Rotax Rick's 670 engine

Donnier

Do any of you wonderful pilots out there have any experience with the 670 engines built by Rotax Rick? I am l considering this engine for my gyro but there appears to be a lot of controversy about it.

Jake Have you not used many Rotax Ricks Engine? or are you just posting this since it's a 2 stroke and eventually they fail?

I know a few guys that would never recommend one.

I can't comment on that particular engine, but I have bought my used (zero timed) 503 from Rotax Rick and it was a real pleasure doing business with him. Great guy with a reputation for standing by his work.

Curious what the controversy is about.

Rick is an awesome guy and will rebuild a warrantied engine for free. I had one rebuilt 4 times and never left the ground!! So I bought a brand new 582 to replace it.
I am no longer using Ricks service.
For those that are happy, I am happy for you, I've just seen too much to ever leave the ground in one again.
2 cycles are known to be problematic, but I trust a factory built or a certified Rotax service center engine over a garage built engine any day.
My life is worth the few extra bucks.
Plus I could never understand how a one man shop with no resources could claim to make a better engine than the factory that spends millions on research and development.

Jack forgot to mention he got the 670 for free from a guy that never made it to 25 hours with all the 6 previous Rotax 2 stroke engines he owned. He blew the first 670 up at a fly in with only 12 hours on it running it at 100% power continually. He did state he beat everyone he raced at the fly-in. I had to use a complete new 670 engine to replace it under warranty & I even paid the shipping. At 25 hours he bragged that he never had a Rotax engine last this long, ( 25 hours ) but the oil was getting expensive & he asked if he could use less oil or go to a cheaper brand. 51 hours he blew the second engine up. All failures was the lower rod bearings being over stressed. This was a early 670 & was built BEFORE we was using the double slotted rods. I rebuilt it with cageless lower rod bearings in hope it would hold up to the abuse. He never flew the engine & gave it to Jake for free. In the 4 years from rebuilding it the last time for the original customer until Jake got it we tested the cageless bearings & was not happy with the result. I told Jake I would replace the cageless rod bearings in his long out of warranty 670 for him for $200 . That would at least cover the parts. Then another time Jake brought me the engine & had me remove the Ducati Dual ignition & install a single ignition. ( Why ? Who does that ?? ) I guess he counts these 2 times I worked on it doing these 2 things 4 rebuilds. Jake the 2 items I changed does not add up to 4 rebuilds. Jake never even flew with the 670. He claimed it ran ruff & there was brass in the RV oil. I went to his shop & he ran it. The engine was very smooth but the parts he made for his crude pre rotor I feel was causing the vibration, not the engine. I ran this engine on my test stand & it ran perfect. He also made a comment above on how a guy in a garage can't build a engine better than Rotax but forgets he is a guy in a garage ( With no doors) & is designing Gyro Copters. I have seen his Gyros & they kind of remind me of a erector set. I have built 432 670's to date & like the 912 in the beginning we had teething problems. I was getting at least one service bulletin on the 912 a month. The 670 is a proven engine. You cannot turn a 582 or a 618 into a 670 . I want to add I have not had a single rod bearing fail on any engine built after the first 50 non double slotted rods. My 670's are proven & are more reliable than a 582 considering they run 600 rpm less than a 582 for the same thrust. Rotax Rick

I want to add that if you are building a Gyro that requires more power than a 582 has in flight , don't buy a 670. I developed the 670 for heavy Aircraft, heavy passengers, short strips & float planes to clear the trees. Not for Gyros to run at 90% full power all the time. The 670 will not provide even 75 hp continually. Jake also says to get a Rotax Engine from a certified Rotax Shop. So forget the Yamaha Gennis 120. Unless there is a certified Yamaha shop. Thats just plain stupid talk. I guess Jake is saying get a 912 & really that's a very good advice. Every 3 out of 5 Rotax 2 stroke water cooled engines that fail is because the lower connecting rod bearings fail. I have never had a single 582 or 618 lower rod bearing fail & the ones that did fail on the 670's (6 out of 432 engines ) was mostly on abusing engines in Gyros . I don't want to hurt anyones feelings but I rather not sell a 670 for a Gyro. I just don't need the 670's name ruined by using a 670 where it shouldn't be used . This is where I had 80% of all 670 problems. Kirt Grover flew his 670 for years @ 4 gph & didn't have a problem. That's the way I meant it to be flown. The 582 for the same thrust would of used 5 gph & been overworked. I have no control of how my 670's are being operated so I hope everyone understands this. Also with 432 670's built if they were not a great engine I believe everyone would know this by now. Peoples always happy to jump on a bad thing but never respond to all the good things. Sincerely Rotax Rick

I had a 582 rebuilt by Rotax Rick and wouldn't hesitate using his services again. Great experience.

You forgot two main details.
#1 -- I use the same prerotator on my 582 and it's smooth as silk
#2 -- Trump is still your President !!

Like I said ,If your happy using him good for you

Rick uses ceramic pistons, double slotted rods for better lubrication, recommends mixing your gas and oil instead of relying on an iffy oil pump system. My 582 failed because of that pump. Plus, his prices are reasonable. He is always available to answer questions and very friendly.
My two cents.

GyroJake, nothing personal. I understand you are not happy with the product you got from RotaxRick.

Then again there are quite a few people who are happy with RotaxRick's work and product.

So can you tell me why in your final comment you decided to try and bring in a political slur???????

Again this shows a lack of the ability to have a actual discussion, and that you have nothing constructive to add to your point. Kinda like the 5 year old reply to being teased "I know you are now what am I?"

This forum is a collection of pilots and builders and people who aspire to be one or the other. Lets keep it non-political, non-racial, non-sexist and learn about flying and gyros and share with each other.

Kumbaya

David M.

GyroJake, nothing personal. I understand you are not happy with the product you got from RotaxRick.

Then again there are quite a few people who are happy with RotaxRick's work and product.

So can you tell me why in your final comment you decided to try and bring in a political slur???????

Again this shows a lack of the ability to have a actual discussion, and that you have nothing constructive to add to your point. Kinda like the 5 year old reply to being teased "I know you are now what am I?"

This forum is a collection of pilots and builders and people who aspire to be one or the other. Lets keep it non-political, non-racial, non-sexist and learn about flying and gyros and share with each other.

Kumbaya

David M.

This post was aggravated by a third party who called Rick and primed him with some Bull Squirt.
We spoke and all is good, ya can't make everybody happy.
He's actually a great guy.
So, now you're are morals and ethics officer.
Phuck of, mind your own business.
Your probably the aggravator, who know he has like 50 accounts.
By the way, it was not a political slur, it is Political Fact :) :) :) :)

Last edited:
Well I am not the third party

I know you can't make everyone happy

I am glad you think so.

I did not say I was a moral and ethics officer, however like a lot of people on here I can not see a single reason to spew hate for no reason or to politicize a topic with hate.

Keep your hate private, when you post it public-ally it is everyone's business.

I have had one account on here for 15 years, not started or ended one discussion with hate of any kind. I come here to learn and to share.

So you can go ahead and have me banned for trying to prevent further politicization and hate. We have more than enough division without creating more for no reason. I said not one thing positive or negative just that there was no reason for turning a subject political.

So you attacked me, wow you are a big man. Please attack me some more to just reinforce my opinion of your actions. Or how about we stick to flying and building and no more attacks against anyone. Offer opinions and discussions, NOT HATE.

David

Banned !! Coincidental ?
They been on here that long too.
No you attacked me with your self righteous rhetoric.
Hold on, I'm gonna go back and read your post to see if I still don't care.
Nope still don't care.
Happy Thanksgiving.

AOC for queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!