Calidus Instructor Pack

Kolibiri:
You don't seem to grasp the concepts of strength, rigidity, elasticity and cold work hardening properly.
Anyway, properly designed and executed both masts will have equal normal useful life but 304 mast will be heavier as you said. 4130 will be heavier than Aluminum mast

properly designed and executed both masts will have equal normal useful life
Based on what testing? Do you seriously believe that 4130 and 304 equally tolerate vibration and orbital stress?
They they work harden to the the same embrittlement over the same span of load and time?

I realize that you and all the other SS mast mfg. are relying on the notion that there's no difference in useful life.
Over the long haul, I hope you're right.

Regards,
Kolibri

Kolibri;n1137439 said:
Based on what testing? Do you seriously believe that 4130 and 304 equally tolerate vibration and orbital stress?
They they work harden to the the same embrittlement over the same span of load and time?

I realize that you and all the other SS mast mfg. are relying on the notion that there's no difference in useful life.
Over the long haul, I hope you're right.

Regards,
Kolibri

Kolibiri:
Just go and get a ME and then use it for a few years and you will eventually figure out how to design structures with different materials to an expected target cycle life.
4130 is superior simply because it can get you there with lower weight. Its quite simple. You can get there with SS 304 but with a penalty.

Just go and get a ME and then use it for a few years and you will eventually figure out how to design structures with different materials to an expected target cycle life.
fara, is that what you did, got your Mechanical Engineering degree and then used it to choose 304 stainless?

fara;n1137359 said:
Originally posted by Alan_Cheatham View Post
"The conclusion seems to be that since the only members who talked about it were one owner, of debatable technical competence ............"

Out of curiosity, who is this one owner referenced above?

Probably Mike G

And BTW, I have met, spend time and took a balancing course on PB-4 with Mike since he posted about the ELA welds and other issues. Of course I spent a lot of time with him discussing many other aviation engineering related topics and gyroplane related things. Mike G is very technically competent. He makes a lot of sense and his engineering background is solid and he is down to earth. Just to be clear. I'd definitely listen when Mike G strongly suggests something.

Kolibri;n1137511 said:
fara, is that what you did, got your Mechanical Engineering degree and then used it to choose 304 stainless?

Kolibiri:
And Microelectronics engineering and Computer Science.
What is your point?
How many aircraft have you designed and how many have you certified for how many companies and where are they flying? Talk is cheap. Its harder to shut up and go do things and make things. This is getting old. I love it at RWF. Everyone is an expert. Theoretical myths are accepted as truth without any test data properly collected because of some old school cult of personality and everyone plays pretend engineer and people who have never put any aircraft ever in production in any capacity (just simply being a pilot) opine expertly on aircraft life cycles and continued airworthiness without having written ever a single safety directive. Sorry Kolibiri for putting it bluntly.

Last edited:
fara, because you left it so vague, please just answer the below two questions:

1) you have a degree in Mechanical Engineering?
2) you used that ME degree knowledge in testing 304 SS against 4130 chrome-moly for gyro mast material life cycle?

You keep referring to having designed aircraft and gotten them certified.
You're talking about your trikes, correct?

Regarding Silverlight Aviation, I've heard that Greg Spicolli is the designer, and that you're not even a rated gyro pilot.
Please correct any misinformation relayed to me about that.

And isn't the AR-1 essentially a copy of the Apollo AG1 from Hungary, a gyro that you did not design and which already had a stainless steal mast?

AG1 vs. AR-1 stainless masts.png

In fact, the AR-1 is such a faithful copy that you still use metric bolts, even though your Florida factory suffers no supply issue of AN hardware.

Thanks,
Kolibri

Last edited:
kolibri, you demand that fara answer your questions which he did answer along with additional degrees earned while you were disrespectful ignoring his questions of you

And Microelectronics engineering and Computer Science.
What is your point?
How many aircraft have you designed and how many have you certified for how many companies and where are they flying?

​​​​​​Well ?

kolibri, how about this question from fara which appears to me you skipped over and tried to twist his reply that was very clear about frames, masts and welded structure to help you and other readers understand the truth

Have you ever examined actual structural elements of these gyroplanes, Magni, AutoGyro Gmbh, ELA G7, Titanium gyro etc. carefully in person?

