Oil for two stroke

rickloon

Aircraft
soma gyro ,aurora butterfly
One of my gyros has a 503 for power and they are not making the type of Oil I have been using any more Any ideas as to what would be a good 50/1 oil to use as a replacement?

I posted 2 times to try to help you but the 2 times my post was deleted.

I will try one more time.

The best 2 stroke oil I know and use is Amsoil syntetic 2 stroke 50 to 1
I use it in all my 2 stroke a bit more expensive but well worth it.
make sure it's compatible with your Rotax 503

I've used Super Tech 2-cycle engine oil sold in the blue jug at Wally World for years. It's cheap and available everywhere.

It was recommended to me by an engine guy who used to build trikes (weight-shift). He had a great story about how it was recommended to him by another engine guy who worked for a go-cart racing business. Apparently, they spent much of their time keeping the heads and combustion chambers decarboned and the problem went away when they tried the Walmart brand.

I have had similar experiences in 3 Rotax 582s, a Rotax 503 and in an old old powered paraglider engine for more than 10 years. I check them each annual and they never have carbon buildup. 2 of my 582s are premix and the one on my gyro has the oil pump. It works great both ways.

Sometimes these engines sit for a few weeks without being run, so I've never used synthetic. My understanding is synthetic is great in cars that drive everyday, but too thin for engines that sit, especially in humid environments.

Years ago I used Penzoil for air cooled engines in my powered paraglider and I had the same problem as the go-cart guys. Big gobs of carbon buildup that had to be cleaned regularly. Carbon would plug up the compression release hole after running for only 5 hours. That same engine has no problems with carbon when running Super Tech.

Eric

FRANK'S;n1126697 said:
I will try one more time.

The best 2 stroke oil I know and use is Amsoil syntetic 2 stroke 50 to 1
I use it in all my 2 stroke a bit more expensive but well worth it.
make sure it's compatible with your Rotax 503

Amsoil Interceptor is the best by far!!

Eric S;n1126729 said:
I've used Super Tech 2-cycle engine oil sold in the blue jug at Wally World for years. It's cheap and available everywhere.

It was recommended to me by an engine guy who used to build trikes (weight-shift). He had a great story about how it was recommended to him by another engine guy who worked for a go-cart racing business. Apparently, they spent much of their time keeping the heads and combustion chambers decarboned and the problem went away when they tried the Walmart brand.

I have had similar experiences in 3 Rotax 582s, a Rotax 503 and in an old old powered paraglider engine for more than 10 years. I check them each annual and they never have carbon buildup. 2 of my 582s are premix and the one on my gyro has the oil pump. It works great both ways.

Sometimes these engines sit for a few weeks without being run, so I've never used synthetic. My understanding is synthetic is great in cars that drive everyday, but too thin for engines that sit, especially in humid environments.

Years ago I used Penzoil for air cooled engines in my powered paraglider and I had the same problem as the go-cart guys. Big gobs of carbon buildup that had to be cleaned regularly. Carbon would plug up the compression release hole after running for only 5 hours. That same engine has no problems with carbon when running Super Tech.

Eric

Mark Lynn (Netpilot) and I researched this extensively recently. In fact Mark called virtually every oil manufacturer that sells 2 stroke oil and multiple Rotax engine mechanics. What we discovered is that Amsoil Interceptor is the best choice and there is not an issue with engines sitting for weeks. One mechanic did recommend using fog oil on any engine regardless of the type of oil, if the engine is going to sit for months at a time. Louis Gulley has been flying his Bensen with a Mac and has used synthetics exclusively for 30 years. He has never fogged the engine over the winter and has not had an issue. Here is a study you may find interesting:

First I am not an Amsoil Dealer. It is my understanding that the Penzoil 2 Cycle oil is not the same oil as was when it was the Rotax Oil of choice. It is my understanding that they then recommend Aeroshell two stroke oil which has also been discontinued. I have switched to Amsoil Interceptor, after examining the rings and pistons in my wifes PPC which has been running it for 11 years and being impressed by how little carbon had built up.

