EA82 max RPM?

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
Does anyone know what the max RPM on an Subaru EA82 is supposed to be? What's the best RPM for hp/torque? Cruise rpm? My engine has the Delta cams.

Voyager II runs an EA82, does anyone know who I should talk to?

You have a redrive ? What type ? Delta might have a good answer. I ran a redrive on a EA81.....I think I was turning 5000.

I've got a 2.58:1 redrive from Airtrikes. with a 68" Ivo 3 blade prop.

Last edited:
What do have it set at now for max ? (engine rpm)

Bobby, I would do some thrust test to see where you get the maximum thrust, especially with the ease of changing the pitch on the Ivo props. If you're not over 52-5300 rpm at the max thrust you should be in good shape.

How well is she flying now ?

CLS447;n1118639 said:
What do have it set at now for max ? (engine rpm)

I have not set the prop pitch yet and was wondering at what max RPM should I aim for.

richardkennedy;n1118641 said:
Bobby, I would do some thrust test to see where you get the maximum thrust, especially with the ease of changing the pitch on the Ivo props. If you're not over 52-5300 rpm at the max thrust you should be in good shape.

Thanks Richard. Somewhere I read 5500, but I wanted to verify before hitting that rpm. I might have read that on a Subaru (car) forum. I'll aim for 5300 max. Would that be static, or level flight?

To be on the cautious side probably level flight. Static would probably be about 5000-5100.

richardkennedy;n1119267 said:
To be on the cautious side probably level flight. Static would probably be about 5000-5100.

I just had the valves seats re ground and the heads gone through. New lifters or (HLAs) as Subaru calls them, new rings, new water pump, and new shims behind the lifters. I made a new carb adapter out of aluminum, and made a custom exhaust/muffler. I'll be back out at the hangar on the 29th. Hopefully I'll be able to do some thrust test soon. I've got to extend the mast 10" to play it safe on the cyclic back position. I could probably get away with it where it is, but no need to worry about a tail strike when I can easily raise the mast.

Please let me know how the thrust numbers work out. If I recall, (and this is a bit sketchy), the best thrust numbers I saw with that engine was about 415#. That was with a 1.84/1 redrive and 3 blade 64" prop. I THINK the max rpm I had it set for was about 5400. That's a good solid engine, it will do a good job for you.

I have my Subaru 2.5 set for between 5,000 to 5,100 rpm on takeoff,I don't know what level top rpm is,I have been to 120 mph and shut it down having never achieved max rpm..

eddie;n1119306 said:
I have my Subaru 2.5 set for between 5,000 to 5,100 rpm on takeoff,I don't know what level top rpm is,I have been to 120 mph and shut it down having never achieved max rpm..

120mph? Dang! What rotors do you have? What Rotor RPM?