Yamaha motor mounts

DaveJaksha

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
Hi, everyone. Trying to get moving on the installation of my Yamaha 3 cyl into my Sportcopter Vortex. The source for the engine mount has fallen through so I am looking around for some help. I am short on fabrication facilities so I am hoping either someone can help fabricate, or maybe someone has some appropriate mounts that they are not using, that I could purchase. Or maybe you know someone who could help. I have included a picture showing the type of mounts I am looking for.

Cheers, Dave

Attachments

• photo127839.jpg
    photo127839.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 11
  • photo127838.jpg
    photo127838.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 10
Well, that's my gyro. :peace:
Those mounts were fabricated by Todd Rieck (aka Racer). Have you tried to get in contact with him?

Hi, Glenn. Hope you don't mind me using your pic as an example of what I am looking for in a mount. Todd's CNC machine is out of business for the time being, and I have all ready waited for a year, so I am trying to get things moving. Getting to old to wait for years for parts. Maybe I will get lucky and info someone with some already fabed parts! Otherwise, I will have to start from ground zero and build something up...

No Title

Viper22 on the forum has been working on a redrive plate for the Yamaha 3 cyl. It is similar to this that someone else made for an airplane.

Three lobes of the plate to attach for extra security, instead of just using the four stock Yamaha bolts around the crankshaft. He told me just recently that he is working on it in Solidworks as time allows.

Attachments

• photo127850.jpg
    photo127850.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo127851.jpg
    photo127851.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 4
Another guy in our local PRA chapter was trying another route for same gearbox (Rotax C) & engine, but the fellow he paid to waterjet cut the parts did not do a good job, and ducked responsibility to correct the mis-aligned holes...

There are a good dozen guys that I know that are waiting for a motor mount/gearbox system that they don't have to wait YEARS to get.

Dave, may I suggest...
If you're in contact with Todd, ask him if he'll sell you a copy of the drawing for the motor mounts so that you can have them made by somebody else. He's a very nice guy and I expect he'll try to help if he can.

Glenn, already tried that approach. Todd says he no longer has any plans for sale, Computer crash caused loss of all the drawings.
I have been talking to Paul at Tangogyro about the gearbox adaptor they are using. I was apprehensive about the mount, but they have quite a bit of time now on the system and it seems to be working well. There have been a few cases of prop hard strikes and no damage to the engine. I also spoke to the guy that is the test pilot and he had nothing but positive things to say.

I appreciate everyone's input. Keep you suggestions coming.

Dave

Kurt Carlsen Motor Mount.png.jpg

YG4 on an Air Command.

Last edited:
That looks great Tom. Well done!

I wish it was mine, but, it belongs to a fellow Peach State Club member.

I agree Kevin. It looks simple, clean, and strong. Sweet solution!!!

Can anyone point me towards a dimensioned drawing of a Rotax "C" box?

Dave

Thanks, guys for the links to the drawings. That is a big help...

Dave

Kevin_Richey;n1121569 said:
Another guy in our local PRA chapter was trying another route for same gearbox (Rotax C) & engine, but the fellow he paid to waterjet cut the parts did not do a good job, and ducked responsibility to correct the mis-aligned holes...

Couldn't have been me, I never sold anything to anyone in Oregon, PRA member or otherwise, to the best of my recollection. I do have a customer in Washington for a YG4i (Apex) kit, but his order has not shipped yet and he is a FW guy, not gyro clubber.

Hey guys, about using the Tango YG3 adapter, just a word of caution if I may: Tango uses hollow Luga props (also sold as Kool Prop), which are found on many eurotubs like MTO, etc. A prop strike with a hollow Luga prop is no way to prove adapter strength - it is more like a hot knife cutting through butter, near zero resistance.

Put a Warp Drive solid carbon fiber prop on one of these things and you are asking for trouble. The rotating inertial mass of a WD is far greater than a Luga, and that means a lot more stress on the attachment points of the adapter, etc. My advice to anyone using the Tango YG3 adapters is to stick with a Luga prop, and you should be OK with that combination.

Luga props were rated for 130 HP, so not enough to stand up to the muscle of a YG4, let alone a YG4i. They have a new product that is rated for 170 HP now. I am a dealer for Warp drive, Luga, and SPG gearboxes. I may try to become a Whirlwind dealer, and have received the info for Pezske as well. Prince is just to expensive, I'll never go that route.

Anyway, happy Fourth!