• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAgyropilot
    started a topic Trailer questions

Trailer questions

Hello Everyone,

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum for "trailers", but I didn't see a trailer forum. (Admin, please move to the correct forum if there is another.)

I've purchased an RAF 2000, and would like to trailer it without taking the rotors off. I have an enclosed trailer which is 33 feet long (interior) and 7 1/2 feet wide.
    The roof needs to be raised, and I'm planning on taking it to the manufacturer to have them raise the roof and provide the proper clearance.
    I haven't taken physical possession of the RAF yet, so I can't take measurements. I'd appreciate it if someone would tell me the height of the mast. I want to
    be sure the door is at least 6 inches higher than the mast.

I can already hear people thinking, "The rotors are going to be damaged if he leaves them on while trucking down the road." I intend to build cushioned supports,
    which will hold the rotors up, in a non-flexed position, and keep them from bouncing/flexing up and down. That way when I get to my destination, I just remove the
    supports, remove the fuselage tie-downs, roll it out and go.

If anyone else has a set-up similar to what I'm planning, please share your thoughts and experiences. I'm eager to learn, and hate re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks.

• Piot135pd
    replied
    I missed that part of Mentone, damn. Now I'm relegated to looking through the forums until the next fly-in.

Leave a comment:

• HighAltitude
    replied
    I walked the grassy parking area at Mentone and saw a variety of different transport setups. I was very surprised to see so many gyros trucked in. I got the impression here that hauling a gyro was not a good thing to do routinely but I would guess that half the gyros (or mode) came in on trailers from long distances. Great event!

Leave a comment:

• HighAltitude
    replied
    I will be there!

Leave a comment:

• Gyro28866
    replied
    Hopefully, You can make Mentone. You will see many versions of cranes and supports.
    My trailer will be in the first slot beside the Concession stand. based on some Facebook pictures, Christines' red trailer will be parked beside me.
    I have the rotor supported inside on the wall of the trailer, and Christine is craned up and set into a blade box on top of the trailer.

Leave a comment:

• HighAltitude
    replied
    The best system I have seen (maybe in this thread) utilized a crane that allowed the blades to be swung over the gyro without a second person present. The only viable storage for the blades IMHO is purpose built wooden cases, one per blade. It adds the complication of stringing the blades every time and I have no idea if that is a big deal or not. A different teeter bar design (two piece?) might be possible. The smart people here can answer that, not me. I get it that no manufacturers are catering to fitting a gyro in a standard trailer that is typically 7ft tall at the back door. I did read a comment on the Niki site that they are trying to get the folding mast down to that height. It's a low percentage of buyers that need it bit if you are folding the mast, why not get it as low as possible? I don't know the technical answers to my questions.

Leave a comment:

• dunc
    replied
    Excellent thread! Many thanks for the thought-provoking photos.

I am new to gyros, and just assembled the blades and mounted my completed Sport Copter rotor on my RAF for the first time. It was not "quick" to say the least, but I learned a lot. A suitable, hopefully enclosed, trailer is desired, but I do not want to have a 30+ ft trailer behind my RV. Anybody have some trailer design tips and pictures for storing/assembling rotor components, then mounting it? On shorter ~15 ft trailer if available.

Leave a comment:

• Brent Smith
    replied
    The Magni is taxid out for run-up with the blades held by the rotor brake, I.e. free to bounce. After clearing the active after landing, the blades are again wound down and secured with the rotor brake while taxiing back to the hangar. However, I wouldn't recommend trailoring without good triangulated supports fore and att. Placement of the supports along the length of each blade is an interesting question - mid-blade? 2/3 out?

Leave a comment:

• HighAltitude
    replied
    Is it a big deal to separate the blades? My mission and environment are changing so I am back on the forum to see what has changed in the gyro world over the last 18 months. I am on a waiting list for a hangar at my new location. I am wondering if I could transport a gyro from my garage across town every time I want to fly. From what I have read here, I should remove the rotor no matter how short or how slow the trip is to the airport. I was taken aback by the comment to not even taxi without the rotors turning. I hadn't thought about the bouncing along the taxi way but it makes sense if the rotor is truly that delicate. Almost all videos don't support following that practice and some instructional videos even warn to stop the rotors completely (or almost full stop) before leaving the runway. My new location is very windy so I am watching and learning how to handle the rotor. I'm hoping to experience windy flight during my lessons but you can't always get what you ask for as I learned when getting my tail wheel endorsement. No wind at all until the last day!

Leave a comment:

• PAgyropilot
    replied
    Thank you, Doug!

Leave a comment:

• Doug Riley
    replied
    Rather than risk damaging a rather life-critical (and expensive) part of your gyro, I suggest you focus on making blade installation and removal super-easy.

A big-gyro rotor is heavy and awkward. I've seen more than one RAF trailer rigged with a little crane (with block and tackle) on the side of the trailer. This allows you to lower the assembled rotor onto the rotor head and line it up to push the teeter bolt through. It really is a trivially easy task once you get the "hang" of it, so to speak.

A picky note about nomenclature: An RAF has ONE rotor, consisting of two BLADES and a hub. When I assemble my gyro, I attach each BLADE to the hub, forming one ROTOR.

Leave a comment:

• Barney Bahle
    replied
    Originally posted by PAgyropilot View Post
    Thanks, Barry!! Any photos you can share?
    Here's a picture of Barry's setup!

And a flashback.

Wrens, Wrens, Wrens, Wrens

Leave a comment:

• PAgyropilot
    replied
    Very nice!

Leave a comment:

• Gyro28866
    replied
    Before Bensen Days this year, I built me a camper into the gooseneck of the trailer. Finished it has 7'8" width and 8' long and 6'1" standing room height. The steps will fold over into the space getting them out of the way for toys. Heat and air, and I will be adding water. Perfect for a fly-in. I still have some trim work to do; but it was really nice at BD this year!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gyro28866; 06-03-2018, 05:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gyro28866
    replied
    Here are some pics of the blade support in the trailer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X