Rotor disk loading ?

I understand that, JC, but what is the pitching moment of a blade in reverse flow, if not a symmetrical airfoil? I also understand the retreating blade air velocity is very low.

Why do you mention the pitching moment on the retreating blade, Chuck?
With Mu = 1, air speed is maximum at the root and zero at the tip. So the blade twist is neglectible, right?

You’re right, JC, I Suppose the rotor would be stable without the tip weights.

I read or was told by Jay Carter that tip weights were ~50 lbs of depleted uranium. Uranium has about the same density as tungsten but is much easier to fabricate.

What do you think is the agility of this open frame gyro fitted with a Carter high inertia rotor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFNc1iY8wi0

In the USA you have rules that you need a special license to fly a jump gyroplane,
But .... for all I can read we have no such rule in Canada I could have a Experimental Gyroplane
with a Jump system on it and no need for a different license.

is it normal that the Carter Coppter makes me want Jump flying on my Juro? Muhahaha.
you guys know where I can buy a Jump gyro kit.
do you need different blades or with changing angles you can use any blade.
with jmp take off I could land and take off from my yard.
I saw the jump take off from Carter coppters 5 or 6 years ago and I wanted to buy one
but I soon learned good luck with that we don't sell anything I was like WTF.
so now i have a Bensen.

Now has this Jump coppter takes off anyone calculated the disk loading on it till it reaches its max altitude?
I'm sure this was built to handle the load but OMG! sitting in the seat how many G's is the man pulling?

Frank, you might not like a jump gyro: -it requires a helicopter type rotor head and rotor blades with heavy tip weights. Also, most engines don’t have enough power to simultaneously spin the propeller and rotor to jump speed so that a feathering prop is required.

The heavy tip weighted blades such as used by the Cartercopter cause the jumper to lose much of the gyro’s agility; the rotor responds sluggishly to control inputs.

FRANK'S;n1131562 said:
In the USA you have rules that you need a special license to fly a jump gyroplane,
But .... for all I can read we have no such rule in Canada I could have a Experimental Gyroplane
with a Jump system on it and no need for a different license.

Now has this Jump coppter takes off anyone calculated the disk loading on it till it reaches its max altitude?
I'm sure this was built to handle the load but OMG! sitting in the seat how many G's is the man pulling?

I cannot find a requirement in the Federal Aviation Regulations that does not allow a Private Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane certificate holder to operate a jump takeoff gyroplane Frank.

That does not mean there isn't one, only that I can't find it or an endorsement for it.

The 18A that I was onboard for a jump takeoff pulled well under two Gs during the jump.

After the pilot operated the jump mechanism the jump seemed to happen on its own.

Jump takeoff holds little allure for me.

Vance....In the FAA rules it stats that a Gyro can't have variable pitch rotor blades, if you do you need a different permit that is hard to get I was told many times.

C.Beaty......... Well was just a thing I like 5 or 6 years ago before I came to this forum.
I got older fast and the trill apeles to me less now.

BUT SURE LOOKS COOL.

Frank, I believe you are mistaken that a gyroplane cannot have variable pitch rotor blades.. Please quote the specific FAR(s) that says what you allege.

FRANK'S;n1131575 said:
Vance....In the FAA rules it stats that a Gyro can't have variable pitch rotor blades, if you do you need a different permit that is hard to get I was told many times.

Perhaps you are writing of the limitations for a sport pilot Frank.

A Sport Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane pilot is limited to flying a gyroplane with a two bade fixed pitch teeter rotor. See (9) below.

Private Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane has no such limitation that I am aware of.

14 CFR 1.1Definitions
Gyroplane means a rotorcraft whose rotors are not engine-driven, except for initial starting, but are made to rotate by action of the air when the rotorcraft is moving; and whose means of propulsion, consisting usually of conventional propellers, is independent of the rotor system.

Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:
(1) A maximum takeoff weight of not more than—
(i) 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on water; or
(ii) 1,430 pounds (650 kilograms) for an aircraft intended for operation on water.
(2) A maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (V[SUB]H[/SUB]) of not more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level.
(3) A maximum never-exceed speed (V[SUB]NE[/SUB]) of not more than 120 knots CAS for a glider.
(4) A maximum stalling speed or minimum steady flight speed without the use of lift-enhancing devices (V[SUB]S1[/SUB]) of not more than 45 knots CAS at the aircraft's maximum certificated takeoff weight and most critical center of gravity.
(5) A maximum seating capacity of no more than two persons, including the pilot.
(6) A single, reciprocating engine, if powered.
(7) A fixed or ground-adjustable propeller if a powered aircraft other than a powered glider.
(8) A fixed or autofeathering propeller system if a powered glider.
(9) A fixed-pitch, semi-rigid, teetering, two-blade rotor system, if a gyroplane.
(10) A nonpressurized cabin, if equipped with a cabin.
(11) Fixed landing gear, except for an aircraft intended for operation on water or a glider.
(12) Fixed or retractable landing gear, or a hull, for an aircraft intended for operation on water.
(13) Fixed or retractable landing gear for a glider.

OK Vance and Brian I see now but In USA you have so many Gyroplane license My heads spins so I was sure that a Gyro pilot needed a different license to fly a jump Gyro.
In Canada there is only one like 1 gyro license and you need a medical class 3 and like in class and flight training of about 100 hours.
weight restriction water or land restriction, so complicated down there. here the max weight is very high.

The FAA does not have a maximum weight for a gyroplane Frank.

The FAA added Sport Pilot for people who didn’t want to get a medical and put some restrictions on Light Sport Aircraft.

Only 20 hours is required for a Sport Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane certificate from the FAA.

You’re safe up to ~500 rpm. Beyond that, flow over parts of the blade become supersonic and control can be lost.

Evgeny;n1131603 said:
Hi, guys!
Let me ask you one question.
Sorry if the thread is not suitable.
I replaced the ELA-9 Junior 27-foot rotor with the dragon wings 25-foot . RPM became 350 in level flight, and 400 on the turn.
What is the maximum RPM speed allowed on a DW?
Thank You!
Evgeny.

I've read Ernie tested his small rotors on a test bench (powered by a Chevy V8 motor) up to 600 or 650 RRPM.

400 isn't critical at all for 25' DW - just calculate your tip speed to see it is ~160 m/sec - quite good for a gyro rotor.

Generally, problems with supersonic divergence begin when the blade tip reaches ~0.7 Mach, depending upon angle of attack where flow velocity over the upper surface is higher than free-stream velocity.

A rotor on a test stand can turn a bit faster than on a rotorcraft where forward speed adds to tip velocity.