Cylinder head temps versus coolant temps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder head temps versus coolant temps

I am being told that on a 2 stroke water cooled engine the coolant temperature and the CHT'S should be about the same. Is this true? Or can the CHT's greatly exceed the water temperature? I don't seem to have any air trapped in the coolant system.

The number of strokes makes no difference; the spark plug sockets of both are surrounded by water jacketing which keeps the temperature as measured by a thermocouple under the spark plug just slightly higher than water temperature.

All depends upon the efficiency of the thermal path between spark plug and cylinder head.

Iíve seen 2 instances of inadequately torqued spark plugs overheating, blowing out and starting grass fires. One was a Mac 2-stroke and the other was a Continental aircraft engine.

Comment

On average the plug temp will vary from 200 to 250
      The water temp will vary from 135 to 175.
      Life,The leading cause of Death

Live and Learn--OR--Die and be an example

Comment

It sounds like you are having issues by your post. The CHT will come up to a steady reading quicker than the water temp. If some one told you they should be the same it could only be at idle IMHO. I would be worrying about extremely low cht temps and fowling of the plugs.

Comment

Working...
        X