That seems pretty clear. Have you ?

kolibri, in post #81 above you quote your own question in the shaded box. But in post #33 above that question is answered along with details and an external link.

But with facts, truthful examples and many responses posted if you still don't get how absurd your rants have become I for one won't stop replying because that would appear to you that I came around to your views. Game on.

Kolibri;n1137668 said:
fara, because you left it so vague, please just answer the below two questions:

1) you have a degree in Mechanical Engineering?
2) you used that ME degree knowledge in testing 304 SS against 4130 chrome-moly for gyro mast material life cycle?

You keep referring to having designed aircraft and gotten them certified.
You're talking about your trikes, correct?

Regarding Silverlight Aviation, I've heard that Greg Spicolli is the designer, and that you're not even a rated gyro pilot.
Please correct any misinformation relayed to me about that.

And isn't the AR-1 essentially a copy of the Apollo AG1 from Hungary, a gyro that you did not design and which already had a stainless steal mast?

In fact, the AR-1 is such a faithful copy that you still use metric bolts, even though your Florida factory suffers no supply issue of AN hardware.

Thanks,
Kolibri

Kolibiri:
AR-1 is certainly based from an AG-1. No doubt abut it and I have never hidden that fact but its not a faithful copy. Very sorry to disappoint you. You have never seen the two side by side and carefully examined them. There are tons of differences including dimensions of the frame and geometry, including where tail is in height, including mast height and including keel tube position from the datum in relation to rest of the frame and including slight changes to the body and of course the tail. and front fork (which honestly was inspired by Titanium gyroplane but not copied from it), including front seat frame and its actual composite seat that we changed drastically based on customer input and including geometrical differences in the rotorhead mechanisms. All the trim system and rotor brake mechanism was re-designed and made electro-mechanical instead of pneumatic that to me looked troublesome and not appropriate for a recreational aircraft. And no there are no metric bolts on AR-1 structure except of course for Rotax engines and for Averso rotor.

We use AN hardware and some industrial fasteners that are all not metric. You really shouldn't talk about stuff you have no idea about. Seriously dude, get a different hobby than arguing incessantly.

In reference to the photo of the very early mast of an early AR-1 you posted, I completely agree that even though structurally the welding is fine, its appearance is not to the standard I wanted for our product, because that is all what people see. The welding at that time was outsourced to a sub-contractor and was later brought in house and the quality of its appearance and of the whole fabrication quickly got higher by a few notches as anyone with any eye for such things can easily tell. That was the main point to bring that process in house where I could control it under my nose and up our game to world class in both structural and process but also in fit and finish and we did and we are upping our game further everyday with the help of our staff and using materials like carbon fiber and kevlar/carbon within the main body now to reduce weight, improve aesthetics while keeping the strength.

Besides trikes which honestly structurally are closer to gyroplanes, I have worked on two airplane designs heavily. I have worked on certifying in a significant capacity 4 other airplanes as well. Searey being fairly public knowledge so I can tell you without violating my NDA that Searey's whole certification (including all design changes to get it to that point) were lead by me and I lead the whole project for SLSA with a 5 person 7 day FAA AIR-200 audit in the end, when FAA was heavily disappointed in LSA industry and Searey was the first plane in 2.5 years of them doing audits for LSA industry to pass the audit without first failing it. The likes of planes that had failed the FAA audit included big names like Tecnam, Rans aircraft and every other audit FAA had conducted so far. FAA was impressed enough that FAA Small Aircraft Branch in Kansas recommended Searey's then CEO Adam Yang for LAMA's person of the year award. Shortly after that I took Searey through a Type Certification with CAAC in Bejing and then a production Certification with CAAC. We were the first American made SLSA to be exported to China. There are 50+ Searey's ordered from China because of that. I have long left that project. The price of the Type Certificated Searey in China is $80k more than SLSA one in the US.

https://www.bydanjohnson.com/searey-...omes-slsa-129/

https://generalaviationnews.com/2013...arey-shepherd/

https://www.bydanjohnson.com/searey-...o-enter-china/

https://www.bydanjohnson.com/new-sea...-of-get-up-go/

Others I cannot talk too much about because of NDAs. Even today I have side projects of helping 3 airplanes do either design changes and testing or consulting in manufacturing system setup to pass FAA muster. One being a popular twin engine experimental airplane. I try and do that on the weekends. One significant one I can just mention is American Legend SuperCub clone including the amphibian package with water loads etc. Cannot give you any more details.

