Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spun wheels - pros&cons?

G'day ya all,

I'm choosing wheels for a new projects and considering Hegar spun wheels i.e. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../hegar6300.php amongst other choices. Saw them at Sportcopter Vortex and they look attractive in weight and price but are there any other things to know about them?

Thanks for your inputs!
    Alex Lameko
    Russian gyroforum
    Visit my collection of gyro videos

Only the 700 price. Whew! They also make cart wheels.

Golf Cart rims are less than 75 each.

Bryan Cobb, Helicopter Enthusiast
    Mfg.Engineer., Composites, Meggitt Aerospace, Rockmart, GA

Comment

Two piece tubeless suck. Always leak. Tube type is fine.
      " Amaze Your Friends, Annoy Your Neighbors"

Comment

Originally posted by Earthboundmisft View Post
        Two piece tubeless suck. Always leak. Tube type is fine.
        Solution:this is why I have a tube in mine.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Rambler; 03-29-2017, 03:26 AM. Reason: Added pics

Comment

Try these instead and save $675. They work as well if the included bearings are replaced with bearings of higher quality.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/wheelbarrow+wheel?NCNI-5

Comment

the hegar spun whees are prone to bend easier than a lot of other types.

Best regards,
            Best Regards,
            Eddie Sigman,Polvadera,nm
            (575) 835-4921

Comment

I discovered that putting a tube in the tire helps to stabilize the bending referred to above...however if your landings are not that eloquent I imagine one would eventually bend up other rim types!

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies. $700 is the cost for two complete wheels with hydro brakes which doesn't look that expensive compared to other available sets. These wheels can be used either tubeless or with tubes. One more thing which attracts in these spun wheels is that their brakes are hidden inside rim and doesn't increase drag that much. As for wheelbarrow wheels used in Dominators - yes, they're cheap but have too narrow disk for comfort operation on soft soils i.e. sandbeach. We used them on Twist gyros together with band brakes and actually were happy with such setup.
                Alex Lameko
                Russian gyroforum
                Visit my collection of gyro videos

Comment

In all these years, I have not had any flats with my tubeless Hegar wheels.
                  Happy Flying, Chris S.

Comment

Originally posted by C. Beaty View Post
                    Try these instead and save $675. They work as well if the included bearings are replaced with bearings of higher quality.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/wheelbarrow+wheel?NCNI-5
                    Chuck: What size is the bearing that replaces the cheap one that comes w/ the wheelbarrow tires & wheel? Make?

Comment

Hi Chuck.

Please, which wheel do you mean? As there are quite a lot to choose from.

Cheers
                      Erik

Comment

You can also get Van-K go kart wheel haves on Ebay,
                        or if you need the whole deal look into Azusa, wheels brakes bearings etc.

The government cannot give anything to anybody that the Government does not first take from somebody else.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
                        - Thomas Jefferson

Scott Essex....Flying H Ranch

Comment

The Hegar wheels have take a huge hit in quality lately. Recently I purchased a set and all wheel halves had deep pits and scratches that required extensive refinishing to achieve a decent appearance.
                          The factory basically told me quality is better than ever and their attitude is "we checked with 3 people and you're nuts, we can't help you" (literally). However, I've purchased at least a dozen wheels in the past with good quality.
                          Not anymore!

Comment

Working...
                          X