The Penzoil which has been mentioned, is what I used for years in my Mac. However, it is no longer produced. It was Penzoil 2 cycle for air cooled ashless dispersant.
When the supplies started to dry up, I started conducting some test of my own. I switched to a full synthetic and went from 16oz/5 gallon to 14oz/5 gallon of 100LL. My starts become easier and the greatest benefit I saw was a drop of the inflight CHT's of about 35*F.

I am very carefull anymore when assuming what is the best 2-stroke engine oil. Mainly because different engines have been built to very different specifications. And its very easy to burn up a decades old one that needs 30 to one, or even 20 to one mixtures by using modern 50 to 1 oils.

I say, get in direct touch with the manufacturer, or failing that, search online for someone who still has the documentation for that motor.

FRANK'S;n1126696 said:
I posted 2 times to try to help you but the 2 times my post was deleted.

Frank,

Occasionally the forum software will hold a post for approval if it has a link in it that "looks" suspicious, and it has to be approved by a moderator.
I approved them, but you and others have already gotten the info posted.

Two-stroke oil is used in crankcase compression two-stroke engines. The four-stroke engine utilizes a closed crankcase. The crankcase in the two-stroke engine is used as part of the induction tract. Therefore, in a two-stroke engine you mix your two-stroke oil with gasoline - the gasoline acting as lubrication throughout the engine.Two-stroke oil is a bit different than 4-stroke oil in that 2-stroke engine oil does not have weight indications. Additionally, two main types of 2-stroke oil exist: injector safe and pre-mix. Most dirt bikes fall into the pre-mix category that is combined with gas.
Four-stroke oil is more like the oil used in cars but both 2-stroke and 4-stroke oil serve the same purpose - to keep the engine lubricated. Four-stroke dirt bike oil comes in a variety of weights like 10w-40, 20w-50 and so on. It is not mixed with gas.So now what oil should you use? Easy. The second key to finding the right oil for your dirt bike is: Read your owner's manual to find what oil the manufacturer recommends for your bike.

If your manufacturer recommends 20w-50 for your 4-stroke then don't buy 10w-30 weight oil. The most common weight for dirt bikes is 10w-40. Your owner's manual also explains what ratio to mix your oil and gas for the 2-stroke engine in order to get the best performance. It can be anywhere from 1:100 to 1:8 and all in between.Always check your owner's manual for the correct weight in oil that works best with your dirt bike. Once you know what weight oil to use, then we can recommend specific brands of oil in the manufacturer's suggested weight for your machine. We carry all the different oils your dirt bike requires to run smoothly and run efficiently without breaking down.If you're running a 2-stroke make it easy on yourself and get a measuring cup device so you can accurately measure the oil-to-gas ratio recommended by the bike's manufacturer. Here are some recommendations for measuring cups.

Lets face it oil has come a long ways with more and more companys advertising that theirs is best. I am an old timer that used to race for team Husqvarna. Blendzol was tops then and if there was no smoke trail you knew you were lean. Engineered synthetics are available to us now and are great after break in. I use Redline synthetic which is very excpensive but I am willing to try Amsol.

Oil threads are always a hoot to read. So many opinions, and so many ways to skin a cat so to speak....

I agree 100 percent with that Eric S guy above. I also ran supertech walmart oil, along with Pennsoil outboard marine oil, for years and never had a problem out of it. Run the stuff in my racing 2 stroke dirtbikes as well and it has been no problems there either.

A old Mac engine may require some special oils, but a Rotax does not. You just need to make sure your using 50 to 1, and you need to check after switching oil brands, for carbon deposits. If you switch to a new oil, after running that oil 10-20 hours, pull off the exhaust manifold and check the cylinder, piston top, and ring grooves for carbon... if all is clean, then keep using the oil.

I can assure you though, the cheap super tech and pennsoil outboard oils will work as good as anything else you can buy, and will save you money. If you like being wasteful with your money because you THINK your going to get better performance out of a different oil, go right ahead. Lots of people are wasteful with their money, so join the club.