No announcement yet.

Mini EFIS for gyros

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Peter. House/gyro just eggs at the moment.

House sale in progress... with a number of ‘it’s Africa’ complications. Meeting with prospectives and lawyers tomorrow.

Will GJ is lead test case for CAA/LAA Sect T approval, so a work in progress. Neither CAA nor LAA known for their alacrity.

Been talking to a friend who is a BA 777 Capt and owner of Slinfold near Horsham about a slot there. He has two hangers which are full, talking about a third. Less than an hour from me and on the way to my son in Storrington.

A single 8.5" MGL display with built in GPS. A radio and some warning lights. A few toggles to add and I'm done. This is for a single seat centerline thrust machine. The dash panel is removable with 4 thumb screws and two plugs. I did this so as to save the panel from damage when transporting the gyro on a trailer.
    Nice and simple setup.

Having seen what is now available with Ipad apps linked to the ILevil by WiFi, I might go for some basic steam driven for the local fun flights/emergency back-up, such as ASI, Alt, Fuel, and some engine instruments. Then a knee mounted Ipad for the x-country with the attitude, moving map, engine readouts, weather airfield data, flight aware, etc.
    Leigh.

Comment

Having cast a line in the water and been well rewarded by Chris and his suggestions, a further cast is in order.

On single seaters the majority of owners have always tended to go for basic coms and hand held radios for flights in the general area or between nearbye airfields

With the exciting possibilities of quick remove canopies for those chilly days, more economical engines giving us greater range, and mini EFIS systems affording us moving map nav, engine monitoring, instant on route weather, airfield charts, we are now looking at going slightly further afield, but the need for both communication and being seen, transponders, now joins the equation.

What, if any, new lightweight mini radio stacks at an affordable price might be suggested for the sector which the new single seat go places gyro might tend to fall into?
      Leigh.

Comment

MGL radios are my favorite. I have bought them for my last three FW. They offer all the bells and whistles for under a pound of weight. I always use the second channel monitoring feature during flight. I can tune the next airport weather or com as I zoom across the sky to stay in touch with traffic.

Comment

Anyone here have experience with the Kanardia EFIS / EMS? (http://www.kanardia.eu) Seems like a neat little unit.

Comment

Originally posted by HighAltitude View Post
            MGL radios are my favorite. I have bought them for my last three FW. They offer all the bells and whistles for under a pound of weight. I always use the second channel monitoring feature during flight. I can tune the next airport weather or com as I zoom across the sky to stay in touch with traffic.
            Thanks HAlt that was a good tip. It looks great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhsIBV6AxqM
            ...and your endorsement adds credibility since having them three times certainly indicates satisfaction. Could one tune them from an IPad?

I had seen these when looking for small transponders.

http://www.microair.com.au/pages/189/About-Us

Wasn’t sure if they sell them in the US.
            Leigh.

Comment

I don't know if they can be tuned from an ipad. I have a 3x5 card that I print out. Each line lists the airport, radio freq's, pattern altitude, and traffic pattern. I fill one out before I fly. I carry an ipad with foreflight but i tend to enjoy the manual tuning from my 3 x 5. I don't even have my local airports programmed into the memory. I had the V10 in my first plane but I like the knobs on the V6 much better. On my kitfox build, I am using two mini efis panels. I also use MGL transponders in both planes.

Comment

I flew 300+ hours in a Xenon with MGL Xtreme in various conditions (from deserts through Polar Circle) and can second that it is very good for the money. One of its good points is excellent monitor readability in any outer illumination.
                Here are some samples shot by vulgar phone in different weathers:
                Attached Files
                Alex Lameko
                Russian gyroforum
                Visit my collection of gyro videos

Comment

Good info Alex. That is an excellent display.
                  Leigh.

Comment

Originally posted by SandL View Post
                    Brilliant news. House sale, medic back and a new gyro ! 2017 is your year , where will you base it when it passes section T ?
                    so very pleased for you , when do you expect the house actually sell ?
                    Alas 2018 Peter and the house sale is still pending. The new owners I have allowed to move in, and received a down payment, however the deed has not been sorted due to a mistake make in the lands office two weeks ago.

In addition Will Garton-Jones is still working on the section T approval with the CAA.

Slowly does it.

Leigh.

Comment

I have gone with a Garmin 660 for navigation and a G5 for the glass cockpit EFIS. So far I am really liking it. That said, a G5 is in no way necessary. Fortunately the experimental version of the G5 is not super expensive. It's nice to have a "ball", rate of turn, bank angle, VSI, airspeed, and altimeter, all in one small package. The 660 is quite handy for flying in more complex airspace or longer trips.

Comment

Unbelievably payment on house today...but it seems the Genesis is no nearer section T than it was a couple of years ago.

Stan’s (two) weeks in this case have grown into years. That's a real shame I really was hoping.
                        Leigh.

Comment

For a really economical solution; iFly GPS's latest update includes a GPS based EFIS with tape etc in their 740 or tablet package. Hard to beat for what I consider to be the easiest to use GPS out there. iFly is also a great company with the best support in the business.

Comment

Does it cover just the US, or can it be used in Europe?
                            Leigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Resasi View Post
                              Does it cover just the US, or can it be used in Europe?
                              They do update World Area Charts, but you may want to check with them

Comment

I use IFly on a tablet. I very much like the application.

Comment

Working...
                                X