Pitch setting for 3 blade warp drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitch setting for 3 blade warp drive

I was curious what others have their pitch set at on a 3 blade warp drive prop. I will soon start testing my new Weber engine with a 66 inch 3 blade warp drive prop, the engine should develope about 73 hp thru a Rotax C box and RK400 clutch, the ratio is 2.6/:1 I have initially set the pitch at 11 degrees. This is mounted on a single Dominstor.
    "Never skimp on toilet paper or condoms"
    EAA member # 1102638
    Sport pilot Gyroplane

Wayne, you would want to set your prop pitch according to a percentage of your engines max. rpm, at the 11 deg. with the engine wide open, what's the engine rpm? you adjust up or down to reach the max. engine rpm that you want your engine to run, could be more or less than 11deg. All this depends on your particular engine.
    Jay Gunderson

"Wise men talk because they have something to say;
    fools talk because they have to say something."

Plato

Comment

And just remember that the prop will unload a couple of hundred RPM more when in the air as compared to static RPM.
      Best Regards,
      Eddie Sigman,Polvadera,nm
      (575) 835-4921

Comment

What the others have said. Plus...

When fine-tuning pitch, you end up with a choice between "climb" pitch and "cruise" pitch. This arises because gyros usually climb best at a speed lower than cruise. You can pitch the prop as a purely "climb" prop, in which case it'll just barely redline at your best rate-of-climb speed -- and will over-rev significantly at wide-open throttle at your cruise airspeed. Or you can opt for cruise pitch, in which case the engine won't over-rev even at wide-open throttle at cruise airspeed. It can still over-rev at airspeeds above cruise at wide-open throttle.

It won't reach redline during a static runup, with either pitch setting (as Eddie said).

Anyway, 11 deg. isn't a bad first cut. I think mine ended up about there with a Rotax 618 with 2.58 "B" box on a tandem Dominator.

Comment

Any details of your Weber setup you'd like to share? I'm sure many would be interested in the way you did it.

Comment

We (Brent Brown) and myself are just getting to the final steps in testing and flying, we will reveal all after flight is successful. Basic details are: Dominator single with pod, 24 foot rotor blades, This could be a great economical replacement for the Rotax 582 BH and with four stroke reliability. Weber 750 NA engine with CNC adapter plate and engine mounts to a Rotax C gearbox, 66inch Warpdrive 3 blade prop. I will include picks and video once we have it flying should be about 2-3 weeks.
            EAA member # 1102638
            Sport pilot Gyroplane

Comment

Anyone with a 3 blade warpdrive prop on a Rotax 582 that can share their pitch setting???
              EAA member # 1102638
              Sport pilot Gyroplane

Comment

Anyone with a 3 blade warpdrive prop on a Rotax 582 that can share their pitch setting???
                I had a 68" X 3 blade Warp on my old trike with a 582/C Box (3 to 1). Pitch was set at 13.5. This setting allowed me to go just to redline in flight but there is one caveat here...I am at 5500 MSL runway altitude BEFORE you ad in density altitude. Your setting will be lower if you're near sea level. I had to add 1.5 of pitch to compensate for altitude in that unit.
                My gyro has a 914 with a 70" X 3 blade Warp set at 13.5 also but that setting keeps me just below red line at 5750 RPM's WOT. I purposely set it there so as not to over rev.
                Mark

Risk lurks in the edges of marginality.. ..There are penalties to be paid for pushing the envelope..
                The speed in which a woman says "nothing" when asked "What's wrong?" is inversely proportional to the severity of the storm that's coming.
                No tyrant, foreign or domestic, should be permitted to die a natural death.

Comment

Working...
                X