Where did you hear that Greg Spicola is the designer? Why is that even a point for you to come up with? I am very surprised. Its no one's business who the designer or designers are. Its SilverLight Aviation. If I left SilverLight Aviation today, the design of AR-1 belongs to SilverLight Aviation. Not even me. That's an emphatic fact and the rest is bull. The company owns the design. That's how a normal business works. Just like Searey belongs to Progressive Aerodyne not to Kerry Richter personally. There have been many contributions along the way, including young engineers from USF and UCF who worked on it with us and some were very smart and some may be not as much. But they are all valuable and in service of SilverLight Aviation, the company and the brand. I just happen to be its face right now as its major shareholder and manager. You'd get closer to the facts if you considered SilverLight Aviation rather than individuals. At one point there were 4 engineers sitting in a room executing design ideas, doing FEA simulations, getting results and making changes after design review discussions. This went on for a good 8 months before the prototype was made.

So now that I have answered your very valuable questions (?), you answer mine. How many aircraft have you put in production. What engineering degrees do you hold. How many aircraft companies have you helped with design or modifying design or certify or setup production systems and matured them? Never mind even aircraft, how many machines of decent complexity have you designed and how many machines manufacturing production did you setup to an ISO 2000 standard or similar? Where did you study your Lean Manufacturing basics and AGILE PM? Let me tell you it all sounds easy from the arm chair. Try and actually do it and the song and dance stops. You are the one who started this line of thread and you will get buried in it. Its better you cut it out.

Last edited:
Abid no proof required your action and deeds speaks volumes more than words. Just so newbies know who is who in the zoo I/PRA askes for Vance's, Abid's, & JR's and others advice for factual answers affecting our community and we recognize them as real experts to advise the PRA board each in their field.

PS:
Abid and Vance are currently helping in different but related projects at this time that will improve our community. PRA takes their advice and opinions to the bank.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words John.

As with most trolls the problem is if the misinformation is not corrected some imagine it has some legitimacy.

It is probably a good exercise for me as a flight instructor to make my explanations more Kolibri proof.

Fortunately all of my clients want to learn and they challenge my explanations with actual questions they want answered.

Lots of multisyllabic words don’t substitute for understanding.

I am proud to know J.R. and Abid and have learned a lot from both.

In my opinion there are many valuable posts on the Rotary Wing Forum and I often learn here.

Thank you for all you do John Rountree. It appears to me you make a difference and I will help any way I can.

Vance;n1137694 said:
Thank you for the kind words John.

As with most trolls the problem is if the misinformation is not corrected some imagine it has some legitimacy.

It is probably a good exercise for me as a flight instructor to make my explanations more Kolibri proof.

Fortunately all of my clients want to learn and they challenge my explanations with actual questions they want answered.

Lots of multisyllabic words don’t substitute for understanding.

I am proud to know J.R. and Abid and have learned a lot from both.

In my opinion there are many valuable posts on the Rotary Wing Forum and I often learn here.

Thank you for all you do John Rountree. It appears to me you make a difference and I will help any way I can.

I did not read the entire thread but did read enough of the confusion without his understanding the anwser that I felt some may start believing it.
That's the only reason I responded or I would have stayed out of it.

You know I like the up side so I did learn more detail from the experts responses than I knew before and that's positive.

kolibri, in post #81 above you quote your own question in the shaded box. But in post #33 above that question is answered along with details and an external link.
Tomgyro, I did not see such an answer in his post #33. Also, I'm not on Facebook and thus could not open that page.

I've never implied that I'm an engineer or a designer of gyros, because I am not.
However, I am a rated pilot for and owner of gyro and FW, and potential new gyro customer.
So, my questions would be natural to the "face" and major shareholder and putative designer of Silverlight.

