Rotor blade rpm which is best

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
On another thread everyone is saying that the new breed of euro gyros turn 400 + RRPM.

My RAF with sportcoptor/Raf blades turns 330 RRPM.

Which is best/smoother.

1. High pitch low rotor rpm.

2. low pitch high rotor rpm

eddie;n1123389 said:
On another thread everyone is saying that the new breed of euro gyros turn 400 + RRPM.

My RAF with sportcoptor/Raf blades turns 330 RRPM.

Which is best/smoother.

1. High pitch low rotor rpm.

2. low pitch high rotor rpm

In my opinion Eddie if I am going to fly airshows I like a fast blade so I have more of a margin for low G maneuvers and can tolerate higher indicated air speeds better.

In theory slower uses less power but the European gyroplanes seem pretty efficient.

I have trouble nursing some of the European blades up to speed if the pre-rotator is not working correctly.

I feel there is a lot more to rotor blades than how fast they turn.

Of course, what's "best" depends on your goals.

For best efficiency, a mu ratio of 0.35 turned out in the tests of the 1930's to be best. The "mu ratio" is the ratio of the aircraft's forward speed to the blades' tip speed. You'll need to convert back and forth between miles per hour and feet per second, and also know how to calculate tip speed from RPM and diameter.

Obviously, a rotor without collective pitch can only be optimized for one airspeed using this rule.

For various reasons, people may depart from the rule.

Bensen's gyros ran at about mu=0.2. That is, their rotor RPM was quite high for the aircraft's low cruising airspeed. Perhaps this is just the way things happened to work out. Or perhaps Bensen, like Vance, wanted some extra RRPM margin above the low RPM at which catastrophic flapping would occur. Bensen blades lost RRPM FAST when unloaded, because they were light and draggy. We all noticed increases in performance when we slowed down our Bensen rotors a bit by adding more pitch, diameter, or both. Non-Bensen (and post-Bensen) blades tended to have longer blade chords, which also decreases RPM and moves in the right direction from the mu-ratio viewpoint.

High RPM blades have lower amounts of rotor damping than slow ones of the same mass and dimensions. Rotor damping is the tendency of the rotor to lag behind cyclic control inputs. High-RPM blades respond faster, with less stick back-pressure, to a control input. People tend to find that Bensen blades have "light, snappy' response compared, say, to the slower, heavier McCutchens.

Selecting a RRPM for a chosen cruise speed is a compromise between a high enough tip speed to minimize the draggy, stalled portion of the retreating blade and low enough tip speed to avoid excess drag on the advancing blade tip (where the blades' airspeed is highest). .

Thanks for your analysis, Doug:
For best efficiency, a mu ratio of 0.35 turned out in the tests of the 1930's to be best.
My question is: Is rotor blade chord relevant to discussions of mu ratios? What influence does blade chord have on rotor speed, outside of inertial mass difference?

Just one thing more: Do modern rotor blades have the same airfoils as blades of 30 to 40 years ago, that is, I'm assuming they were all of the Clark-Y configuration lifting surfaces?

On my Bensen with the stock factory Bensen metal blades. I built a set of tracking bars and did some testing. I would use 45 mph as the test velocity. If I pitched the blades at 1* the RRPM was at about 420; and I noticed a stick shake. If I pitched the blades at 1 1/2* the RRPM was 375; no stick shake and everything is smooth as silk. If I pitched the blades at 2* the RRPM was at 330; and there was a hop in the seat.
So, I always used 1 1/2* pitch; that is where they performed the best also.
My guess, is at the higher pitch and lower RRPM; there was insufficient centripetal forces and an excess coning angle. Therefore the undersling was also to short, and the teeter bolt was below the CG. I am also thinking the blades are flexing as they pass through the 3&9 and 12&6 positions and this is felt as a bumping in the butt.

eutrophicated1;n1123433 said:
Just one thing more: Do modern rotor blades have the same airfoils as blades of 30 to 40 years ago, that is, I'm assuming they were all of the Clark-Y configuration lifting surfaces?

Blades airfoils of the 30's have never been Clark Y, Franck.
Pitcairn PCA 2 was Göttingen 429 (symetrical)
Cierva C30 and Kellett KD1 was Göttingen 606 (asymmetrical with trailing edge flap to reduce Cmo)

Jean - Claude;n1124754 said:
Blades airfoils of the 30's have never been Clark Y, Franck.
Pitcairn PCA 2 was Göttingen 429 (symetrical)
Cierva C30 and Kellett KD1 was Göttingen 606 (asymmetrical with trailing edge flap to reduce Cmo)

Jean - Claude, thanks for your informed reply. This helps my newbie understanding of gyro flight characteristics. I had no idea that rotor airfoils had advanced that rapidly, or I guess, airfoils in general. Just one more thing: you used an acronym 'Cmo' . Please, what is that?

The aerodynamical pressures on an airfoil act along the chord and produces a moment nose up or nose down, even when the lift is zero.
Coefficient of moment allows quantify this moment
If Cmo >0, then tendancy to nose up. We can balance by a gravity center in front of 0.25 chord. So twist is now stable
If Cmo <0, then tendancy to nose down. We can balance by a gravity center in rear of 0.25 chord. But the twist is unstable