Spun wheels - pros&cons?

twistair

Living in the Skies
Aircraft
none own :( currently flying Calidus mostly
Total Flight Time
Don't know exactly, ca. 3000 hours
G'day ya all,

I'm choosing wheels for a new projects and considering Hegar spun wheels i.e. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/hegar6300.php amongst other choices. Saw them at Sportcopter Vortex and they look attractive in weight and price but are there any other things to know about them?

Thanks for your inputs!

Only the 700 price. Whew! They also make cart wheels.

Golf Cart rims are less than 75 each.

s-l225.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
the hegar spun whees are prone to bend easier than a lot of other types.

Best regards,

I discovered that putting a tube in the tire helps to stabilize the bending referred to above...however if your landings are not that eloquent I imagine one would eventually bend up other rim types! :wink:

Thanks to all for your replies. $700 is the cost for two complete wheels with hydro brakes which doesn't look that expensive compared to other available sets. These wheels can be used either tubeless or with tubes. One more thing which attracts in these spun wheels is that their brakes are hidden inside rim and doesn't increase drag that much. As for wheelbarrow wheels used in Dominators - yes, they're cheap but have too narrow disk for comfort operation on soft soils i.e. sandbeach. We used them on Twist gyros together with band brakes and actually were happy with such setup.

In all these years, I have not had any flats with my tubeless Hegar wheels.

Hi Chuck.

Please, which wheel do you mean? As there are quite a lot to choose from.

Cheers
Erik

You can also get Van-K go kart wheel haves on Ebay,
or if you need the whole deal look into Azusa, wheels brakes bearings etc.

The Hegar wheels have take a huge hit in quality lately. Recently I purchased a set and all wheel halves had deep pits and scratches that required extensive refinishing to achieve a decent appearance.
The factory basically told me quality is better than ever and their attitude is "we checked with 3 people and you're nuts, we can't help you" (literally). However, I've purchased at least a dozen wheels in the past with good quality.
Not anymore!