Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long slow process, the Autoflight 700

Test flying the Autoflight 700 twin,
    And it's me testing it. Runs smooth (internal balance shaft) and powerful (80HP) with the internal gear reduction proving robust so far. Still single ignition for the moment and runnimg carburetors. I've got a second engine here that will be set up with TPI injection and burning E85.
    https://youtu.be/8pS4KhsTtoo

https://youtu.be/8IA3Xth6jXc
    Last edited by uniflow; 06-11-2018, 03:35 PM.

Neil: Thanks for sharing the twin engine project. It has been a long time since we've heard from you on this forum.

As an aside, a fellow PRA Chapter member has a SparrowHawk gyroplane, w/ the Subaru 2.5 l. engine. Stock belt drive. He'd like to convert it to a gear reduction, exactly as Brock Steiner here locally did to his same gyro, using one of your gear reductions. Will you sell him one?

Comment

Yes, no problem. I'm still in business but my web site is in need of reboot. I guess Ill get on to it soon
      autoflightneil@gmail.com
      0064 7 8241978
      Last edited by uniflow; 06-14-2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

A few photos of the engine, still very much a prototype. Although as I said I do have a second one in my workshop.
        Uses a 66" Warp Drive on this small frame Dominator.
        Last edited by uniflow; 06-11-2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Neil: Does that vertical shaft prerotator on the front end of your new engine have a clutch somewhere inside the engine case?

Pretty nifty to have a reduction drive built into the engine.

Comment

yes, a cone clutch, all built in as part of the engine.
            Internal reduction drive was designed to make the engine lighter and shorter, various ratios are available. Especially designed for autogyro use.
            New engine with TP injection is cleaner and more fuel efficient. TP injection is is simple, reliable and cheap.
            Last edited by uniflow; 06-12-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Is the cone raised up by the pilot to engage the prerotator? Varying the cone nestling inside another cone to slowly bring the rotors up to speed?

Comment

the female cone is connected to the end of the balance shaft, spinning all the time. The male half is connected to the angle drive, angle drive is able to slide in and out via a lever and cable, operated by the pilot.
                Pilot uses a clutch handle ( like most gyros) to engage the cones. Some slippage is nessasary for a start but not for long then one to one drive. Works well.

Comment

Gave it another half an hour today. I like flying my Dominator. Perhaps time to build up my second engine, you know, just in case😆.

Comment

Working...
                  X