However,you have implied that you are a Mechanical Engineer, but without explicitly stating so.

My questions #1 and #2 were so simple that they could have been answered with either a "Yes" or a "No".
You declined to do so, in exchange for a "history of watchmaking" answer to a "Have you got the time?"
(I've done a fair bit of trial cross-examination in my day, so forgive me if it seems that you're being evasive.)

It seems to me that you use stainless as your AR-1 mast because the AG1 did.
That's your prerogative, but can you please dispense with the intimation that some in-depth engineering comparison with 4130 was involved?

You've stated that either mast material will have the same service life.
And, as you also wrote, it's up to the forum reading gyro customers to decide for themselves between opposing viewpoints.
I agree.

Your AR-1 seems to have some worthy refinements to the AG1.

Regards,
Kolibri

(I've done a fair bit of trial cross-examination in my day, so forgive me if it seems that you're being evasive.)

Regards,
Kolibri

I bet someone that your are/were an attorney. I win!

However, I am a rated pilot for and owner of gyro and FW, and potential new gyro customer.

What happened? You previously claimed that you have a new side by side Sport Copter on order. Please share with us all what happened to the order. Since you spent weeks telling us how great the SC is, we are all very interested to know why you are only a "potential gyro customer". I'm sure you were clever about "implying" you ordered one and will now reply with quotes of your own posts to tell me I'm wrong. Nothing is black and white with you. After insulting Abid, you now try to wiggle out of it by paying him a compliment on his "worthy refinements" to the AG-1. We all see right thru you.

I thought that the new beefy and robust sportcoptor was going to be flying by the end of last month,
where is the flight reports and photos of it in the air ??????

Kolibri;n1137766 said:
Tomgyro, I did not see such an answer in his post #33. Also, I'm not on Facebook and thus could not open that page.

fara, you have vigorously defended metric hardware as satisfactory for gyros, but I apologize for presuming that you used them in the AR-1.
I will have another look at our exchange about hardware.

I've never implied that I'm an engineer or a designer of gyros, because I am not.
So, my questions would be natural to the "face" and major shareholder and putative designer of Silverlight.

However,you have implied that you are a Mechanical Engineer, but without explicitly stating so.

My questions #1 and #2 were so simple that they could have been answered with either a "Yes" or a "No".
You declined to do so, in exchange for a "history of watchmaking" answer to a "Have you got the time?"

It seems to me that you use stainless as your AR-1 mast because the AG1 did.
That's your prerogative, but can you please dispense with the intimation that some in-depth engineering comparison with 4130 was involved?

You've stated that either mast material will have the same service life.
And, as you also wrote, it's up to the forum reading gyro customers to decide for themselves between opposing viewpoints.
I agree.

Your AR-1 seems to have some worthy refinements to the AG1.

Regards,
Kolibri

Kolibri:
I am just shaking my head and laughing. No wonder you have done cross examination in your day. Explains a lot. I gave you only a partial "history of watchmaking" because there are many watches (including 3 trikes) I have made that I did not even touch on. It was to blow your mud slinging right out of the water before you could reach even lower to throw even more mud.
Troll comes to mind. I got better things to do. Thanks for the light entertainment though last couple of days
Bye.

Last edited:
HighAltitude;n1137768 said:

Regards,
Kolibri

I bet someone that your are/were an attorney. I win!

I would guess law enforcement want to be lawyer Tim.

A good lawyer can stay on track much better; J.R. is a good example.

Some law enforcement officers are just bullies.

Many law enforcement officers become secretive and paranoid and they hide their true identities.

It doesn't matter because he is consistently argumentative without purpose about things he knows little about.

I feel how he got that way is not important.

fara, I'm also shaking my head, although about your continued evasion.
Are you a Mechanical Engineer?
You seem to want readers here to believe so, so why not clarify it?

"
mud slinging"? I've not said anything disparaging about you or your gyro (except for those early mast welds).
There's a big difference between designing a completely new gyro vs. refining an existing one.
I think it fair that folks understand that.

Till their own dreams at length deceive 'em,
And oft repeating, they believe 'em.

~ Matthew Prior

Last edited: