA Chapter 16
      President / Sylvia - Yellow Creek Volunteer Fire Dept.
      Chairmen - Dickson County Veteran's Day Committee
      Volunteer - Dickson County Airport Aviation Day Committee
      2 busy 2 No!

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Gyro28866 View Post
        The shims are placed where in the drawing you have the washer.
        NOTHING goes where you have 1 and 2 indicated.
        Thanks for getting back. Between the washer and the hat then. Are they put on both sides equally?
        Air Command CLT Tandem
        Subaru 2.2 FI- Stock
        68" Warp Drive
        29' Dragon Wings
        550#s Thrust

        Comment


        • #49
          Thanks for getting back. Between the washer and the hat then. Are they put on both sides equally?
          Normally , YES.
          However, if you have a heavy blade and the the rotor is following it, the stick will move in a circular motion; and you are shimming to migrate the rotating mass to center.
          David McCutchen
          615-390-2228
          Bensen B7m, 90 hp Mac
          Dominator Tandem, 100 hp Hirth
          Kolb Mark III Classic, 80 hp Verner
          Certified - Advanced Master Beef Producer
          EAA Member #0511805
          PRA Member #28866
          PRA Chapter 16 Member
          Secretary & Treasure - PRA Chapter 16
          President / Sylvia - Yellow Creek Volunteer Fire Dept.
          Chairmen - Dickson County Veteran's Day Committee
          Volunteer - Dickson County Airport Aviation Day Committee
          2 busy 2 No!

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by N447MR View Post

            Put ONE shim under the Right side of the teeter block and hub bar and didn't notice anything I could be sure about. Put a second shim in the Right side and at first didn't seem to notice much, but then realized over 50-60 mph indicated it felt really bumpy on the stick. Looking at the blades there was still definite separation (two lines).

            Took both shims out of the Right side and installed BOTH (two shims) on the Left side. Definitely noticed a smoothing and certainly was nicer over 60mph. Fairly certain that the separation of the two blades was less too. It was a nice night so I just flew around for 45 minutes at that point.

            After putting the Gyro away, I took One shim OUT so there is now ONE shim in the left side instead of two. I will see how that feels next time and either go to three or leave it. I'll let you know!

            How many shims would you all think it would normally take? How many is too many?
            Flew it with ONE shim on the Left side, where I left off, and I couldn't say it was any better, maybe a bit worse? Then I added two back to have a total of THREE on the left side. I feel like it had a strange feel to it, and was probably a bit worse, but I couldn't pin point it. So I put a FOURTH one in there and put it away. Hopefully I'll fly it tomorrow. Four seems like a lot looking at it. We'll see.
            Air Command CLT Tandem
            Subaru 2.2 FI- Stock
            68" Warp Drive
            29' Dragon Wings
            550#s Thrust

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by N447MR View Post

              Flew it with ONE shim on the Left side, where I left off, and I couldn't say it was any better, maybe a bit worse? Then I added two back to have a total of THREE on the left side. I feel like it had a strange feel to it, and was probably a bit worse, but I couldn't pin point it. So I put a FOURTH one in there and put it away. Hopefully I'll fly it tomorrow. Four seems like a lot looking at it. We'll see.
              Flew it with ONE shim on the Left side, where I left off, and I couldn't say it was any better, maybe a bit worse? Then I added two back to have a total of THREE on the left side. I feel like it had a strange feel to it, and was probably a bit worse, but I couldn't pin point it. So I put a FOURTH one in there and put it away. Hopefully I'll fly it tomorrow. Four seems like a lot looking at it. We'll see.

              Flew it with FOUR shims expecting obviously worsening condition, but didn't. Was kind of indecisive really.
              Went back down to TWO shims expecting it to be obviously smoother, but is wasn't. Probably better than when I started...I think maybe; but I wouldn't bet much on it.
              So, I gave up. Four shims was visually alot. I figured if there wasn't a change there then FIVE was just being silly. YES, NO?

              Took some video today using the SLO MO on the iphone. Kinda worked out. I may make a new thread sumamrizing all your input just to make anyone searching this topic again easier.
              Video link here.
              https://youtu.be/U64oam8WTS0
               
              Air Command CLT Tandem
              Subaru 2.2 FI- Stock
              68" Warp Drive
              29' Dragon Wings
              550#s Thrust

              Comment


              • #52
                looks like it might benefit from making sure the blades are centered between the towers.

                A few thousands will make a lot of difference.
                Best Regards,
                Eddie Sigman,Polvadera,nm
                (575) 835-4921

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Gyro28866 View Post
                  Normally , YES.
                  However, if you have a heavy blade and the the rotor is following it, the stick will move in a circular motion; and you are shimming to migrate the rotating mass to center.
                  I think I get the centering idea. The hat bearing moves in and out of the tower a tad so when it’s all tightened up it can move as much as that.
                  I found a when I took the rotors off this time I found extra play in the left side bearing. The measurements of the hole in the tower seem off. 0.75” side to side 0.78” up and down. I took a video. What do you think?
                   
                  Air Command CLT Tandem
                  Subaru 2.2 FI- Stock
                  68" Warp Drive
                  29' Dragon Wings
                  550#s Thrust

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    I did not like what I saw. I am thinking this is not a RFD machined tower. Ernies towers have a roller bearing in them and the bushings are teetering in the roller bearings. If yours are just bushing to tower and they have wore the slop into it. That is likely the culprit for the odd stick shake. Instead of just flapping/teetering on a fixed position, it is also able to move out of center; and is flapping on a moving out of center position.
                    I am no expert, by any stretch. But my gut feeling is excessive wear in bushings and towers.
                    David McCutchen
                    615-390-2228
                    Bensen B7m, 90 hp Mac
                    Dominator Tandem, 100 hp Hirth
                    Kolb Mark III Classic, 80 hp Verner
                    Certified - Advanced Master Beef Producer
                    EAA Member #0511805
                    PRA Member #28866
                    PRA Chapter 16 Member
                    Secretary & Treasure - PRA Chapter 16
                    President / Sylvia - Yellow Creek Volunteer Fire Dept.
                    Chairmen - Dickson County Veteran's Day Committee
                    Volunteer - Dickson County Airport Aviation Day Committee
                    2 busy 2 No!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X